|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

June 29th, 2011, 23:25
Originally Posted by Captain Buzzkill View Post
I would rather put a campfire out with my face.
Don't believe the hype, DNF isn't that bad. I finished it earlier this week, and it's about on par with most of the shooters we've received the last few years. It sucks badly if you compare it to DN3D though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 30th, 2011, 01:04
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Don't believe the hype, DNF isn't that bad. I finished it earlier this week, and it's about on par with most of the shooters we've received the last few years. It sucks badly if you compare it to DN3D though.
I agree - there are some calling it the 'worst game ever', which it clearly isn't. But it isn't so great, either … my review is here.

My biggest problem is that it doesn't know what it is trying to do or what sort of game it is trying to be so ends up feeling like a flailing mess.

As an old school shooter it fails as you say. As a new shooter it fails to deliver either depth of gameplay or the 'cinematic experience'. The new style weapons limits are braindead. Multiplayer is a joke. If you thought the driving sequences in Half-Life 2 were over-long, they are nothing compared to these - along with the stupid 'out of gas' stuff.

Again, not that bad, but I would put it below Postal 2 as an 'inappropriate humor fun' game, and below the level of Chrome as a shooter, with ~2004 graphics.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 30th, 2011, 01:50
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
If you thought the driving sequences in Half-Life 2 were over-long, they are nothing compared to these - along with the stupid 'out of gas' stuff..
I'd have to say the driving sequences were probably the worst part of the game. Definitely a mistake by the devs to have made them as long as they were.

Again, not that bad, but I would put it below Postal 2 as an 'inappropriate humor fun' game, and below the level of Chrome as a shooter, with ~2004 graphics.
I don't think it was anywhere close to being as bad as Chrome. (I honestly don't remember Chrome very well, but I know I didn't enjoy it. I did enjoy parts of DNF though) It actually reminded me a lot of Doom 3, although I enjoyed Doom 3 more.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 30th, 2011, 01:58
I am back to playing online poker for a bit…not sure what game game i will start…thought about playing Oblivin as i didn't give it much of a chance the frist time…

CelticFrost

Sentinel

June 30th, 2011, 02:31
I don't think it was anywhere close to being as bad as Chrome. (I honestly don't remember Chrome very well, but I know I didn't enjoy it. I did enjoy parts of DNF though) It actually reminded me a lot of Doom 3, although I enjoyed Doom 3 more.
I found Chrome a reasonable but stock-standard shooter, about the same as Unreal 2 which I also thought was pretty average.

Bottom line is that while also had some moments of fun, I never found a single second in DNF that wasn't done better by at least 5 - 10 games, most of them at least a decade ago.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 30th, 2011, 03:14
Bottom line is that while also had some moments of fun, I never found a single second in DNF that wasn't done better by at least 5 - 10 games, most of them at least a decade ago.
I can't say I had the same experience, but we'll just chalk it up to different taste.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 30th, 2011, 03:22
I can't say I had the same experience, but we'll just chalk it up to different taste.
I agree … I don't have the venom or passion to warrant debate about this game. But for me playing both Duke 3D and Quake in the week before and during DNF release put it all in perspective. Boy 1996 was a great year for shooters!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 30th, 2011, 10:08
Stopped playing Dungeon Siege 2 - as I got distracted. I'm currently "in the zone" - developing my game - and I'm trying to hold on to that

Come August = DE:HR. I don't really expect to play much until then.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 2nd, 2011, 01:44
I'm still playing Alpha Centauri to pass the time until the next DLC or Fallout comes out in a few weeks. But the big prize ofr me is Skyrim, and i have a good 5 months yet for that one.

Jhari

Watchdog

July 2nd, 2011, 01:46
I'm playing Hellgate London and Age of Conan since they both went free2play today.

Also, heroes of newerth and dungeon crawl stone soup and a bit of kings bounty armor princess.

SirJames

Sentinel

July 2nd, 2011, 05:21
Jhari, I just finished my first play through of SMAC. That was a ton of fun, although the UI could use some improvement! Deirdre transcended. I was hoping to play a pacifist diplomatic game, but she was plopped right in middle of a continent, surrounded by 3 other factions, with no room to grow without pissing off the neighbors. The treehugger ended up being aggressive.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 2nd, 2011, 06:19
I was playing New Vegas but frankly I'm getting a bit annoyed by all the invisible walls and artificial landscape elements that hinder free exploration. The game is rather linear compared to FO3…

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

July 2nd, 2011, 09:58
I've started Risen. Nice Gothic feel! Too bad I can't adjust the mouse sensitivity, though.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 2nd, 2011, 10:03
I played about 10 levels of Duke Nukem Forever but got bored. I started at hard difficulty but frankly the game isn't that interesting to be worth the effort so now I play it on the easiest difficulty just to get through the game. It's not the "worst game ever", but it's not up to par with the better First-Person games such as the recent Call of Duty games and Portal.

So I moved back to Fallout New Vegas which I play at 110% now. I cannot agree with ToddMcF2002 at all and wonder what he is playing… I have played more than 50 hours and haven't even set my foot inside Vegas yet… All I do is explore and explore and explore. Even when I do the most basic tasks like "go there, grab that", I encounter so much on the way that I end up spending hours extra on spot just to explore everything around the location I was supposed to go to. I can't remember when I last played a RPG this packed with content, it's up to par with Gothic 3 in that regard.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

July 2nd, 2011, 10:38
Beyond my better judgement and dislike of SOE in general, I started playing EQII Extended, and I'm quite enjoying it. {Its free so ya know…} There is a great deal more to quests and talking with NPCs than most MMOs have and quite a few class customizations that I'm enjoying a lot!

Only playing on the Bronze lvl for now, and while Silver may be tempting later on when I may need to purchase items from the broker or carry more gold & items, for now I'm content. That and Silver also lets you talk in the various chat channels, but meh…its been mostly solo thus far so not a big deal!

Khalus

Whatever…

July 2nd, 2011, 19:59
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Jhari, I just finished my first play through of SMAC. That was a ton of fun, although the UI could use some improvement! Deirdre transcended. I was hoping to play a pacifist diplomatic game, but she was plopped right in middle of a continent, surrounded by 3 other factions, with no room to grow without pissing off the neighbors. The treehugger ended up being aggressive.
You are right…If you want to play a nonmilitary game, (And you can very well win without the military option) then you really need to be on a sort of fortress island that can be easily defended.

Jhari

Watchdog

July 2nd, 2011, 20:01
Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
Beyond my better judgement and dislike of SOE in general, I started playing EQII Extended, and I'm quite enjoying it. {Its free so ya know…} There is a great deal more to quests and talking with NPCs than most MMOs have and quite a few class customizations that I'm enjoying a lot!

Only playing on the Bronze lvl for now, and while Silver may be tempting later on when I may need to purchase items from the broker or carry more gold & items, for now I'm content. That and Silver also lets you talk in the various chat channels, but meh…its been mostly solo thus far so not a big deal!
I used to really like EQ II. I don't play much MMO anymore, but that was one of my favorites. Huge amounts of content, decent character types and a nice range of difficulty.

Jhari

Watchdog

July 6th, 2011, 13:04
Finally installed and giving a proper go at BG1… hope I have patience to finish it properly this time

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

July 6th, 2011, 13:34
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Finally installed and giving a proper go at BG1… hope I have patience to finish it properly this time
I have been loving my retro-trip through 1996 shooters and now it is time for RPG's … which is ironic since I have 2 new high-end laptops!

So … any suggestions for 1996 RPG games for me to tackle?

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 8th, 2011, 00:05
So … any suggestions for 1996 RPG games for me to tackle?
Yes. The best RPG of 1996 without a doubt (*cough*) was 'The Dark Eye: Shadows over Riva' a.k.a 'Realms of Arkania 3'.

Moriendor

Spielkind

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?