|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age 2 » Dragon Age 2 Play thread

Default Dragon Age 2 Play thread

April 20th, 2011, 17:31
Spells just aren't very interesting in DA2. The few enemy mages I encounter seem to blast me with some effect. I can't tell what the effect is. I've never been put to sleep, or had any other interesting effect hit my party. The spells that your own party gets are either damage dealing or stun/sleep type effects.

It's ridiculous to compare this to BG 1 or 2, as that used and attempted to simulate the well-established D&D rules. The spell system there was immensely more complex than DA 1 or 2.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

April 20th, 2011, 18:31
Combat is an important part of the game but it doesn't make or break the game. Not in my opinion. It's the "other" stuff which made DA2 such a forgettable game for me. Tiny game world, gross re-use of resources, boring and repeatable quests and "decisions" being constantly forced upon you. I have keep playing this game hoping that it will get better but in never did. And the ending… what a fucking downer!!!

zahratustra

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2011, 20:43
Being put to sleep or similar thing in BG was tedious design for me I never enjoyed it and always end wear asap helm protecting agaisnt mental spells or some similar resistances.

Also I don't like at all the D&D spell system requiring learn few spells not knowing the context where you'll use them. The result is this spell diversity is fake, in practice you don't have memorize that much different spells.

But I do agree mage enemies in DA2 could use more diversifed spells, myself I feel good they don't use a wide range of spells making hard to predict their moves, but there could be more different mages.

Dasale

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2011, 21:01
Yeah, the majority of spells in BG 1&2 I never touched, and in my opinion the system was more complicated than it needed to be. Once you knew what dispelling or piercing spells you needed for X or Y you were set (etc.), and having to know specific spells ahead of time just made for meta-gaming… Strategic saving and reloading.

But it would be nice to have more variety in DA games.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

April 21st, 2011, 05:45
Hehe, yeah, good old D&D. There were tons of cool 3rd level spells - all ignored. Fireball for the big areas, lightning bolt for a slightly finer touch. Especially at high levels when you're pouring out a bucket of dice for your damage. Magic missles and maybe a knock spell for first level. Cone of Cold for fourth. Second level, before Melf's Acid Arrow came around, was a complete wasteland.

BG inherited that spells system and had the same problem. Tons of spells they had to support even though most folks are only using a few kinds. Also lots of camping in dungeons, which seemed more than a little silly. ("Hey Joe, wasn't Bob the Troll supposed to come over to our room dinner last night?" "Yeah, he never showed! But I heard a bunch of adventurers singing and snooring just down the hall. I couldn't attack them in their sleep, though because…umm… because they need to have a fighting chance. Yeah. Just wouldn't be sporting.")

Still having fun in DA2 but I'm still in the 'companion gathering' phase. I've pretty much given up on the high resolution package - why did they even release that thing? Hard difficulty is still kicking me around from time to time. I'm not leaving the fighter lying dead quite as often as I did in DA:O but hey, Sten deserved it. I haven't even looked into runes, crafting, or even the tactics window yet. Gotta do that last one soon.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 2nd, 2011, 04:02
Holy anhkheg meat, this game got hard all of the sudden! Dragons at level 10!?

Edit: Dragon defeated! Took an awful lot of running around but it worked. Now I'm getting beat on again a bit further in.
Last edited by Zloth; May 2nd, 2011 at 06:04.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 2nd, 2011, 17:13
I found it pretty inconsistent difficulty-wise. At least the dragons are optional. Some of the other difficulty spikes are in the main story, and no way around them as far as I know.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

May 2nd, 2011, 17:40
I couldnt believe how crazy those "saarebas" casters are, talk about a sudden spike - one zap and most of my crew is at about 10 hP!

Woke me up real quick

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 2nd, 2011, 18:04
I got fed up near the end and went to Casual. I've never been a big fan of "epic" end battles in CRPGs anyway.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

May 7th, 2011, 06:31
Well, I've learned one very important lesson in this game - don't do more than a couple of quests in parallel. In the first chapter I just grabbed every quest I could. As I went from area to area, I advanced every quest in the area. Terrible. I couldn't keep the stories straight at all. (Names stick to me like a greased pig, which didn't help.) Huh? What's that little boy doing here? I guess I'm supposed to be rescuing him?

Get a couple of quests and do them. When they are done, go hunting a couple more. It's been working MUCH better for me going through chapter 2.

I've been able to stick with hard difficulty for all my battles except for the last one in chapter 1. Like others have noted before, there's a wide gap between normal and hard. I went from "I'll never get this thing to half health" to "didn't even need a potion". Thank goodness we can change difficulty on the fly but they really could use a 'challenging' difficulty between normal and hard.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age 2 » Dragon Age 2 Play thread