|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Anyone here who has managed to finish Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader?

Default Anyone here who has managed to finish Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader?

October 12th, 2011, 23:07
Been interested in the game for a while. But I heard some very different opinions about it which makes me confused. I'm not asking about the quality of the game though, because experience has shown that when I'm interested in a CRPG, no matter of quality, I'll enjoy it. The thing I want to know is that are there anyone who managed to properly finish the game and if yes, is it as hard as some people say it is? I don't mind a good challenge, but unfair and illogical difficulty is something that I can't stand.

Frozen Fireball

Trying to unfreeze

October 12th, 2011, 23:24
Nope. I got bored after the second town. Actually, I got bored before the second town but persevered that far.

The first town is GREAT. The second one is OK. The in-between and after parts are bad.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

October 12th, 2011, 23:33
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
Nope. I got bored after the second town. Actually, I got bored before the second town but persevered that far.

The first town is GREAT. The second one is OK. The in-between and after parts are bad.
Yeah I remember being excited about the game but never finished it myself. It starts off good then goes flat.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 12th, 2011, 23:43
As long as you build a combat focused character, you'll be able to finish it. Since, after the first 2 towns, combat is all there is (from what I remember of it). I did finish it, but I'd probably suggest playing the 2 town areas & then calling it a day.

Karok

Traveler

October 13th, 2011, 02:59
I finished using a fire mage (thanks to JemyM for the excellent advancement guide!) .. and have replayed through the second city several times. It simply never gets as good as the first city ever again …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 13th, 2011, 03:12
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I finished using a fire mage (thanks to JemyM for the excellent advancement guide!) .. and have replayed through the second city several times. It simply never gets as good as the first city ever again
It was probably due to being rushed out and barely finished before interplay supposedly closed down. I remember looking forward to there next project called Torn but it never will be released.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 13th, 2011, 03:20
I beat it a few times, personally I liked it but I can see how some people will see it as repetitive, the dungeons are kind of long and not really that original, that said its character creation system, background history, Combat and skill system is very interesting and gives a lot of variety.

As already said the first city is the best part of the game and offers you some re-play value with four factions to join but the rest of the game is very railroading.

If you like games like Icewind dale I think you'll enjoy Lionheart to, its not a great RPG but its a solid experience.

Firestorm

exp Looter

October 13th, 2011, 03:53
It's a shame about the fate of Lionheart, a game that had the potential to be a great experience. If only they had more time to actually finish the project, but financial troubles are difficult to shake. It's probably a small miracle that the game made it to release in the first place.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

October 13th, 2011, 11:41
I finished it just the once with an ice-mage kind of build, but by the gods it was definitely a test of my patience come the second half. A couple of my friends quit when it degenerated into a hackity slash slash fest, not quite making it to the end.

Barcelona was interestingly designed and I liked meeting interpretations of figures from history - the Shakespeare character for example. I don't think I'd experienced the mana collecting mechanic that the game uses in anything else before that.

But generally it's a shame the game fell apart in the way it did, with the financial difficulties being well documented.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

October 13th, 2011, 12:01
I finished it as well, was a long time ago but I am pretty sure I played as an ice mage as well. It certainly gets worse the more you play. I recommend giving it a miss.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

October 13th, 2011, 12:13
I love the Don Quixote questline

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

October 13th, 2011, 13:58
The Barcelona part is fantastic, I loved it. However, I stopped playing about 2/3 into the game. I just couldn't finish it.

It's one of few games I've started playing without ever finishing it. I should probably go back and do it one day.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 13th, 2011, 16:51
Originally Posted by Frozen Fireball View Post
Been interested in the game for a while. But I heard some very different opinions about it which makes me confused. I'm not asking about the quality of the game though, because experience has shown that when I'm interested in a CRPG, no matter of quality, I'll enjoy it. The thing I want to know is that are there anyone who managed to properly finish the game and if yes, is it as hard as some people say it is? I don't mind a good challenge, but unfair and illogical difficulty is something that I can't stand.
I finished it in cooperative MP. The game suffers from schizophrenia (the first half is a decent RPG and the second half is a crap Diablo clone).

I dont know about the difficulty of the endgame, but I can tell that the way difficulty scales in MP (extra monsters mean more XP means higher levels) make MP easier than SP….

The game was actually pretty entertaining in MP. Lack of roleplaying options is less of a problem when playing coop.

EDIT: I can imagine the last few dungeons being rather frustrating if you lack ranged attacks.

Zaleukos

Bum

October 14th, 2011, 13:00
Originally Posted by Zaleukos View Post
EDIT: I can imagine the last few dungeons being rather frustrating if you lack ranged attacks.
QFT. I had to backtrack and shift my char (which normally follows the melee+healing route) towards ranged attacks, because I could beat the final boss in melee.

As everybody says: First half is falloutesque, the second is diabloesque. The Diablo half isn't as bad as the endgame in Divine Divinity, though.

I loved the Don Quixote questline. One of the best companions ever!

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Anyone here who has managed to finish Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader?