|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

February 19th, 2011, 11:42
I am in the middle of "the heroes" by Abercrombie. Nice read, but the plot is typical
(until now). Like Arkadia said, if someone asks my opinion about some reading, i will direct towards first law series

akarthis

Sentinel

February 21st, 2011, 20:22
Thanks for the suggestions, will add them to my list.

Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Next up my ever changing list is Towers of Midnight, book 12, part 2 in the Wheel of Time Series, which I noticed has been out since November last year. Yay me!
I've almost finished reading this one. It's even better than the first book! So much is happening. I can't wait for the final book. Part of me will be sad to see it end, but I'm sure it'll be great as well!

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

March 10th, 2011, 21:01
Finished Das Ferdoker Pergament today.

I can recommend it to Drakensang players (especially those of Drakensang 2), despite its price.

The plot is as "epic" as the one of Drakensang 2 - so, don't expect too much, but a good deal of entertainment is guaranteed !

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 18th, 2011, 13:30
If nothing else, the Oscars can be a good referral source for novels on which movies are based. Often I watch the awards then go looking for these titles.

So I decided to read Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. I enjoyed it for the setting. I only wish it had gone a little more into the characters, but overall a nice read. I look forward to reading more from him.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

March 18th, 2011, 23:22
I'm reading a 'different' fantasy novel by John Wright called Orphans of Chaos. Worth a look.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Last edited by Corwin; March 26th, 2011 at 08:10. Reason: Wrong first name.

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 21st, 2011, 15:44
120 days of sodom by sadeski

"I teach you the Übermensch. Man is something to be surpassed. What have you done to surpass mankind?"
-Some crazy guy that makes me sperge it up

SAGO

Typical RPGWatch user

March 26th, 2011, 01:33
Currently reading Clan of the Cave Bear, an excellent historical fiction by Jean Auel. Main character is a young orphaned Cro-magnon girl raised by a clan of Neanderthals.

Prior to that, it was Debt of Honor, Tom Clancy. Deals with an (primarily) economic war initiated by Japan shortly after the end of the cold war.

Then Timeline, Michael Crichton. An archaeological team ends up trapped in the height of the hundred years war between France and England with a limited amount of time to find each other and get out.

I'll read just about anything in the fiction section that has enough content to last me more than a half hour of straight reading. I have a particular fondness for the historical fiction and fantasy categories.

Heronblade

Watcher

March 28th, 2011, 01:25
Currently listening to (audio books) The Wheel of Time - by Robert Jordan, just finished book 9 - Winter's Heart. It is a most excellent series.

The beauty of audio books is, of course, being able to play most basic games while "reading" at the same time. Multi-tasking ftw.

Sin

Recluse

March 28th, 2011, 01:33
Biological Psychology: An Introduction to Behavioral, Cognitive, and Clinical Neuroscience, 6th Edition.

Where's my gun?

Captain Buzzkill

Sentinel

March 28th, 2011, 02:40
Just started James Patterson's "Angel". It's a YA book, which are tolerable, actually. I'm suffering from Pratchett withdraw however, and intend to thoroughly eat someone tomorrow.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

April 3rd, 2011, 23:25
Originally Posted by Heronblade View Post
Currently reading Clan of the Cave Bear, an excellent historical fiction by Jean Auel. Main character is a young orphaned Cro-magnon girl raised by a clan of Neanderthals.
She made a whole series of that.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 14th, 2011, 19:00
Just finished "The Legend of Drizzt anthology - The collected stories" by R.A. Salvatore. It was very mediocre. Bad quality of writing and I only really liked one story out of 12 in the book.

Arkadia7

Sentinel

April 14th, 2011, 22:00
Yeah, not so good. There are better FR books out there. Not a LOT better, but better. For example, I just read Shandril's Saga trilogy. It wasn't full of too much introspective noodling, and had lots action to keep it moving forwards.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 14th, 2011, 22:15
The Last Mythal trilogy by Richard Baker is decent if you're after a Forgotten Realms setting. I considered it a better read than Salvatore's invincible drow series.

As for what I'm reading, I've had Jack Vance's Dying Earth in front of me for weeks trying to nudge me out of my Minecraft reverie.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

April 15th, 2011, 09:01
Dying Earth sounds interesting, it has been on my radar for a while too, need to put it on my list.

I tried reading Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land but stopped midway through — for some reason I got a bit bored with it. Might finish when I'm out of other options.

Next I read Feist and Forstchen's Honoured Enemy, one of the stand-alone books set in the Midkemia Universe. Good read.

And now I'm reading Modesitt's Recluce Saga, starting with The Magic of Recluce, so far I find it very interesting, partly because it's a fresh setting.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2011, 12:31
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Just finished "The Legend of Drizzt anthology - The collected stories" by R.A. Salvatore. It was very mediocre. Bad quality of writing and I only really liked one story out of 12 in the book.
Salvatore is like that, and after doing the Icewind Dale trilogy and Cleric Quintet I don't read much of his stuff … but finally finished Neverwinter. Pretty much the same thing - some good, some bad …

Also just finished re-reading the Wil Wheaton books and Joyce's Portrait of an Artist. Love that story.

Thinking of starting the 'Game of Thrones' series … would you recommend it?

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 15th, 2011, 13:30
Thinking of starting the 'Game of Thrones' series … would you recommend it?
The first book is super, the second book is great, the third one is good….. kind of disappointing, I like series that get better not worse.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

April 16th, 2011, 00:46
I agree with GG, the series goes downhill rather than up!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

April 16th, 2011, 02:15
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I agree with GG, the series goes downhill rather than up!!
Well, just bought the four book bundle on BN so we can all share it (wife and younger son have nooks and I'll read on iPad)

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 16th, 2011, 03:34
Last I read or listened was Jack Cambells Lost Fleet series 1-5. Its a scifi war series with realistic twist. Im really looking forward to the next audiobook in the series.

Currently Im listening to Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. Now I know that female dwarves have soft beards.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?