|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Roundup #3

Default The Witcher 2 - Roundup #3

May 17th, 2011, 05:04
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
My apologies. If I knew you were going to respond like an angry child I wouldn't have said anything.
LOL were you bullied as a child?

It's nice to see a company put their money where their mouth is and it'll be interesting to see what sort of sales results they get. I don't think good will can make much difference in this situation though, most people just aren't that thoughtful.

Why for example do people in my otherwise very professional office wee on the toilet seat? They're not evil, the impact they have on others just doesn't seem to enter their heads, and if they can get away with it anonymously then they will.
badmofo is offline

badmofo

badmofo's Avatar
Tired but happy

#41

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 364

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 05:14
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
LOL were you bullied as a child?
"LOL"…nope. Is that your idea of trolling?


Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I don't think good will can make much difference in this situation though, most people just aren't that thoughtful.
Unfortunately, I think you're 100% right about that.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#42

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,800

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 07:10
couch potato is a self-confessed pirate. I would advise simply ignoring his posts.

My GoG edition is downloading right now. It's the 17th here and I'm not sure when it will unlock for me, but I don't have time to play it for a couple of days anyway. I have a good feeling about this one.
Badesumofu is offline

Badesumofu

Badesumofu's Avatar
SasqWatch

#43

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 453

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 07:23
My gog edition is nearly done and my CE is on its way. Can't wait to get back from work today, thankfully tomorrow is a public holiday here.
stefan9 is offline

stefan9

Watcher

#44

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pretoria,South Africa
Posts: 68

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 07:45
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Ah.. yes, the "emotionally invested" thing. It's almost starting to become amusing how you use the same line over and over again.
It's only because it's so common

As far as wanting to hear about the game, bullshit. You can't wait less than 24 hours for the legit version?
What are you talking about?

The reason this is interesting to me, is that we're talking about a major PC exclusive, and a CRPG no less. I'm very interested to see if such a game, that we all want to do well, can become a big hit despite a pre-launch release on the scene.

Because if it can, it means people are going to have to start thinking about what's REALLY "destroying PC gaming". You see, my theory is that it's pure greed - and nothing else.

About piracy, well. It's like guns. Guns kill people, and they kill a lot of people. Does that mean they're evil? I don't know. Personally, I think piracy is what you do with it, and why you do it. I know it's human nature to be greedy - and the trick is to realise that we're all human in that way. The people financing games want to make money, so they're telling everyone - including themselves - that piracy makes PC a non-viable platform. Some people believe that, and that's fine.

Other people are greedy because they pirate and don't want to support anyone for their effort - which is another kind of greed.

One thing I've learned, is that every single human being on Earth does something akin to this - and has his or her reason for doing it. That includes you, and that's why taking your tantrum here seriously, is hard to do.

To throw a child-like tantrum because someone mentions a scene release is pretty silly, and it goes to show just how far the suits have come with that bullshit excuse to move away from quality PC games.

We're on an established RPG site - and I'm pretty sure people here will support The Witcher 2 - regardless of this kind of information. Those who won't, wouldn't have done it anyway.

As for The Witcher 2 - I hope it's as good as it seems, and I hope it will be a smash if it's deserved.

If such a game can become a major hit, it would be fantastic not just for CDPR - but for the industry and CRPG fans as well.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#45

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 07:50
Originally Posted by Badesumofu View Post
couch potato is a self-confessed pirate. I would advise simply ignoring his posts.

My GoG edition is downloading right now. It's the 17th here and I'm not sure when it will unlock for me, but I don't have time to play it for a couple of days anyway. I have a good feeling about this one.
I'm a pirate as well, so do us both a favor and place me on ignore.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#46

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 08:54
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It's only because it's so common .
You mean that *you* are the one who's "emotionally invested"? Yes, I think most of us can see the obvious.

It's telling when you take the time to write a 9+ paragraph long post in one of your typical attempts to be condescending, all because you don't share the same opinion as others.

I'd love to spend the morning going back and forth with you, and watching you be your usual d-bag self, but I'm unlocking my copy of TW2 as I type this.

Have a nice day.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#47

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,800

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 09:09
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'm a pirate as well, so do us both a favor and place me on ignore.
Well, talk about double morals here you go around complaining how greedy everyone has become and all that stuff. But you are too greedy yourself too. Unlike a lot of other people here.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#48

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,206

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 09:49
Originally Posted by stefan9 View Post
My gog edition is nearly done and my CE is on its way. Can't wait to get back from work today, thankfully tomorrow is a public holiday here.
Could you (or the other GOG customers) tell if the GOG version allows to download on a computer and install on a non connected computer? How does it work for updates, patches and all? Can you get them without being connected?

DRM free only interests me if that ends the dependency on the Internet. If it is not, well, it does not. I am not opposed to the DRM scheme as long as it does not go through another service like an Internet connection.

Thanks for the piece of information.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#49

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,071

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:02
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Well, talk about double morals here you go around complaining how greedy everyone has become and all that stuff. But you are too greedy yourself too. Unlike a lot of other people here.
I just said we're all greedy. Learn to read

I'm not the one complaining about it, though.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#50

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:06
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You mean that *you* are the one who's "emotionally invested"? Yes, I think most of us can see the obvious.
Yup, I'm crying as I type this

It's telling when you take the time to write a 9+ paragraph long post in one of your typical attempts to be condescending, all because you don't share the same opinion as others.
It's hard not to be condescending when people are being silly - but I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I'd love to spend the morning going back and forth with you, and watching you be your usual d-bag self, but I'm unlocking my copy of TW2 as I type this.

Have a nice day.
Have fun with the game. I won't get to play it properly until the weekend - but I have a good feeling about it.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#51

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:06
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I just said we're all greedy. Learn to read

I'm not the one complaining about it, though.
Well, I tend to disagree since I really don't consider myself greedy. Besides the best way to start is to start with yourself if you want to change something.

That's what a lot of bosses, politicians and other people these days don't understand IMHO.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#52

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,206

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:09
I could be wrong but I think the difference between those two being pirates and the majority of pirates is that both have or will buy the game. And that's great. Enjoy living in candyland.

Whatever noble bullshit you believe, most people that torrent a game do not buy it. The fact that YOU do is wonderful, fine. But defending piracy because YOU buy the game after deciding it's worth playing is stupid. Most people who download the game illegally will never give a dime to the developers. Sure, when there is no demo and you have no other way to try the game I understand it (for honest people). But if you really believe 1/100th of the people who download a game illegally to "try" it and then LIKE the game actually BUY the game…you are delusional.

Yes, in candyland it would be wonderful if everyone could torrent a game and then be guaranteed to buy it if they actually like it. But this ain't candyland.
Majnun is offline

Majnun

SasqWatch

#53

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 328

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:13
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Well, I tend to disagree since I really don't consider myself greedy. Besides the best way to start is to start with yourself if you want to change something.
Starting with yourself involves realising that you ARE greedy, GG.

There's a reason I bought The Witcher 2 - and there's a reason I buy so many games. It's my way of not being greedy about it.

However, I'm greedy in many other ways. It's hard to go against your nature.

That's what a lot of bosses, politicians and other people these days don't understand IMHO.
Bosses, politicians, and other people are exactly like you. They're just in a position where their greed has far-reaching and visible effects.

The key is understanding, and pointing fingers at others won't really change much.

Pointing fingers at pirates as "evil" without realising that they're not all one entity with an identical motivation and ways of going about it - is silly.

Sometimes, thinking instead of reacting can help to understand other people
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#54

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:14
Originally Posted by Majnun View Post
I could be wrong but I think the difference between those two being pirates and the majority of pirates is that both have or will buy the game. And that's great. Enjoy living in candyland.

Whatever noble bullshit you believe, most people that torrent a game do not buy it. The fact that YOU do is wonderful, fine. But defending piracy because YOU buy the game after deciding it's worth playing is stupid. Most people who download the game illegally will never give a dime to the developers. Sure, when there is no demo and you have no other way to try the game I understand it (for honest people). But if you really believe 1/100th of the people who download a game illegally to "try" it and then LIKE the game actually BUY the game…you are delusional.

Yes, in candyland it would be wonderful if everyone could torrent a game and then be guaranteed to buy it if they actually like it. But this ain't candyland.
I'm not defending piracy.

So, try again
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#55

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:17
Originally Posted by DArtagnan
Starting with yourself involves realising that you ARE greedy, GG.
Am I really? and how do you know that? Because everyone is greedy?

What about monks who live with minimum food and spend their life without owning anything material and helping others, are they greedy too ?

Or the people who go to work as volunteers in Vietnam to help poor people without getting any pay? when they could be earning a lot of money working in their home country? I have a friend who is doing just that, I really admire her.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#56

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,206

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:26
The 'war' against piracy has been lost long ago anyway.
The sooner the industry accepts it the sooner they can embrace it and try to find a way to benefit from it instead of just creating all that pointless drama that only makes them appear sad and helpless.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)
holeraw is offline

holeraw

holeraw's Avatar
V.G.A.

#57

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 693

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:33
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Am I really? and how do you know that? Because everyone is greedy?
Exactly.

What about monks who live with minimum food and spend their life without owning anything material and helping others, are they greedy too ?
Yep.

Or the people who go to work as volunteers in Vietnam to help poor people without getting any pay? when they could be earning a lot of money working in their home country? I have a friend who is doing just that, I really admire her.
I'm not saying actions can't be admirable. I'm saying it's human nature to be greedy.

At least, that's my claim. If you want me to prove that every single individual in the world is greedy - I can't. So, if you don't agree - there's little I can do.

It's my experience that being human is always a balance, and sometimes people try to make a difference in certain ways to compensate for something else.

So, while I think it's quite alright and understandable to point at piracy as a detriment to the industry - even if I don't agree about the extent - I think it's silly to be overly emotional about it. Why? Because such anger is misguided - and might as well be pointed inwards.

Piracy is not inherently destructive or "evil" - but it's unfortunately true that the vast majority who practice it - don't do it with much thought, and they're actively hurting the industry. However, the extent to which they're "destroying" the PC market is vastly exaggerated - or so I believe.

But that's not really my point.

So boil it down:

Piracy isn't the problem - human nature is.

Capitalism isn't the problem - human nature is.

Communism isn't the problem - human nature is.

Get it?
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#58

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,387

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:37
Originally Posted by DArtagnan
What about monks who live with minimum food and spend their life without owning anything material and helping others, are they greedy too ?

Yep.

Or the people who go to work as volunteers in Vietnam to help poor people without getting any pay? when they could be earning a lot of money working in their home country? I have a friend who is doing just that, I really admire her.

I'm not saying actions can't be admirable. I'm saying it's human nature to be greedy.
Well, I am really curious to know why you think these monks and my friend who choose to go work as a volunteer is greedy….. since you reply yes to the question without any hesitation, do you perhaps have a motivation for saying yes? in what aspect are they greedy? because they still eat and don't starve to death giving food to others? Well, I could actually find someone doing that too if you really wanted. In order to break the statement "All human are greedy" I just need to prove that there is one single person who is not and it falls.

Now if you say the majority is greedy, all I can do is agree with you. That would be another discussion.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#59

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,206

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 10:44
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
The 'war' against piracy has been lost long ago anyway.
The sooner the industry accepts it the sooner they can embrace it and try to find a way to benefit from it instead of just creating all that pointless drama that only makes them appear sad and helpless.
The war against shoplifting has been lost long ago anyway. The sooner the supermarket accepts it the sooner they can embrace it and try to find a way to benefti from it instead of just creating all that pointles drama that only makes them appear sad and helpless.


I can see it already: "Pirate Promo week!" First one to successfully illegally distribute our game, gets our next two games for free! Send cracked exe and proof of 1000 illegal downloads to our cardboard box under Brooklyn Bridge by the end of the month!
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#60

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,481
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Roundup #3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch