|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - GameStop Compensates

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - GameStop Compensates

August 27th, 2011, 01:26
GameStop has obviously realised the PR disaster they have created for themelves with DX:HR, so they have responded with a hefty free $50 gift card and buy-2-get-1-free-preowned offer for those affected. Here's their email, courtesy of Ting Taon who sent in this link at Beeping Computer:
Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely,
Paul Raines
CEO, GameStop
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 27th, 2011, 01:26
Good news but there's one thing not in the email… will they now stop pulling the coupon? Or are they going to say that now everyone knows they are pulling them so there's no need to compensate future buyers?

I wonder if this was good or bad for OnLive? The coupon would have been good for getting people to download their system and at least take a look around but this publicity might have been better.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

August 27th, 2011, 01:27
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Good news but there's one thing not in the email… will they now stop pulling the coupon? Or are they going to say that now everyone knows they are pulling them so there's no need to compensate future buyers?

And what compensation is being thrown toward OnLive?
They said a few days ago they had worked something out with Eidos to ship them more copies without the coupon so I assume that still holds.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 27th, 2011, 02:23
I got the email this morning, but my copy hadn't been ransacked yet. I'm still going to get that damn gift card though.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

August 27th, 2011, 04:44
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
I got the email this morning, but my copy hadn't been ransacked yet. I'm still going to get that damn gift card though.
Fight the power!

Santos

Ass-hat

August 27th, 2011, 04:47
LOL! Me too. I just enrolled with OnLive. But I suppose I must go to a brick and mortar store to get the gift card. So, is a free copy of Skyrim at release worth it?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 27th, 2011, 05:24
Ugh, I'm sick over this. This sucks ass. I bought the whole Square/Eidos pack on Steam and pre-order Deus Ex from them and because other people got it from Gamestop instead they get an exclusive mission with some story that I am missing out on and free Skyrim? God damn I am pissed.

I am taking a break from this game I'm so mad. I feel like I need a new hobby or something. So tired of this DLC crap.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 27th, 2011, 06:28
Your enjoyment of the game is that dependent on what other people are doing or getting? It's a great game - stop worrying about nothing and enjoy the game you have in front of you.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 27th, 2011, 09:28
It certainly is. I'm exploring Detroit now, and running into some strange stuff. I hope I am not breaking quests by going into areas before I should.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 27th, 2011, 10:19
Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
Ugh, I'm sick over this. This sucks ass. I bought the whole Square/Eidos pack on Steam and pre-order Deus Ex from them and because other people got it from Gamestop instead they get an exclusive mission with some story that I am missing out on and free Skyrim? God damn I am pissed.

I am taking a break from this game I'm so mad. I feel like I need a new hobby or something. So tired of this DLC crap.
I can understand your anger. But there is one lesson to learn here: Don't buy on STEAM. Go to a shoppe or order a physical copy with special bonus (thin Amazon) online. Be happy.

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

August 27th, 2011, 20:21
I've broken zero quests and I always fully explore first.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

August 28th, 2011, 00:24
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
It certainly is. I'm exploring Detroit now, and running into some strange stuff. I hope I am not breaking quests by going into areas before I should.
You won't break quests by exploring areas. It does not count actions you do in those areas aagainst you if you go explore them/clear them out before you're given a quest there. The worst you'll do is make a quest or two very very easy.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

August 29th, 2011, 06:26
PC Gamer is saying that Gamestop has stopped selling Deus Ex completely now? (See 7th paragraph of this op ed.)

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

August 29th, 2011, 13:20
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
PC Gamer is saying that Gamestop has stopped selling Deus Ex completely now? (See 7th paragraph of this op ed.)
I haven't traveled to a local Gamestop(and why would I to simply visit that slimeball cesspool of a store), but I looked at their online site and I can't find the retail PC version on there. So, in that sense, it seems confirmed.

Given Gamestop's pathetic PC offerings and relegation of PC titles to the [miniscule] wicked step-sister siderack off in the corner, I've bought my retail game copies at Best Buy rather than Gamestop for the past few years out of principle. It's nice to see my choice justified.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

August 29th, 2011, 16:48
That's a rather genrous offer. Not that it concerns me in any way, but I'd be quite happy if I would get this deal for them taking a coupon out that I probably wouldn't have used anyway… So a good, if expensive move of their PR department.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 29th, 2011, 18:30
I'll be trying to cash in my email for the GC today. We'll see if this goes smoothly with the brain surgeons in the store and the receipt I got in the mail order…

UPDATE: The store employees hadn't heard of the refund offer. I asked them if they had received an email from corporate. They looked it up and sure enough after lots of futzing around, gave me $50 GC. They confiscated my printed email though. I wonder if they will actually track it. I am almost tempted to try again at a different store with another copy of the email, just to see if their incompetence extends to refunds.
Last edited by Thrasher; August 30th, 2011 at 06:25.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - GameStop Compensates