|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Beyond Divinity

Default Beyond Divinity

July 11th, 2011, 07:41
You are a servant of the Divine - scourge of necromancers and sorcerers alike. Your purpose in life is to fight all that is evil using any means possible. Your dilemma… during an intense battle with one of the great necromancers, a demon drags you into its universe. There you are soul-forged with a Death-knight. You are cursed and destined to spend the rest of eternity bonded to this creature of evil.
Or maybe not…
The Death-knight dislikes the soul forging as much as you do and together you embark on a great adventure. You both have a common goal - to undo the soul forging. You and your unlikely companion quickly figure out that the only way to rid this curse is if you unlock the secret of riftrunning – an ancient art that allowed the prison universe’s indigenous population to travel between universes.
Your quest is set: To become a Riftrunner!
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 11th, 2011, 07:41
Cripes. The scenario sure hits "close to home." This is the very first time I've ever played RPGs. I hope the old timers here are patient with me till I get my "rhythm."

dragonstarr1

SasqWatch

July 11th, 2011, 08:22
I loved Beyond Divinity so if you got any questions just fire away. Also Myrthos and a few others made a great strategy guide for the game. You can get it here.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

July 11th, 2011, 14:40
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I loved Beyond Divinity so if you got any questions just fire away. Also Myrthos and a few others made a great strategy guide for the game. You can get it here.
First time I've ever seen the words "loved" and "Beyond Divinity" in the same sentence.

Did you like it as much as Divine Divinity? Most people seem to think BD wasn't nearly as good as DD. I've only played the demo, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another chance.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 11th, 2011, 15:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
First time I've ever seen the words "loved" and "Beyond Divinity" in the same sentence.

Did you like it as much as Divine Divinity? Most people seem to think BD wasn't nearly as good as DD. I've only played the demo, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another chance.
My sentiments exactly! I liked DD so I actually bought BD but never got pass the starting bit.

Does BD improves later on?

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

July 11th, 2011, 22:44
The biggest difference is that the world is not as open. It's a series of smaller disconnected areas. Also the controls were a bit wonky. Something else bugged me, but I can't remember. Yet, I did like it, played it to completion with zeal, though not as much as DD.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 11th, 2011, 23:06
I never got why people didn't like it. Sure it's not as open as DD was, but it wasn't half bad either. I loved the character customization, which from what I understand was another gripe that people had against it.

Now did I like it as much as DD?…….yes and no. As Thrasher mentioned the world is not as open, which is ok with me. On the other hand the character skills were a lot better. Some will disagree with me, a lot probably, but I loved how I could mix and match the different skills/spells.

My only real gripe is that the death knight made a better magic user than a tank. You couldn't give him any armor and his armor levels didn't keep up with the monsters.

I'm sure there are more positive and negative things to be said, but it's been quite awhile since I played and can't remember everything that I liked about it. I do remember that it was a lot of fun and if you like DD you will probably like BD as well. Probably being the keyword in that sentence

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

July 12th, 2011, 21:32
It was far too harsh, too demonic and too bloody for my taste.
But as a fan, I played it through.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 12th, 2011, 23:57
I still haven't played through this game, even though I've had it since release. Divine Divinity is one of my favorite games but what really put me off when I started playing BD was the horrible voice acting.

I'll probably take it up again soon as it has been on my mind for a while. I don't expect it to be as good as DD but at least I hope it could be a good game.

(anyone else miss imp runner?)

Lachrimae

Mistress of the night

July 13th, 2011, 00:25
Yes, I do miss the Imp Runner.

I have it somewhere, still, burned on my disc, ans as Macromedia Director files (downloadable from somewhere as a package), too.

Regarding BD - the first voice of the Death Knight was sounding very cynically, and the "community" demanded it'd be replaced by a more "demonic" or more "aggressive" voice.

When Larian did so (they exchanged the voice recording completely !) the "community" soon said it was going on their nerves now, because the Death Knight was sounding aggressive *all of the time*.

Lesson learned for Larian : No matter what you do, some will nag about it.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 14th, 2011, 06:04
I haven't played this game yet but it's one (of many) on my to do list someday.

Where does this fit in the Divinity Saga? Is it a sidequel?

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

July 14th, 2011, 20:25
Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
Is it a sidequel?
Very good word !

Yes, I'd call it so.

It tells a story that isn't unimportant - but not a "must-read" or so either.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 22nd, 2011, 22:02
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I did not play Beyond Divinity, but I remember Divine Divinity demo… and that it was not something I really enjoyed at that time. I bought the game years later and loved it though.

Balbus

Old thing

November 17th, 2011, 17:51
Yeah there is no doubt that this game is one of my favorite games and i am playing this game since first version of this game had revealed and continually i am trying new versions as it comes and i feel joy to play this game.

Gino

Traveler

September 13th, 2012, 19:21
Amen my bro! This was the epicest game ever omg!!!

jncordero

Traveler

December 9th, 2012, 03:55
Is this any good? I loved DD but tried the BD demo year ago and I didn't give it much of a chance. Really disliked it. If I recall all the dungeons are "generated"…. is there variety in the game?

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2012, 04:28
Most of the areas are not generated. It has battleground areas that are but aren't necessary to play IIRC. It's fun, you get to control 2 characters, but the areas are less open. I'd give it a try again.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 9th, 2012, 05:09
On my list then. Loooooooong list indeed!

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2012, 12:10
My list is longer and has more girth.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2012, 16:40
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Most of the areas are not generated. It has battleground areas that are but aren't necessary to play IIRC. It's fun, you get to control 2 characters, but the areas are less open. I'd give it a try again.
I'll have to give it a try, after all GreenManGaming gave it free to everyone back in summer.
I have it downloaded but remembered that I didn't like the demo way back then, maybe it's time to fire it up.

Warmark

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Beyond Divinity