|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

September 19th, 2011, 18:19
I finished the last Zerg Brood War Mission over the weekend. The last mission (#10) was a real bitch for the queen bitch. It took a whole day to complete. Had to use a non obvious backdoor approach (after failing many times using the front door). I exhausted all the mineral resources on the map before winning. I was very close to running out, before I figured out I had to throw ALL possible units at the Protoss base (leaving most expansions undefended) to have a chance of defeating it. And even so it took 3 waves. Maybe leaving Protoss for last was not such a good idea?

I started Ultima 7 yesterday.. I vacillated over using Exult or DOSBox. Exult is not the original code, but a rewrite. So, even though the original has bugs, and Exult introduces bugs of its own, I decided to go with DOSBox and the original to keep the experience faithful. I'll try to avoid triggering the original's bugs. Hope I don't get trashed.

I've played through the first town, and of course, found the controls a bit tedious (but not bad considering its age). Haven't been super excited, but hope it picks up. The writing is pretty good though.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 19th, 2011, 19:27
Dungeon Master fan made adventures at the mo'

rooroosta

Watchdog

September 19th, 2011, 19:40
Aside from DDO and ever-present tinkering with Plants vs. Zombies, I finally got around to starting Eschalon2, which has been on my shelf for FAR too long. Can't seem to settle in on a character build, though. Keep restarting the game and losing a bit of my enthusiasm. We'll see how that goes.

Picked up Etrian Odyssey 3 for the DS the other day and I've been losing hours of my life. Not really sure why I'm getting taken in so strongly by this since the game mechanics seem pretty screwed up (Prince class is much better for healing than the healing Monk class; even though I'm doing a little level grinding, each of the 2 floors I've worked so far has at least 1 critter that one-hit-kills my toons; too much backtracking to town) but somehow the game keeps me coming back for more.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

September 20th, 2011, 18:25
Still playing Resonance of Fate, but I'm closer to finish it. I'm doing the Trophy hunting as of now.

Tanno

Sentinel

September 21st, 2011, 03:08
Finished Sanitarium the other night, had a ball with it although the last couple of chapters were a little silly. I haven't felt the need to find out what happens at the end of a game for a while, but felt it with this one.

Next up will be either Albion, Blade Runner, or The Longest Journey. I think The Longest Journey will win…

badmofo

Tired but happy

September 25th, 2011, 04:13
Just played a bit of Dead Horde. Twin stick shooter w/ endless zombies, endless ammo, what can go wrong? It's boring. Run backwards and shoot point blank into the glob of enemies within arms reach until theyre dead. Repeat.

And stuff mostly comes at you from off the screen, so it's kinda tough to get the initiative and keep the aforementioned tactic being the majority of the time spent playing the game. Glad I only paid 5.00 for it.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 25th, 2011, 17:53
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also know a guy who thought Dungeon Lords was good.
What?!? I barely remember the game now, but at the time I felt it was the worst game I had ever played… I think I blocked all recollection of it on some kind of subconscious level.

Just wrapped up FONV Lonesome road… And while I liked the environment, overall, the dlc felt rushed and left a lot to be desired(don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll stop there). I'm going to try and locate my old PS:T copy… It's ~10 years since I played it, and 7 years since I've lived in my parents house, hopefully my mom left it untouched. Which is more than I can say for my sports card/memorabilia collection, oh well ebay slaughtered their value anyhow.

MasterKromm

Sentinel

September 25th, 2011, 17:55
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
I'm going to try and locate my old PS:T copy… It's ~10 years since I played it, and 7 years since I've lived in my parents house, hopefully my mom left it untouched. Which is more than I can say for my sports card/memorabilia collection, oh well ebay slaughtered their value anyhow.
You should grab it on Good Old Games - they are having a massive sale this weekend, and getting it that way means never worrying about CD's again!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 25th, 2011, 18:06
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out.

MasterKromm

Sentinel

September 26th, 2011, 10:45
Playing "Diablo - Lord of Terror" campaign for Neverwinter Nights.

With PRC (a zillion extra classes and stuff) - and I'm having a ball with my Fighter/Tempest/Weapon Master.

It's - by far - the best player-made mod that I've tried for NWN. A very faithful version of Diablo with a ton of optional sidequests.

I'm constantly surprised by the excellent balance and the attention to details.

It's easily 30-40 hours of Diablo goodness with the best character development system out there.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 26th, 2011, 15:51
Playing Oblivion.ShiveringIsles, after Bloodlines.Malcavian another piece of madness seems fitting. Never played it before, like it so far.

We are Pibbur!

pibbur0x2a

Speaker to cats

September 26th, 2011, 16:18
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Playing "Diablo - Lord of Terror" campaign for Neverwinter Nights.

With PRC (a zillion extra classes and stuff) - and I'm having a ball with my Fighter/Tempest/Weapon Master.

It's - by far - the best player-made mod that I've tried for NWN. A very faithful version of Diablo with a ton of optional sidequests.

I'm constantly surprised by the excellent balance and the attention to details.

It's easily 30-40 hours of Diablo goodness with the best character development system out there.
Now this has me intrigued, I have played lots of fan mods for NWN but somehow missed this one. Will be giving it a shot real soon, thanks for the heads up DArtagnan.

For now playing Dragonshard I just picked up on GOG for a few dollars and having more fun with it than I thought.

Warmark

Sentinel

September 26th, 2011, 16:48
Originally Posted by Warmark View Post
Now this has me intrigued, I have played lots of fan mods for NWN but somehow missed this one. Will be giving it a shot real soon, thanks for the heads up DArtagnan.
Welcome

Remember to download the extras, including the vital music pack. Makes a big difference

Also, the campaign isn't compatible with latest CEP (community expansion pack) - so you need 1.53 rather than 2.1. They can co-exist, I believe, but if you don't need 2.1 - then just download 1.53 and you'll be safe.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 28th, 2011, 04:37
Played a bit of The First Templar, it's not all that bad for a totally linear game that leads you around by the nose. Hopefully the training wheels will come off soon tho, enough of the big obvious pointing to everything already. Has a decent hack and slash combat (thankfully w/ blocking) and the graphics are pretty nice. The story is serviceable, it does it's job well enough to get you into the next section of the game.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 29th, 2011, 03:43
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Played a bit of The First Templar, it's not all that bad for a totally linear game that leads you around by the nose. Hopefully the training wheels will come off soon tho, enough of the big obvious pointing to everything already. Has a decent hack and slash combat (thankfully w/ blocking) and the graphics are pretty nice. The story is serviceable, it does it's job well enough to get you into the next section of the game.
Yeah I don't know what it is about the game - it's definitely more than the sum of its parts. Any one aspect of it is mediocre at best. I enjoyed the levels quite a bit though. Something about them was cliche and yet unique at the same time.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

September 29th, 2011, 06:46
Spending more time with it, and I have to say that i'm having quite a bit of fun with it and it has some cool scenery and graphics overall that are pleasing to behold. Dont listen to the nitpicky bad reviews, The First Templar is definitely worth a budget purchase!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 29th, 2011, 16:43
Lately I started playing Valkyria Chronicles.

Tanno

Sentinel

September 29th, 2011, 17:18
Playing Trine since it was on sale on steam a few days ago also starting Frayed Knights. Also my backlog of games from GOG finally picked up Icewind Dale I & II Collections due to the recent sale.

shaf

SasqWatch

September 30th, 2011, 16:42
Arcanum, a game that I have played in the past, but it is such an excellent game that it deserves another playthrough.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

September 30th, 2011, 17:49
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Spending more time with it, and I have to say that i'm having quite a bit of fun with it and it has some cool scenery and graphics overall that are pleasing to behold. Dont listen to the nitpicky bad reviews, The First Templar is definitely worth a budget purchase!
I liked what I've played of it so far. The story and setting are a bit different than the usual fare. I don't mind the linearity of it so much it. It is what it is and they do seem to always give you optional side quests and paths to explore. I have game ADD these days but I need to get back to it at some point soon.

Right now I am playing the Game of Thrones RTS. Just started but already not impressed. Besides having some technical issues like the videos not playing but just sitting at a black screen and then game thinking it is the first run every time I start and taking forever, the visuals are also dated for a modern $40 game and the play is sort of eh, nothing special. It really should be priced $20 to start with in my opinion, and luckily I got it with a sale price and coupon code stacked so it was close to that price.

For anyone thinking about it, I'd say wait until it goes much cheaper and some of the technical issues get fixed.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?