|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Trailer and Release Date of version 2.0

Default The Witcher 2 - Trailer and Release Date of version 2.0

August 17th, 2011, 23:02
In the GamesCom video that has been released for The Witcher 2 a lot of news is given, such as:
  • It will have a new tutorial system
  • New difficulty setting: Dark mode, which comes with a new range of 'Dark' items
  • A new game mode: Arena game mode
  • Contains all the previous updates
  • Contains all the DLC packs
  • Free for those already owning the game
  • Available on September the 29th
Check out the GameTrailers video below with all this information.

According to VG247, the Xbox version will be available at the same date.
Thanks BlackCanopus and Melvil.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 17th, 2011, 23:02
Just might have to play through it again…the Arena sounds great, especially the endless waves that you will eventually die from regardless! There are so many RPGs of the past that have arenas, but were so cheaply made, with only 5-12 rounds and then its over, nothing left to ever do with it.

This sounds exciting!

Khalus

Whatever…

August 17th, 2011, 23:20
Yeah I cannot wait for my third playthrough with Dark Mode. Also curious about arena and new tutorial, maybe it will include some nice quest too.

Plus there will be more enhancements that were not revealed yet.

Still, I want expansion pack the most! Hopefully they are working on that too.

Paul

SasqWatch

August 17th, 2011, 23:21
Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
the Arena sounds great, especially the endless waves that you will eventually die from regardless!
Why don't you just abbreviate it to "Dying is fun !"

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 18th, 2011, 01:02
Still no fast travel?

Damian Mahadevan

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2011, 02:14
Dark Mode? Heck, I'm getting my butt kicked half the time on Normal Mode. They gotta be crazy!

Anyone else playing with an Xbox 360 controller? I get really frustrated with the left thumbstick 'push' function. Pushing it in causes Geralt to activate his medallion. Problem is when I tense up trying to control him during fights, I often accidentally activate that feature, and end up getting killed because Geralt suddenly stops fighting to turn his medallion on. ARGGGH!

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

August 18th, 2011, 02:23
The Witcher 2 occupies a special place among games for me. It is the first game that pissed me off that much while still entertained me enough to finish it. That my copy of the game survived my playing it despite my occasional thought that putting the DVD in my microwave would be healthier and more satisfying than putting it in my computer - this gives you an idea of how good I thought the good parts were.

The release of a rather significant and free pack of improvement to the game both impresses and irritates me further. Their commitment to improving what they do as well as evolving it impresses me enough to think I'll probably be buying whatever sequel there is when it comes out. That they are already have me thinking that I will probably buy the eventual sequel irritates me because I SHOULD be worrying about my blood pressure.

jhwisner

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2011, 03:05
Wheres the mod kit?

I am free because I choose to be so-me

Kefka

Watcher

August 18th, 2011, 04:11
I played it once through 95% of the time on hard…the other 5% of the time on easy….Not sure about dark….but gettting the itch to play it again…..Truely one of the best games in the last 15 years..

CelticFrost

Watchdog

August 18th, 2011, 05:55
I guess I need to try playing it again….I didn't get very far into it before qctually finding it boring. To me at least, it wasn't one of the best games in the last 15 years.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2011, 07:00
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
I guess I need to try playing it again….I didn't get very far into it before qctually finding it boring. To me at least, it wasn't one of the best games in the last 15 years.
Yeah it had some really great aspects about it but the things that bugged me really bugged me. Also while I appreciated the significant and non-patronizing decision to have significantly diverging plot paths for the first 3/4 of this did nescessitate a frustrating railroad switch station feeling to many of those choices. Granted that is probably a trade off required to make the consequences of those choices truly meaningful and the stories that followed feel (for a while at least) almost unprecedentedly divergent. Still, it did have me wondering how Geralt could have survived without the diametrically opposed fanatics helpfully giving him the only options he seems able to seriously consider. It was not as bad in that respect as Dragon Age II was though at least.

A failing I suppose that should not be overly harped on because it is common to many story driven RPGs did seem to bother me quite a bit in the Witcher 2. Perhaps it was because so much of the other aspects of the story and characters succeeded in immersing me but the obliviousness of characters - Geralt in particular - the untrustworthy nature of a character they're talking to could be rather immersion breaking. A couple times I found myself googling to see if I had encountered a bug because they seemed to be no way to confront the clear betrayer, confirm their betrayal, or avoid cheerfully letting them betray you but still advance the plot. Geralt unfortunately seems to have become somewhat thicker since the first game and only ever recognizes such betrayal after it is staring him in the face and shouting "muhahaha." It just seemed so incongruous with how competent the character was most of the time.

The potential for retreading the same area for the umpteenth time and fighting the same re-spawning monsters approached console JRPG levels of silly. At least they didn't come in Dragon Age 2 style suicide waves; those made me wonder why the city guard didn't just patrol the rooftops and take care of 90% of the city's crime problem.

I guess frustration is something you should expect when games take risks in how they do things. At least with the Witcher many of the risks paid of big time. But yeah the ways in which they didn't pay off (like the interface that sometimes reminded me of scenes from the movie Brazil) make me a little cooler in my endorsement of it than some. Still, the sequel could be the best game in 15 years if they fix what The Witcher 2 got wrong and expand on what it got right. Most better overall games don't show that kind of potential.

jhwisner

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2011, 09:25
I need to play it again to see Iorveth's side of the story, so it makes sense to do it on dark mode. Nothing else there really sounds that interesting to me.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

August 18th, 2011, 09:26
Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
Truely one of the best games in the last 15 years..
Not only that but one of the best game support in last 15 years. Scratch that. It is *the* best game support ever. Unbeatable.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2011, 10:20
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Not only that but one of the best game support in last 15 years. Scratch that. It is *the* best game support ever. Unbeatable.
I'll reserve judgment until after we actually get the update. I'm not sure if this beats what CDP did with the first Witcher. To me, that's still the best post-release support I've ever seen for a crpg.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2011, 10:49
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'll reserve judgment until after we actually get the update. I'm not sure if this beats what CDP did with the first Witcher. To me, that's still the best post-release support I've ever seen for a crpg.
I suppose that's the really impressive part… CDP Red only have themselves to compete against in that category. Even if they come up short…they will only fall short when compared to their own efforts, which will still place them well ahead of the curve. I really admire not only their ambition, but also their dedication to their own artistic integrity/vision when it comes to making the best possible game, even if that means "putting in overtime" after the game has been released. I can't name a single company that has that sort of dedication to their projects post-release (and free of charge).

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2011, 14:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'll reserve judgment until after we actually get the update. I'm not sure if this beats what CDP did with the first Witcher.
2.0 is set to be released 4 months after the initial release, whereas the EE came out almost year after, maybe there will be another major edition released close to the XBox one.

The new mode sounds quite interesting since it does seem to affect some aspects unrelated to difficulty and the inclusion of new uber items hints at overall different loot progression and shape of the difficulty curve.

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside

August 18th, 2011, 22:55
I played the witch for the frist time and finished it two weeks before the witcher two came out so I was really in the witcher groove…To me they were great games…

CelticFrost

Watchdog

August 18th, 2011, 23:45
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
2.0 is set to be released 4 months after the initial release, whereas the EE came out almost year after
That's because The Witcher EE had a ton of changes to the core game. This seems like a minor update in comparison.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 19th, 2011, 00:05
The Witcher got a massive update because it needed it… TW2 does not.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

August 19th, 2011, 00:19
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
The Witcher got a massive update because it needed it… TW2 does not.
CDP went above and beyond updating TW1. They did what was needed, and then a lot more. Most devs would have only fixed what they absolutely had to. TW2 could definitely benefit from a few core changes.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Trailer and Release Date of version 2.0