|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Review @ Desctructoid

Default The Witcher 2 - Review @ Desctructoid

May 27th, 2011, 13:38
Originally Posted by Daddy32 View Post
And I often repeat that someone calling someone's attempts at argumentation and fact-finding "just an opinion" are brain dead zombies unable of thinking critically and blindly defending zero-brain approach to anything.

Sterling IS troll. That is a provable fact.

Nothing arrogant about saying so (and even if, arrogant != stupid).
Please tell me you're joking. Do you honestly believe you can prove that he's a troll in an objective way?

I'd love to see you try, though maybe this thread is not the right place for it.

If you really believe you can prove such a thing in such a way, I'm going to have to consider that both arrogant and stupid.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#41

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,153

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 14:03
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
He doesn't like the game, so what? Why shouldn't we respect everyone's taste?
If the reviewer states his/her tastes before starting a review (or has a permanent link to them), reviews based on tastes are excellent. After all, if your tastes are the same as the reviewer, you might come to appreciate the same games as the reviewer.

This reviewer does nothing like that. He takes another path, that is accessing the qualities of the game, independently of his tastes.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#42

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,024

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 15:24
This is lunacy. He gave it a 6/10. It's not a great score, but it's not a horrible score either. You can't claim he's trolling by giving a game a 6/10.

Just reading the various threads around here and comments from people who like the game shows many negative comments. It sounds like everyone was creaming real hard over this when they first installed it and now are mentioning the various bugs and problems it has. Anyone remember the first Witcher? All the problems it had until a completely revamped "enhanced" edition came out?

I swear I hate video game culture.
Ovenall is offline

Ovenall

Ovenall's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#43

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downtown Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,023

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 15:27
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
This is lunacy. He gave it a 6/10. It's not a great score, but it's not a horrible score either. You can't claim he's trolling by giving a game a 6/10.

Just reading the various threads around here and comments from people who like the game shows many negative comments. It sounds like everyone was creaming real hard over this when they first installed it and now are mentioning the various bugs and problems it has. Anyone remember the first Witcher? All the problems it had until a completely revamped "enhanced" edition came out?

I swear I hate video game culture.
While we agree about the first thing, I find the second thing REALLY amusing - coming from you.

You see, I clearly remember your pre-release disposition towards Dragon Age 2 - and how you've downplayed its weaknesses ever since.

I swear I hate video game culture.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#44

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,153

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 16:36
Not sure what you're talking about. I never claimed to love DA2. I thought it was pretty good though. Overall I'd give it a 7 or 8/10, which is a high score in my opinion.

What was my "pre-release disposition towards Dragon Age 2"? As I remember it, I was optimistic and wasn't full of gloom and doom before ever actually playing the damn thing. Bioware makes solid games that I almost always enjoy, so why shouldn't I have looked forward to it? Fretting and complaining based on press releases and "news" stories from video game blogs — before the game is even available — is remarkably stupid.

I haven't "downplayed" anything. DA2 has weaknesses, but it was solid, enjoyable and almost entirely bug-free. To me, for a game to be even somewhat good, I need to be able to play it without crashes or major bugs, long loading screens or slow, annoying gameplay. Once it achieves that minimum, I can judge whether it is "good" or not. Isn't my favorite game ever, but it's near the top in my opinion. I enjoyed it as much as DA1, which I found extremely slow and boring in some parts. Games have flaws. Acknowledging flaws is OK.

But the hell of it is: I really like DA2. I can't wait for more DLC. So my optimism before it came out wasn't naive. It turned out to be well founded.
Last edited by Ovenall; May 27th, 2011 at 16:45. Reason: Clarity
Ovenall is offline

Ovenall

Ovenall's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#45

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downtown Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,023

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 17:17
I'm not going to read it but I find a 6/10 more convincing than the endless parade of >9/10.
As I see it reviewers should only touch 9 when they are absolutely convinced that what they are reviewing is about to make a significant impact in human culture as a whole and the final 10th point should only be awarded by 'history'.

Then again giving scores like the reviewer is some sort of school teacher is just dumb.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)
holeraw is offline

holeraw

holeraw's Avatar
V.G.A.

#46

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 693

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 17:20
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. I never claimed to love DA2. I thought it was pretty good though. Overall I'd give it a 7 or 8/10, which is a high score in my opinion.

What was my "pre-release disposition towards Dragon Age 2"? As I remember it, I was optimistic and wasn't full of gloom and doom before ever actually playing the damn thing. Bioware makes solid games that I almost always enjoy, so why shouldn't I have looked forward to it? Fretting and complaining based on press releases and "news" stories from video game blogs — before the game is even available — is remarkably stupid.

I haven't "downplayed" anything. DA2 has weaknesses, but it was solid, enjoyable and almost entirely bug-free. To me, for a game to be even somewhat good, I need to be able to play it without crashes or major bugs, long loading screens or slow, annoying gameplay. Once it achieves that minimum, I can judge whether it is "good" or not. Isn't my favorite game ever, but it's near the top in my opinion. I enjoyed it as much as DA1, which I found extremely slow and boring in some parts. Games have flaws. Acknowledging flaws is OK.

But the hell of it is: I really like DA2. I can't wait for more DLC. So my optimism before it came out wasn't naive. It turned out to be well founded.
I think the point is that I perceived you just like you seem to be perceiving fans of The Witcher 2.

If you can't see that, it's no problem.

I was just amused by it.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#47

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,153

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 17:29
I was comenting on the fact that people here are upset that someone on the internet gave the Witcher 2 a score of 6/10 and see this as "trolling".

I certainly didn't get upset by middling scores or sensible criticisms of DA2. What got me was people excoriating the game before release, then drama-queening about how Bioware has betrayed them, spit in their faces, killed the RPG, never again, etc.

But whatever.
Ovenall is offline

Ovenall

Ovenall's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#48

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downtown Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,023

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 17:54
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
I was comenting on the fact that people here are upset that someone on the internet gave the Witcher 2 a score of 6/10 and see this as "trolling".
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's trolling in this particular instance, but Sterling has definitely done reviews in the past that were obvious cries for attention. Like giving Alpha Protocol a 2/10. I didn't like Alpha Protocol personally, but to score it a 2/10 was ridiculously unrealistic, and can't even be taken seriously.

I realize reviews are 100% subjective, but there's no way TW2 is a 6/10. I'd like to know what crpgs this guy has been playing lately that are so good he considers TW2 a 6/10 by his standards.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#49

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,644

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 18:01
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
I was comenting on the fact that people here are upset that someone on the internet gave the Witcher 2 a score of 6/10 and see this as "trolling".

I certainly didn't get upset by middling scores or sensible criticisms of DA2. What got me was people excoriating the game before release, then drama-queening about how Bioware has betrayed them, spit in their faces, killed the RPG, never again, etc.

But whatever.
As JDR points out what I meant was his past reviews. His history in internet. I dont think they call him the "Biggest troll in the internet" for no reason?

As for witcher review perhaps he has just became better in his hobby. Best trolls are those you dont notice. Score of 6/10 is perfect for gathering attention while 2/10 would be too much of obvious troll.

Does the review point out why he gives 6/10? What kind of review scale does he use? Is it a waste of time trying to figure it out?

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#50

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,973

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 18:05
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
I certainly didn't get upset by middling scores or sensible criticisms of DA2.
His report is not sensible. It does not speak of the game. See boss fights. In the Kayran fight, the tip comes after ten, fifty seconds after the start. Nothing that could justify the reviewer's stance of being let out of a cryptic pattern to follow.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#51

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,024

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 21:11
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Go on metacritic.com, check "reviewers" who gave 0 to the witcher 2. almost all of them gave 10 to dragon age 2.
Symptomatic of our times. Don't acknowledge the extremists, ignore their inputs, and maybe we will get back to some rationale behavior and discussions.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#52

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,936

Default 

May 27th, 2011, 21:35
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Please tell me you're joking. Do you honestly believe you can prove that he's a troll in an objective way?

I'd love to see you try, though maybe this thread is not the right place for it.

If you really believe you can prove such a thing in such a way, I'm going to have to consider that both arrogant and stupid.
Hahaha.

There is no such thing as objectivity.

Only interpretations.

My nihilism syndrome is so high right now.

"I teach you the Übermensch. Man is something to be surpassed. What have you done to surpass mankind?"
-Some crazy guy that makes me sperge it up
SAGO is offline

SAGO

SAGO's Avatar
Typical RPGWatch user

#53

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virgin Islands
Posts: 315

Default 

May 28th, 2011, 08:46
If you are afflicted with nihilism syndrome then you are set for objectivity. Or that might be nothing like nihilism syndrome.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#54

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,024
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Review @ Desctructoid
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch