|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Daggerdale - Screens @ Worthplaying

Default Daggerdale - Screens @ Worthplaying

May 2nd, 2011, 23:34
Not much to see but despite having released a couple of trailers, these are apparently the first officially sanctioned Daggerdale screens.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 2nd, 2011, 23:34
I hope you can turn off the crazy trails of whatever following the weapons I guess.

sakichop

SasqWatch

May 3rd, 2011, 00:31
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
I hope you can turn off the crazy trails of whatever following the weapons I guess.
Very doubtful if this type of game would have that kind of customization.

Tbh, it just looks like Dungeon Siege 2 to me, it's hard to get excited about such an overdone concept / style.

Sin

Recluse

May 3rd, 2011, 01:23
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
Very doubtful if this type of game would have that kind of customization.

Tbh, it just looks like Dungeon Siege 2 to me, it's hard to get excited about such an overdone concept / style.

I agree. I just don't understand why they decided to make a B grade game. There is a goldmine in the D&D license so why not go all out and make a hard core D&D game with and epic story? I am curious to see what the new Neverwinter will be like, but there still is so much more that can be done with that license…

spiraling69

Sentinel

May 3rd, 2011, 02:14
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
I agree. I just don't understand why they decided to make a B grade game. There is a goldmine in the D&D license so why not go all out and make a hard core D&D game with and epic story? I am curious to see what the new Neverwinter will be like, but there still is so much more that can be done with that license…
I'm gonna guess that they like money? I'd bet any sum you'd like that a middling-to-decent action-game-with-skill-trees would earn more than a hardcore d&d game. I'd *love* a hardcore d&d game but they become less likely as studio budgets increase.

moonmonster

Watcher

May 3rd, 2011, 12:21
Nonsense, the BGs and NWNs sold in the millions, go see how much Demon Stone, Daggerdale and its ilk make.

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

May 3rd, 2011, 12:24
I'm afraid the days of seeing an old school D&D license game are over. Development costs are on the rise and the market for that type of game is getting smaller. Its the same thing that's happened to jrpgs. If you dont change to cater the market tastes your games gets reviewed poorly and is doomed no matter if its good. Its sad but that's the reality of the game business. I was looking forward to NWN3 instead I'm getting an mmo that can be played solo. Not what I wanted.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

May 3rd, 2011, 14:28
Actually, there is a 8 minute long preview by a Polish magazine which showcases the game, the interface and overall gameplay.

Take a look at it on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYpde…eature=related

No I dont understand Polish too. =p But it seems they refer to it as a hack and slash game with rpg elements - I would have rather wanted it to be the other way around, but I guess that's the sign of the times these days.

Anyway, take a peek, it pretty much shows what you've all probably expected/feared.

TiclaDesign

Traveler

May 3rd, 2011, 15:06
Originally Posted by KapitanUnterhosen View Post
Nonsense, the BGs and NWNs sold in the millions, go see how much Demon Stone, Daggerdale and its ilk make.
Maybe NWN sold more but the development costs were a lot higher. And now the questions is which game makes more profit.

And there are of course a dozen or so other issues that factor in choosing what sort of game is developed.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

May 3rd, 2011, 15:45
Dunno about the game but i hate weapon trails
… although the arrow in the forehead force field is kind of funny

Tragos

Otinanist

May 3rd, 2011, 17:36
I also think the days of D&D tabletop simulation games are over. I use the term "tabletop simulation" to avoid the loaded and silly term "hardcore."

People who actually know D&D rules coming into a computer game are getting older. I'm 40 now and grew up with tabletop games and very rudimentary CRPGs that closely emulated tabletop play. The younger market grew up with MMORPGs and action rpgs, and this is the way the business is evolving. I find it extremely unlikely that any large company will ever release a game again where the player is expected to be at least somewhat familiar with the rules of a tabletop game before playing.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

May 3rd, 2011, 20:20
Yes, but there's also a "Retro" fashion currently growing …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 3rd, 2011, 21:35
Well, I don't see a growing retro fashion, but I hope I read about it someday here on RPG Watch.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

May 3rd, 2011, 22:03
I don't know da2 had so little quality content that it could fit on a 5.25 floppy. Is that retro gaming.

sakichop

SasqWatch

May 3rd, 2011, 23:30
Well, what I mean that there are 1-2 gaming magazines about Retro Gaming here.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 5th, 2011, 05:22
Gotta love the quote at the top of the box art:

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Daggerdale - Screens @ Worthplaying