|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Commander - Larian Announces New Game

Default Dragon Commander - Larian Announces New Game

August 11th, 2011, 19:24
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
This company consistently makes silly names for their games. Divine Divinity? Laugh out loud stupid.
Iirc, this name was forced on them by the publisher.
Originally they intended to name it Divinity: Sword of Lies or something like that.

DeepO

deep outside

August 11th, 2011, 19:39
Information is still scarse, but the concept sounds intriguing, especially if they weave in a suspenseful storyline.

Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
Originally they intended to name it Divinity: Sword of Lies or something like that.
It was probably going to be "Project D: Divine Divinity: Dragon Dominions" initially

coyote

Sentinel

August 11th, 2011, 19:42
That would have been confusing. I would always wonder if I could play DSL over a DSL connection

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

August 11th, 2011, 20:07
This doesn't really look like my kind of game. Hope their other project will be a real divinity game.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

August 11th, 2011, 21:09
Yes, that's the story, as far as I know it.
Someone at CDV, their DD publisher, thought that rhyming names would be a good thing.

Divine Divinity
Sudden Strike (can be abbreviated to SS, a Nazi term)
Project Nomads - After The Disaster (the first Radon Labs game, as far as I know

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 11th, 2011, 21:10
Color me intrigued. RT exploration with TB combat sounds like Kings' Bounty: The Legend in the air rather than on the ground.

They better make a US PC release and have a printed manual, otherwise, I'll go postal on the Larian forums.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 11th, 2011, 21:16
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
RT exploration with TB combat
I believe it is rather the other way round.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 11th, 2011, 21:17
I would be embarrassed to have anyone know I was playing a game called "Dragon Commander"

Really, what a dumb name. Maybe they'll make a war game called "Army Man Battle!"

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

August 11th, 2011, 21:24
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I believe it is rather the other way round.
Damn. Color me mehhhh.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 11th, 2011, 22:02
They lost me with the RT combat.

quasimodo

Watcher

August 11th, 2011, 22:27
I thought it said "Dagon commander!" and I was shouting YES! A Cthulhu game again, at long last. Not that anyone could command Dagon and live… I'm pretty much all 'dragoned out'. They a dime a dozen these days.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

August 11th, 2011, 22:38
Meh… From the way it's being described so far, I won't have much interest in this title.

Still, I hope it sells well for Larian.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 11th, 2011, 23:01
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
I would be embarrassed to have anyone know I was playing a game called "Dragon Commander"

Really, what a dumb name. Maybe they'll make a war game called "Army Man Battle!"
Why does it sound dumb? Honest question. I'm no native speaker myself of course, but Dragon Commander sounds like a good name to me.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 11th, 2011, 23:17
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Why does it sound dumb? Honest question. I'm no native speaker myself of course, but Dragon Commander sounds like a good name to me.
It sounds more like a description than a title. Like if you were to call a game 'Platform Jumper' or 'Guy Running and Shooting' or something.

Still, I usually give the developers across the pond a pass on silly or dull names because they are European and ESL.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 12th, 2011, 00:50
And "A Vampyre Story" sounds much, much better, hm ?

Or "Command & Conquer" ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 12th, 2011, 02:12
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Sounds fine to me. The game itself is sounding more like Stardock's Elementalist than anything else.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

August 12th, 2011, 02:13
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Or "Command & Conquer" ?
People might have raised their eyebrows at the title when Command and Conquer was announced, but if a game delivers and becomes a success, the sillyness of the name is quickly forgotten.

Also: Dungeon Keeper.

The choice of the name Dragon Commander is a bit of a double whammy because it also contains a fantasy trope.

With regards to use of fantasy tropes Dungeons and Dragons is also quite silly as a name.

I'm dissapointed not because of the name but because I found the dragon combat gameplay the least interesting. That's why I was very glad for a large part of the expansion pack of the last game and very dissapointed towards the end of it. At least in Total War one can skip real-time battles, I'm hoping for a similar option here.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

August 12th, 2011, 02:23
The Dragon parts of DKS were very weak but people bought the game anyway because the rest of it was so fun. I think that Larian believes that the Dragon combat was a big part of the success of the game. It might have been so for 10% of the ownership, but I'd be surprised if more than that enjoyed it above and beyond the other aspects of the game. I really think that this is going to fail dismally, but if it doesn't I'll be very happy for myself and Larian because it means that I have a better likelihood of seeing more crpgs from them.

I don't see the name as being a problem though. Many games have descriptive names and do well. Wing Commander, Command and Conquer, Conquest of the New World, Battleship, etc. Is it the strongest part of the game? Probably

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

August 12th, 2011, 13:36
To me the name seemed kinda natural, after Dragon Knight (saga). And whats wrong with descriptive? Also there is Supreme Commander, Dragon Age, etc.
And then of course names that I find far sillier, e.g. Gothic and Risen - as much as I like the games themselves, I think both make absolutley zero sense, yet I have seen little comment on it. But I guess these things are sometimes pretty subtle.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 12th, 2011, 16:25
"Dragon Commander" sounds really retro..

Not a big dragon fan though, kind of overrated / uninteresting fantasy creatures imo.

vurt

Serial Modderer

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Commander - Larian Announces New Game