|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Piranha Bytes - Gothic Interview @ Gothicz.net

Default Piranha Bytes - Gothic Interview @ Gothicz.net

April 7th, 2011, 11:32
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Based on the mods you listed recently (IIRC), the changes you needed were actually rather subtle, but they clearly made all the difference to you. I know developers hate offering too many options, but maybe they should think more about these aspects, especially if they don't intend to release modding tools.
Some of the changes I made were not so subtle, like reducing XP gain by nearly 75%. Developers just need to understand that some people want a game that can't just be breezed through without any challenge. Obsidian took some steps with FO:NV.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Why am I not surprised you like brief answers
You mean without 3 or 4 paragraphs of semantics?

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2011, 11:41
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You mean without 3 or 4 paragraphs of semantics?
Yeah, without the annoying reality getting in the way of the simplest conclusion

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 7th, 2011, 15:09
That was a great interview to read, thanks for posting Gorath.

I'm especially pleased that Mike clarified for the fans about the rights to Gothic situation. I also liked his straightforward and candid tone.
The following question and response also amused me greatly:

Gothicz.net: There is not many women in the Gothic series. Don't you feel, that you owe something to the fans concerning this fact?

Mike: No. Please forgive me if I do not elaborate on that. It would be worth a thread an a philosophers' forum.
The Gothic series has a very masculine, no nonsense, quasi-anarchistic, constant struggle to survive kind of feeling about it. So I'm actually very glad Mike doesn't feel the need to justify or coddle over the disparity between men and women in the first two Gothics at least.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

April 7th, 2011, 15:14
Originally Posted by bemushroomed View Post
Yeah people change.
Like the "Earth" RTS developers suddenly beginning to do Two Worlds ?

Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
The Gothic series has a very masculine, no nonsense, quasi-anarchistic, constant struggle to survive kind of feeling about it. So I'm actually very glad Mike doesn't feel the need to justify or coddle over the disparity between men and women in the first two Gothics at least.
Indeed -and that's the reason why I don't like this series.

I guess it would sell insanely within Mexico (the country), with all of this "machismo" culture there …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 7th, 2011, 15:37
Ahh, c'mon Alrik…break the shackles of cultural political correctness…embrace your inner machismo! The games will thank you for it!

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

April 7th, 2011, 16:57
Yeah, and look at that lewd smile on his avatar

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 7th, 2011, 17:45
A fascinating read.

Krzychu

Sentinel

April 8th, 2011, 06:39
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Like the "Earth" RTS developers suddenly beginning to do Two Worlds ?
Pleas dont mention that series I loved the game and it seems they have left the rts genre. I have every game in the series.

Indeed -and that's the reason why I don't like this series.
I guess it would sell insanely within Mexico (the country), with all of this "machismo" culture there
Every male I know loves to play the macho hero and save damsels in distress. One reason I love gothic they represent how each sex was treated in a medieval setting. I have Bioware if I want to play the opposite.

Gothicz.net: What is your opinion on today's trend of developing role-playing games? RPGs are simpler than before and the graphics is mostly the most important game feature. And that's wrong, I think. Do you think it is today possible to release a successful old-school RPG at all?

Mike: Play Fallout 3 - or New Vegas - or both. Then you have your answer.
I disagree on fallout 3 but can agree on fallout NV it was done and written by a better studio. Bethesda has problems with npcs and quests that appear in every game they make. As I said before I hope Risen 2 is a game were they use there past experience and hopefully make it better than there other games. I dont want buggy mess that needs years of patches.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Piranha Bytes - Gothic Interview @ Gothicz.net