|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - News Roundup

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - News Roundup

August 27th, 2011, 00:45
Yay! I luv Gamestop.

Hey has anyone got Smooth Operator on the first mission. It looks like I'm stuck alerting the turret if I want to some hack in the room next door. Not spending my praxis point on turret hacking, since probably better to upgrade hacking to level 2?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 27th, 2011, 00:48
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Yay! I luv Gamestop.

I really feel like I got shafted on this game now.

Hey has anyone got Smooth Operator on the first mission. It looks like I'm stuck alerting the turret if I want to some hack in the room next door. Not spending my praxis point on turret hacking, since probably better to upgrade hacking to level 2?
I suppose these are sort of tactical spoilers so…

Spoiler

Oh and yes I did get the smooth operate bonus still.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 27th, 2011, 02:28
Hmm i avoided the turret entirely through that route, and no smooth operator bonus. But I did get the ghost bonus. Not sure why I missed smooth operator, though. The klaxons were ringing before I even stopped off the elevator.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 27th, 2011, 07:36
It's been a few years since I played Deus Ex, but I have a question about this game:

I know a non-violent and stealth approach can work, but what about in addition to that, a non-augmentation approach? I've heard the game really does throw the augmentations at you…so my idea is to avoid "dehumanising experiences" completely by ignoring them and violence. Is this play style feasible? I'd be interested in hearing someone compare playthroughs with and without augmentations.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

August 27th, 2011, 09:24
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
I know a non-violent and stealth approach can work, but what about in addition to that, a non-augmentation approach? I've heard the game really does throw the augmentations at you…so my idea is to avoid "dehumanising experiences" completely by ignoring them and violence. Is this play style feasible? I'd be interested in hearing someone compare playthroughs with and without augmentations.
I'm still only on the 3rd mission, but I'd have to imagine that trying to go the entire game without augments would be pretty much impossible.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 27th, 2011, 14:38
I finished the Detroit section and moved to Hengsha. The boss fight is as bad as people make it out to be. I actually had an armor piercing pistol and a rocket launcher and they were not enough to take care of it. They should change that in a patch, the fight feel out of place as it is right now. Although, the easiest way to take it down, is the "DX" method:
Spoiler – tip

If you read Icarus Effect, you will feel happy to get a shot at killing the guy, if you didn't read the book, you will probably wonder why the game is throwing a boss fight at you.

After Detroit you go to Hengsha. It is a beautiful place with a lot of exploration possible.

While it might be possible to never use the Praxis points into the augmentations and finish the game, you get a few of them on by defaults. It's forced on you and Detroit LIMB clinic doc's emails are really interesting on the subject. You get a few dialog options to be pissed off about it to certain characters as well.

I really love the dialog system and CASSIE (the persuasion system).

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 27th, 2011, 18:25
As for whether you get more XP by killing enemies than by not killing them I'm not sure. It's a matter of how many enemies you avoided and how much XP (if any) you get for completing objectives without killing or being seen.

Killing an enemy by just blasting them gives 20 xp I believe…while sneaking up and doing a takedown on them give 50 xp. So going a pure stealth and whacking using takedowns on every enemy gives over double the xp than just run & gun. If you're a min/maxer type of player wanting the most xp I'd say that's the way to go (that plus hacking everything). This just happens to be my play style in all stealth games anyway. I always KO every guard in the Thief games as well so I can then go search and loot at my leisure without worrying about being caught.

I wouldn't go out of my way just to maximize xp like that though. There's no need since the game is fun as hell no matter how you choose to play it.

Majnun

SasqWatch

August 29th, 2011, 16:27
It's been a few years since I played Deus Ex, but I have a question about this game:

Impossible. You can go violent without augs but to be non-violent you'll probably need them. Ok, maybe "impossible" is a stretch.. but it would be very, very, very hard.

I get where you're coming from to some degree, however. As I've grown as a gamer I've begun to appreciate overcoming adversity through my own wits, not utilizing "win" buttons or cheats. However, Deus Ex has taken a novel approach to all of this: augs aren't instant wins (not all of them, anyhow). Augs merely give you a touch more information (like positional data or bio-feedback on NPCs via dialog) which can then be used to augment your own skills in overcoming the adversity. I got a really huge smile on my face when, after just purchasing the social engineering aug and wondering if I just nerfed all the challenge and fun out of dialogs, utterly failed to "win" the first protracted dialog I applied it on (accessing the Police Station's morgue).

.. but, why would you want to abandon the few paltry RPG features available in the game? Seems weird to read, on this site especially.

Originally Posted by Majnun View Post
This just happens to be my play style in all stealth games anyway. I always KO every guard in the Thief games as well so I can then go search and loot at my leisure without worrying about being caught.

I wouldn't go out of my way just to maximize xp like that though. There's no need since the game is fun as hell no matter how you choose to play it.
I think I will adopt your philosophy on Thief IV but in Deus Ex I try to merely avoid them all. I like the challenge of knowing "traps" remain in the rooms I missed (however, at times, it can be far easier to get through a room without taking anybody down than to pick them off one at a time without triggering alert statuses).

Anarchosyn

Watcher

August 29th, 2011, 18:45
Very true. I spent a lot of time trying to pick off all enemies with silent takedowns while avoiding detection. It can be VERY tricky. But I like the challenge. As the game progresses I find I have to rely on more noisy diversions (like throwing barrels) to break up tight groups of enemies into individuals that can be taken down and dragged off separately and unseen. Luckily the "alerted/suspicious" status caused by the diversions is not enough to lose the "ghost" bonus. I think you only lose that if the status goes red / "hostile".

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 29th, 2011, 22:07
About the first boss:

Spoiler

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 30th, 2011, 16:24
Originally Posted by Anarchosyn View Post
.. but, why would you want to abandon the few paltry RPG features available in the game? Seems weird to read, on this site especially.
It was more that I'm interested in approaching the game from a particular philosophical viewpoint. By resisting the desire towards augmentation, one could argue that you're resisting the transhumanistic elements and thereby thwarting the personal side of the "human revolution" by retaining those things that are traditionally seen as what it means to be human. In short, it's a humanistic view, one that I hope you can role-play somewhat through dialogue despite the inevitability of some of augs.

Thanks for your responses and to everyone else on my question though. The game sounds fantastic and is definitely on my list of games to check out at some point.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

August 30th, 2011, 19:46
In short, it's a humanistic view, one that I hope you can role-play somewhat through dialogue despite the inevitability of some of augs.
You can definitely roleplay about not having a choice in being augmented. There are many dialogue lines that can show your attitude towards augmentation.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - News Roundup