|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Highlighting Now Optional

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Highlighting Now Optional

April 18th, 2011, 23:23
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution team has released a video message announcing they have heard the community concern over highlighting and object locating (the gold outlines) and it will be optional. they explain and defend the original choice as being faithful to the fiction but they have responded to the concern. The video also includes some footage, so you can see the differences.
Thanks, Von Paulus.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 18th, 2011, 23:23
Lots of people will have to re-pre-order the game now, I guess.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

April 18th, 2011, 23:29
I pre-ordered the PC version and knew someone would mod this anyway.

It is cool that they listened though. Crap like that should always be an option.

Majnun

SasqWatch

April 18th, 2011, 23:33
That is definitely good news. I absolutely hated that ugly gold highlight bordering on every object, and the video showing the highlighting turned off made the world look much better. Seriously, if they are going to give the option to highlight objects in such an intrusive manner (which they shouldn't!), at least make it a less gaudy color than bright gold.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

April 18th, 2011, 23:38
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Lots of people will have to re-pre-order the game now, I guess.
Well I only cancel my pre orders a few days before they get release. Until the last moment, I know they still can fix some of the issues.
While I don't have much hope in case of The Witcher 2, still, I will only removed my pre order near the release date.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

April 18th, 2011, 23:48
Well, this is good news.

DeepO

deep outside

April 19th, 2011, 00:54
Good to know. I wasn't OMG DIE about it, but I would rather not have it on.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

April 19th, 2011, 01:26
I already wrote it in the other thread but really I can't let that slip through.

Items selection isn't a basic problem, old games letting you search any pixel with your cursor was badly designed games not offering much more, typical adventure games with non logic puzzles where you hadn't much more to do than an intensive cursor seeking.

There's good selectable items seeking but this requires a solid design, otherwise it ends quickly in a tedious cursor seeking. A last minute change like that can only be a fake option. It's more to calm down fans but it won't result in good gameplay.

EDIT: In reality it's not really a problem because only see an item let you know most often what you can do with it. A book, a yeah I can open and read, a glass, ah yeah i can take it and fill it with water, and so on. Alas no game offer such an easy identification of selectable elements. That's why the game needs a solid design to identify it. For example selectable books should have some visual singularity allowing the player identify those non selectable after some experience in the game.

EDIT2: What's fun in searching is only the observation game, not at all the painful cursor seeking. Observation is a complicate task involving identifying, analyzing, cross information, identification of patterns, identification of anomalies, and much more. But this means a lot of care in design.
Last edited by Dasale; April 19th, 2011 at 01:36.

Dasale

SasqWatch

April 19th, 2011, 02:10
Oh thank goodness!!! Just cause there are 10s of millions of stupid gamers that can't think for themselves and must have everything pointed out what to do, doesn't mean that we that can think for ourselves must suffer due to their incompetence!

And damn does it look very good…I sure hope nVidia's new Kepler GPUs {due to release 2nd half of 2011} are released before this game, or I'll just have to wait to play it. <I really need a new DX11 GPU!>

Khalus

Whatever…

April 19th, 2011, 07:46
Good, I"m glad they made it optional. I was still going to get it, but my god did that look bad and I did not want to be hand-held throughout this game. It doesn't take me that long to figure out what the devs had in mind as usable items and what is just scenery.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

April 19th, 2011, 08:07
I like the difficulty level "Give me Deus EX".

Roi Danton

Sentinel

April 19th, 2011, 08:11
Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
Oh thank goodness!!! Just cause there are 10s of millions of stupid gamers that can't think for themselves and must have everything pointed out what to do, doesn't mean that we that can think for ourselves must suffer due to their incompetence!

And damn does it look very good…I sure hope nVidia's new Kepler GPUs {due to release 2nd half of 2011} are released before this game, or I'll just have to wait to play it. <I really need a new DX11 GPU!>
Lol stupid kids and teens tried learned me how bad is DA2 during months, it's clear people tend react on automatism and forget think, they can but they don't and react automatically.

That said for you having to react so high either your vanity is quickly hurt either you are a blind fanboy of the game, even before its release!

Dasale

SasqWatch

April 19th, 2011, 09:15
I'd prefer they redesign the augmentation. If they made that augmentation highlight stuff - there would have to be a reason, and either it's good or they should redo the design to make more sense. Making this optional is telling of yielding because of sheer pressure.

But, I still have a great feeling about the game.

It may be my last sight-unseen AAA purchase - or it may rekindle my hopes

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 19th, 2011, 10:30
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'd prefer they redesign the augmentation. If they made that augmentation highlight stuff - there would have to be a reason, and either it's good or they should redo the design to make more sense. Making this optional is telling of yielding because of sheer pressure.
But at least they care about the opinion of the community. That's always a good sign.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

April 19th, 2011, 10:39
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
But at least they care about the opinion of the community. That's always a good sign.
It's respectful, and that's good.

But, assuming they trust in their own design, I personally don't think it's good to bulk because of pressure.

Still, it's now an option - so bitching about it is pretty silly.

I'm glad I can get rid of the highlighting if it was indeed as bad as it seemed in those videos.
Last edited by DArtagnan; April 20th, 2011 at 09:10.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 19th, 2011, 10:57
I'm not surprised that people reacted so much about an interface feature that noone has actually experienced in action. Still… if the game is designed with that particular feature in mind, then turning it off might simply be an unnecessary handicap.

People really canceled preorders because of that? (Not that I understand why people preorder games that they can as easily find after they've seen a couple of reviews anyway, but) backing up from it because you see out of context a feature that didn't work well on some other game seems really odd to me.

Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
I say that's always a bad sign. Taking into account feedback by people who played your game is a great sign - allowing laymen to influence the creation of something they know next to nothing about doesn't sound good to me at all.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)
Last edited by holeraw; April 19th, 2011 at 16:44.

holeraw

V.G.A.

April 19th, 2011, 20:50
Originally Posted by holeraw
I say that's always a bad sign. Taking into account feedback by people who played your game is a great sign - allowing laymen to influence the creation of something they know next to nothing about doesn't sound good to me at all.
You are exaggerating; Eidos Montreal is not irrationally bowing down to group pressure. The outcry about the highlighting has its roots in the release of the 9min gameplay showcase, so its not unfounded criticism. The actual influence on the creation is also quite minimal, given the fact that its just an additional option of customization.

The whole issue is typical of the differences in viewpoint between a gamer and a developer. For a gamer the first playthrough is usually the most essential part of the gaming experience, while the developers and beta testers often lose sight of this critical first experience.

The developer always knows how to approach a level, while the gamer still has to discover it on his own, so it's quite understandable the issue hasn't come up before in the offices of Eidos Montreal.

Tilean

Watchdog

April 20th, 2011, 04:13
Just another case of listening to the vocal minority. Sometimes it makes for good changes and other times it just ruins a game. It nice that at least it will be optional as I had no problem with it. Does the highlighting actually bug people I dont see it as a problem.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 20th, 2011, 04:38
What's really amusing about the outrage to me is that both Deus Ex games already had highlighting, yet this is seen as some kind of "consolized" or streamlined thing.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

April 20th, 2011, 04:44
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Just another case of listening to the vocal minority. Sometimes it makes for good changes and other times it just ruins a game. It nice that at least it will be optional as I had no problem with it. Does the highlighting actually bug people I dont see it as a problem.
Why do you say it was a minority? Most people on the official forum was against. In most forums and other sites, there was more people complaining than defending it. You can't say it was a minority.

Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
What's really amusing about the outrage to me is that both Deus Ex games already had highlighting.
But not like this. It was one object each time and only when it was near in range to be usable, not 5m away.
Besides there was no highlight in doors, vents and ladders, only usable objects.
I don't have any problems with the original Deus Ex highlight, only with this aberration.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Highlighting Now Optional