|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Skill Trees, Alchemy, Australian Censorship

Default The Witcher 2 - Skill Trees, Alchemy, Australian Censorship

May 6th, 2011, 01:59
Here's a handful of Witcher 2 newsbits we've collected.
SegmentNext has a Character Skils and Talent Tree Guide, if you'd like to check over the character development options (thank, Zohaib).
The Witcher Vault has an interview specifically on Alchemy, with Tomasz Gop answering questions. There are also tips, comments and screens, so worth a look if you like the Alchemy aspect.
Games On Net notes the Australian version has been changed slightly to fit censorship rules:
Only one thing was changed: Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest. The idea of receiving sex as a reward was not suitable for inclusion within an MA15+ classification, so Namco Bandai requested that CD Projekt remove the option of choosing to have sex as one of the rewards for that quest. The quest and the character who offers it are still in the game, but presented in a "slightly different context"
(thanks Zohaib for a similar submission)
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 6th, 2011, 01:59
I was getting ready to bag Aussies censorship, but wow… that's all that got altered?
From the same country that banned Risen? Did a serious shake up happen across the ditch while I wasn't looking?

Sin

Recluse

May 6th, 2011, 02:44
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
I was getting ready to bag Aussies censorship, but wow… that's all that got altered?
From the same country that banned Risen? Did a serious shake up happen across the ditch while I wasn't looking?
Well one state is likely to be getting an R classification for games (amusingly, the state which originally prevented the country from getting an R classification in the first place), but that doesn't really affect the changes in this instance.

Couldn't the developers have changed the quest to give an item reward with something a little extra on the side *cough*, rather than making 2 versions of the game? I suppose that is still a compromise in the end…

Scrav

Watchdog

May 6th, 2011, 05:18
Damnit, no sex for quests?
Looks like that VPN to the US will be coming in useful again.

Not that I would ever choose sex as a reward. I think most RPGers would choose the big sword reward over sex, that is pretty much a given if you play RPGs
"Hey baby, come back to my place, I have some kick arse RPGs" Doesn't really cut it does it.

pox67

Watchdog

May 6th, 2011, 05:52
Was Fallout: New Vegas censored in AUS? That questline in The Thorn ends with sex as a reward.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

May 6th, 2011, 06:10
So they have an issue with sex in the game, but no problem with hacking people up with a sword?

I've always found that logic strange. We have the same type of censorship in the US, but not as extreme.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2011, 06:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
So they have an issue with sex in the game, but no problem with hacking people up with a sword?

I've always found that logic strange. We have the same type of censorship in the US, but not as extreme.
Not so much of an issue with sex, but sex as a reward.

But yeah, certain religious groups have far more power than they should when it comes to manipulating politics.

Scrav

Watchdog

May 6th, 2011, 07:20

It's not as simple as that. The censorship laws (which do need overhauling) have a sensible basis, even if it's not well applied. They specifically don't like violence mixed with sex (eg, killing hookers then stealing their money in GTAx), for example.

Sex as a quest reward being unsuitable for an M15 rating doesn't sound extreme to me per se; what we need is a wider ratings system.

As for the US, you guys are far more extreme than us when it comes to TV, so both systems are flawed.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 6th, 2011, 07:40
The US is not really extreme with TV, some of the stuff on cable over there - Game of Thrones, True Blood, Dexter etc (all great shows, btw) are all very explicit.

Anyway, on GoG's Facebook page they strongly implied that although Australia would get a slightly censored release, there would be mods available basically on release day to restore the content.

Badesumofu

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2011, 08:25
Originally Posted by Badesumofu View Post
The US is not really extreme with TV, some of the stuff on cable over there - Game of Thrones, True Blood, Dexter etc (all great shows, btw) are all very explicit.
Yeah, it's only our public airwaves that are monitored and censored to hell and back. Cable channels are pretty out there, especially premium channels.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

May 6th, 2011, 08:55
One point that is given little work in so called RPGs and has not progressed much: the levelling system. Heroes of their game universe starting from the bottom and climbing the ladder.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2011, 09:08
I don't find US cable channels to be extraordinarily explicit. With violence yes, but certainly not with sex. I guess everyone has a different idea of what's considered explicit though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2011, 09:32
Lots of info here (I don't mind being spoiled on game mechanics).

Mixed bag of changes, some go toward streamlining and some toward adding more depth
and complexity.

Very interesting to see how it plays in the end but I see no Red flags here at least.
(sad to see albedo etc go though, I kinda liked combining ingredients to get that secondary
effect/extra potency )

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2011, 09:46
From a quick glance it looks like you are taking damage while blocking ….

Also there are a lot of +vitality skills which i think is good for players like me who play on very easy.

Tragos

Otinanist

May 6th, 2011, 10:35
The funny thing is that many Anthropologists nowadays tend more and more to believe that this "sex as an reward" scheme was developed early within the development of humanity.

Which is essentially the reason why this game was banned for.

We have evolved through this, and some anthropologists even believe that humankind came to walking because of that.

The theory is - in short - that men began to "bind" women and their sex exclusively to them through providing them with food.

And that could have led to the use of the arms for carrying things, rather than for walking.

And now, Australian censorship bans a game for what made humans walking entities ? Silly.

Here is the complete article : http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n…ssils-sex.html

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 6th, 2011, 12:12
I don't find US cable channels to be extraordinarily explicit. With violence yes, but certainly not with sex. I guess everyone has a different idea of what's considered explicit though.
Well there is not a ton of nudity on basic cable but those channels are chock full of sex if you ask me. Sex is freaking everywhere. Then on premium channels you have nudity as well.

I'm sure it's subjective though. I know certain countries have topless women on game shows and crazy stuff like that.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

May 6th, 2011, 12:32
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
Well there is not a ton of nudity on basic cable but those channels are chock full of sex if you ask me. Sex is freaking everywhere. Then on premium channels you have nudity as well.
Very minor nudity, yes. It's about on par with a typical R rated movie. You might see some breast here and there, but rarely anything beyond that.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2011, 15:42
Very minor nudity, yes. It's about on par with a typical R rated movie. You might see some breast here and there, but rarely anything beyond that.
HBO and such do constant full frontals and tons of nudity.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

May 6th, 2011, 16:09
As I´ve mentioned already somewhere, I like the trees.
Thematically fitting, not filled with miniscule increments or outrageous abilities.
The alchemy tree seems to be going well hand in hand with how drinking potions works in the game.
Each specialization seems viable and, also adding mutagens to the mix, I think I´ll have fun trying to come up with the most effective jack of all trades build.
Hopefully on hard the game will be hard this time.

Also, if I understand it correctly, Geralt is able to cast basic versions of each sign right from the start and that´s good, the first game imo didn´t go well about this - by the time player was able to learn all the signs, he has most likely invested into the first two available (aard, igni) and since these were also the most useful ones, there was little incentive to invest into others.
I´m also glad the bronze/silver/gold talent mechanics is no longer present as it made character development in the first game waaay too straightforward.

I wonder how social skills fit into this. Are they tied to some of the existing skills or?

All in all, the system seems good to me, hopefully it´ll "perform" well in-game.

What you think about most, is what you become.
Last edited by DeepO; May 6th, 2011 at 16:23.

DeepO

deep outside

May 6th, 2011, 22:17
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
HBO and such do constant full frontals and tons of nudity.
You're greatly exaggerating, and still missing the point anyways.

The sexual content is still nowhere near the level of violence. In quantity or graphic realism.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Skill Trees, Alchemy, Australian Censorship