|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Risen 3 » Risen » Risen: A Guide

Default Risen: A Guide

April 2nd, 2010, 04:38
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Good point. You are right, we can't host it of other people's work has been used extensively.
I've already got two tards at World of Risen trolling me about that, so just let me say that I don't expect any hosting or anything from anyone. I just wanted to make this available to the people playing the game. I wrote this for myself initially and other people on Something Awful heard about it and wanted it so I polished it and published it for them. The guide is all about assembling and making sense of the scattered and confusing information already out there on Risen — this makes it a better product than anything that's out there, but it's not an original product (nor, to some extent, are any of the guides out there).

In any case, I'm glad some people are enjoying it and hope they get a lot of use out of it.

Edit: Slightly new version of the guide up. I've adjusted my opinions of some skills somewhat after cross-testing. Biggest change is my opinion on the magic crystals.

Edit: Another update, last one for a while. I've added a map with teleport rune locations and tables on bows and crossbows, plus I've done a little cleaning up.
Last edited by risenguide; April 11th, 2010 at 05:08.

risenguide

Traveler

April 17th, 2010, 09:32
Original or not, I thank ye for all the effort you've put into this.

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
RPGWatch Donor

April 17th, 2010, 15:29
Yup, same here. I'm playing through the game, and I'm consulting your guide for little pointers. It's very helpful.

Anderson

Consolized

August 9th, 2010, 03:55
Wow, thanks for making an organized guide.

Eisberg

Watchdog

August 18th, 2010, 17:07
For those of you enjoying the guide, thank you for the thank yous.

=====

Risen is finally available on Steam again — they've got it set at 40 bucks though, which is about what it cost when it was a new release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

risenguide

Traveler

August 24th, 2010, 12:23
I've finished this game once and since the ending was so disappointing, I won't stomach another playthrough…
Thanks to this guide, I'll see what other paths I could take

Comedy = Tragedy + Time

idiocracy

Traveler

August 25th, 2010, 17:41
Downloaded it, not checked it yet, but thx anyways for the effort you put in to it

This is my way of the Ninja: I never take back my word

titus

Substitute Shinigami

Send a message via MSN to titus

August 25th, 2010, 19:46
@risenguide.

Considering the the well presented work that *you* did with R1 - do you have any similar plans with R2…?
…would you approach it differently second time around? - eg: not using the work of others or perhaps with consentual agreement/permissions of integrated input from others? - etc'

…just interested (now is the time to plan ahead.)

Wulf

Inquisitor

August 28th, 2010, 06:01
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
@risenguide.

Considering the the well presented work that *you* did with R1 - do you have any similar plans with R2…?
…would you approach it differently second time around? - eg: not using the work of others or perhaps with consentual agreement/permissions of integrated input from others? - etc'

…just interested (now is the time to plan ahead.)
I sometimes make little guides for the games I play mostly as references for myself. However, these little guides almost never have walkthroughs, and instead are basically rough drafts of the kind of stuff present in the appendix section of the Risen guide. For example, when I was playing Morrowind I made a list of the most easily accessible sources for spells and for important alchemy ingredients using Balmora as a location, but I never actually wrote anything about "First you go here, open the third door in the hallway…"

Also I'll have to get a new computer before I'll be able to play Risen 2. My old beater can barely handle Risen on pretty minimal settings.

The short answer is "probably not."

risenguide

Traveler

September 5th, 2010, 10:48
I'd just like to add my thanks to your effort to making this guide, it really helped with my first play through, especially in Harbor town. I imagine writing a full walkthrough from scratch would be tough, but most players don't need a full walkthrough. I thought the most valuable part of your guide was the organized info and the tips. Maybe if you get around to playing R2 you could just make a handy reference and errors to avoid guide for us .

I've been making a list of my own tips and useful info, notably about the most of effective use of Learning Points, stat potions and stat herbs (min/maxing so sue me). Maybe you could add that to the appendix of a future version. I've also been making a note of unpatched bugs, some of which aren't immediately apparent but can be really annoying. You listed some like the archery bug, but there is also the fact that lvl 10 for all melee weapons skills do nothing so there is not point in training them(max attacks in a combo is 5 and thats if you start with a lateral blow). The the crystal skills also suffer from the archery bug in regards to their casting speed, IE no increase in speed until lvl 10 where speed doubles.
That doesn't effect point placement choice as much because damage obviously increases, it does make having lvl 10 more valuable though.

I'm sure about these I tested them quite a bit, but you should take a look at it. Just use the console to adjust stats and compare lvl 1 to 9 and than lvl 9 to 10.

anyway thanks again, let me know if you want my info for your guide.
Last edited by 7Delta7; September 5th, 2010 at 11:11. Reason: edit for grammar and added content

7Delta7

Traveler

September 5th, 2010, 19:06
How can someone use a walkthrough in an RPG. Don't you loose the entire game if you just read about everything before?

bloodlover

Sentinel

September 5th, 2010, 23:10
It depends on the walkthrough some well written ones can serve as a guide without spoiling too much. I use walkthroughs from time to time, usually as a reference after that fact to make sure I haven't missed anything in an area or if I get stuck on something. I imagine thats how they are used by most people. I also really like this guide for its appendix it collects all the information about weapons and items plants and such so I can make decisions on character builds and so on. Thats probably the most valuable part of the guide to me. Oh and Harbor town is a confusing network of quests and people ( and if you do some you can't do others) and he really straightens things out. So yes walkthroughs have spoilers but I doubt most people use them by reading the whole chapter and than playing that chapter.

7Delta7

Traveler

September 10th, 2010, 18:32
Anyone managed to make the quest with the eastern temple ? I am there with the 3 brothers but when I talk to one of them he says I need to take them to the entrance … but they are at the entrance just that it;s blocked.

bloodlover

Sentinel

September 11th, 2010, 11:25
The 3 brothers quest is listed in the walkthrough - the guide is very handy for referrence.
Last edited by Wulf; September 11th, 2010 at 15:23.

Wulf

Inquisitor

September 13th, 2010, 16:50
thanks for the guide man, it's very nicely written.

toltec7

Watchdog

October 30th, 2010, 03:01
Risen has had its first price drop on Steam recently — you can get it for 30 bucks now!

risenguide

Traveler

November 12th, 2010, 08:57
RISEN is on sale at Steam this weekend, only $14.95 until Monday!

HellRazor

Watcher

November 14th, 2010, 16:39
Wanted to thank you a ton for this guide. Very detailed and obvious you put a lot of time and effort into making it. Again, thank you very much!

Jaimas

Traveler

December 3rd, 2010, 22:36
A thank you from me for the guide.

kinnsy

SasqWatch

July 9th, 2011, 23:32
cool will check this out
thanks man

mwe12

Watcher

Tags