|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The "I Just Bought" thread

Default The "I Just Bought" thread

August 4th, 2011, 18:39
Thanks for your explanations.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 5th, 2011, 20:45
I just bought my wife a laptop. She's mostly a facebook/Sims/email user, along with Office apps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16834215120

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N970 2.2GHz
Screen 17.3"
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6470M
Video Memory 512MB DDR3 VRAM
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Battery Life Up to 2.7 hours

I'm not a laptop junkie, but this seemed a fairly nice pc for $500. The video is discrete and 512MB should be enough for the types of games she plays.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

August 5th, 2011, 22:46
I just bought Morrowind and Oblivion on Steam. Yes, I already own both but at $14.99 for both and the convenience of having them on Steam it was worth it. I just wish they had a community mod pack that you could install in one simple package that worked and be done with it. Unmodded TES games are yuck for me but modding them is a pain in the ass.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 6th, 2011, 03:18
Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
I just wish they had a community mod pack that you could install in one simple package that worked and be done with it. Unmodded TES games are yuck for me but modding them is a pain in the ass.
Do you know about Morrowind Overhaul?

http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/i…opic,12.0.html

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 6th, 2011, 15:10
Just bought White Knight Chronicles. I had it in my eyes for a while. Here in Greece it still costs €70, but I found it in thehut.com for roughly €27.35. You can imagine how frustrated I am to see that a game I wanted to buy is still expensive in Greece, yet it's so cheap outside of Greece.

Tanno

Sentinel

August 6th, 2011, 16:18
Originally Posted by Tanno View Post
Just bought White Knight Chronicles. I had it in my eyes for a while. Here in Greece it still costs €70, but I found it in thehut.com for roughly €27.35. You can imagine how frustrated I am to see that a game I wanted to buy is still expensive in Greece, yet it's so cheap outside of Greece.
Cant you buy games from play.com or amazon.co.uk? Much cheaper there. I guess thehut is similar place.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

August 7th, 2011, 02:18
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Cant you buy games from play.com or amazon.co.uk? Much cheaper there. I guess thehut is similar place.
I do, but lately they have their own global restrictions. thehut.com that time has, and now have, its discount runt and I took a chance to buy it from there. I also bought Infamous 2 for my mate's B-Day last month.

What do I mean global restrictions? I mean that I tried to buy cheaper a Hungarian House CD named "House U", but it didn't allow me to buy it, because it's restricted to some countries…

Same goes for play.com, which doesn't allow me to buy from £30 and above…

Some stupid marketing idiocy, to be precise. -_-

If I want, I can buy even NTSC, which are better than the shitty PAL. I bought MK9 from Canada.

Tanno

Sentinel

August 7th, 2011, 04:06
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Do you know about Morrowind Overhaul?

http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/i…opic,12.0.html
I will definitely have to give that a try. If it truly is a one install solution to update the game without doing a lot of leveled load merging and load order sorting and so forth that will be awesome. Thanks!

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 7th, 2011, 04:12
@Motoki, do your prayer to find a patch to fix the bugs even in Oblivion. Unfortunately, Bethesda is known of its buggy games like those two.

Tanno

Sentinel

August 10th, 2011, 15:15
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I love large and complex boardgames. The boardgame with the most components must be Arkham Horror with all it's expansions. The latest expansion "Miskatonic Horror" is an expansion-expansion, adding cards to each of the expansions, a much welcome addition.

Thanks, I'm going to try and get Arkham Horror as my birthday present in November. I only hope my spouse and friends will like it. If not, I read it's a great single player game too. Either way, it sounds fantastic.

Since we are basically all board game beginners, I'm trying to initiate them with the trading/building/crafting card game San Juan first.

Oh, and I'd love to go ahead and play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) … but I fear the requirements are way too high: finding likeminded people who are interested in learning and then playing a big, complex sci-fi board game that can last at least a couple hours. Guess I'll have to keep playing 4x space games on the PC…

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; August 10th, 2011 at 15:27.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

August 10th, 2011, 16:13
Guys, can you suggest me some American sites to buy NTSC games? I'm desperatelly looking for Mana Khemia 2 to buy and play it.

Tanno

Sentinel

August 10th, 2011, 16:44
I just bought a new phone:

Daddy like…

Motorola Photon

Captain Buzzkill

Sentinel

August 10th, 2011, 17:13
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Thanks, I'm going to try and get Arkham Horror as my birthday present in November. I only hope my spouse and friends will like it. If not, I read it's a great single player game too. Either way, it sounds fantastic.
It is a complex game that needs some preparation/dedication to play. But the co-operative gameplay have been appreciated among the non-boardgamers we played with.

Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Since we are basically all board game beginners, I'm trying to initiate them with the trading/building/crafting card game San Juan first.

Oh, and I'd love to go ahead and play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) … but I fear the requirements are way too high: finding likeminded people who are interested in learning and then playing a big, complex sci-fi board game that can last at least a couple hours. Guess I'll have to keep playing 4x space games on the PC…
I haven't played San Juan, but I did play Twilight Imperium. It is a heavy game indeed, but I found it fairly well balanced. Each race have their own advantage and playstyle. But there is an action that just give victorypoints that make the game a bit boring. Many have houseruled that card.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

August 10th, 2011, 18:18
New glasses. Not because i necessarily needed to becausee of my vision. But I fell asleep in my bed wearing the old ones, and they weren't exactly the same afterwards. I tried to get them to behave by applying gentle but firm force here and there, but with limited success.

Got the new ones today, and for the first time I'm now the proud owner of progressive lenses (yepp, I'm that old)

The immediate effects are:

1. My wife has got more wrinkles. For some reason she resented me mentioning that matter-of-factly. So I guess I'll have to bring it up again later.

2. Things have become smaller. Seems like I don't get what I payed for when I buy coffee, books and so on.

3. Things change shape a lot, whenever I turn my head. The floors look like something designed by Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I like his style.

4. Things are out of focus for approximately 0.1737 seconds before I manage to point my head in the correct direction.

Hopefully I'll get used to them. But just in case, they come with a 6 months getting-used-to-progressive-glasses warranty. If I don't lik'em the optician will provide non-progressives in stead.

pibbur

August 10th, 2011, 18:35
I vague remember having similar effects when I got my first glasses.

I'll need new ones as well, by the way. Only the glass, however, not the frame.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 10th, 2011, 18:38
pibbur, your "effects" made me laugh.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

August 10th, 2011, 22:46
Welcome to the club, pibbur! I got my first progressives this year, too. My first set had zero correction for peripheral vision, so I returned them for a set of lenses made by a different manufacturer (Kodak). The correction band is much wider, so now I have some corrected peripheral vision. Makes driving much better. Also, I think the wider correction got rid of effect #3 that my first pair had in spades.

You may want to consult with your optometrist…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 11th, 2011, 02:10
Are they also transition lenses which darken to sunglasses in bright light and return to clear glass when you go indoors? Oh wait, you don't get any sun much in Norway do you!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

August 11th, 2011, 11:48
Sun?

But no, I didn't buy transition lenses. I'm not that much troubled by sunlight (I don't have regular sunglasses either). And I also felt I would look really cool using darkened lenses. *shivers*

pibbur

August 18th, 2011, 00:20
I got Dungeon Siege 2 Deluxe on Ebay for about $25. Surprisingly expensive. DTE, I am trusting you on this.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The "I Just Bought" thread