|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Greg Zeschuk Interview @ VG247

Default BioWare - Greg Zeschuk Interview @ VG247

August 24th, 2011, 23:42
Greg Zeschuk spoke with VG247 at Gamescom about BioWare's promotion from a studio to a full label within EA and their approach and work in general. I have to take this sensationalist quote because it's so obvious - but it can be viewed from different angles; on how RPGs are "less relevant":
Do you see Bioware as the RPG studio for EA now, or do you see yourselves as being broader than that?
I think broader. I mean its funny RPGs are and always have been our bread and butter, our heart is there, but at the same time I think well, we had the RPG panel breakfast at GDC yesterday and what was interesting about that was that we had the conversation about what is an RPG and its a blend. The genres are blending right now, youre getting lots and lots of progression and RPG elements in shooters online persistence and so on.
Its funny because the RPG in the context of the current world is well, its not specifically irrelevant, but its becoming less relevant in and of itself. Its more a function of hey, this game has a great story. For us having that emotion but also having other great features like combat and persistence of character progression and stuff.
Its kind of what we are, but more importantly were just about great games.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 24th, 2011, 23:43
Just the words of a person at a company that is trying to justify its selling out.

Bioware says RPGs are becoming less relevant, but I can think of a large company which used to make good RPGs that is becoming less relevant…

Ah, how the mighty do fall.

Shryke

Traveler

August 25th, 2011, 00:14
Did they really need to ask that question? There's no point when the answer is obvious.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 25th, 2011, 06:00
RPGs have been becoming less relevent since 1984 funny how they still make them and they still seem to sell.
What has happen is they are not less relevent, there is just alot more crap out there hmmmmmm didn't BioWare make DA2 …less relevent or just a piece of crap

CelticFrost

Sentinel

August 25th, 2011, 06:44
Forum General RPG
RPGs are becoming "less relevant" according to Bioware

Quote of myself
It is inappropriate to talk the world into even more "rpg crises". A lot of people like the original rpg-format, buy a lot games (many rpg-fans are collectors) and are true fans of the genre.

If Bioware doesn't want to make rpgs - I already skipped DA 2 - others will fill the void.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Greg Zeschuk Interview @ VG247