|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout: New Vegas - Best RPG at Golden Joystick Awards

Default Fallout: New Vegas - Best RPG at Golden Joystick Awards

October 23rd, 2011, 00:57
CountChocula writes Fallout: New Vegas has won Best RPG in the Golden Joystick Awards. The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 took out second and third places, apparently.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 23rd, 2011, 00:58
I thought New Vegas was great, so I'm pleased with the news. I haven't played the Witcher 1 or 2 yet, and I'm pretty excited to get them started! I really liked the first Dragon Age, but Dragon Age 2 is a ways down in my backlog.

rossrjensen

Sentinel

October 23rd, 2011, 04:10
Awesome. Definitely deserved to win out over Dragon Age 2 and even The Witcher 2. I love TW2, but I would have to agree that NV is a bit better than TW2.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 23rd, 2011, 05:18
Amazing and well deserved, Gratz Obsidian!

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

October 23rd, 2011, 06:17
I'm kind of curious how many games they considered in the running and what the cut off month was. Even if you go with all RPGs available in the year, that could be a grey area due to some games having staggered dates between regions.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

October 23rd, 2011, 06:51
Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
I'm kind of curious how many games they considered in the running and what the cut off month was. Even if you go with all RPGs available in the year, that could be a grey area due to some games having staggered dates between regions.
I concur. I'm happy for Fallout NV but it was released last year. The runner ups were released this year. Unless there counting the dlc.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 23rd, 2011, 09:08
As I posted in the other thread, I think F:NV was well deserved over the other two, IMO. Glad to see it take first place.

Ragnaris

Watchdog

October 23rd, 2011, 09:48
I would give it to Witcher 2, but NV is amazing RPG too, so I can not be dissapointed. I am just glad Dragon Age 2 did not win..

Paul

Watchdog

October 23rd, 2011, 10:24
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I concur. I'm happy for Fallout NV but it was released last year. The runner ups were released this year. Unless there counting the dlc.
It came out after Golden Joystick 2010. It's as simple as that, honestly.

I'm not a bug, I'm a feature!

WorstUsernameEver

Sentinel

October 23rd, 2011, 10:39
yea.

I guess I was one of the few that liked Witcher 1 better than 2, so there ya go.

Fallout Vegas crashed my machine (not to desktop) just about every play session. But even with the continual nuisances it easily ranks in my top 10 RPGs of all time. Maybe one of these days I'll get into the Fallout Vegas DLCs but I put in over 200 hours in just one play through. OTH, I got a new rig since my first playthrough and I recently reinstalled the game and I tested it out and it ran great and well, I'm happy the game is getting its due.

ramble over.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

October 23rd, 2011, 10:55
Okay, read the article - It was gamers that voted for the awards. Now it makes sense why Fallout New Vegas won.

Another thing I am greatful for is looking up who sang that song "Why don't you do right" and it turned me on to this tremendous video of the song and the singer Peggy Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lnE_L_E8M

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

October 23rd, 2011, 11:20
Originally Posted by WorstUsernameEver View Post
It came out after Golden Joystick 2010. It's as simple as that, honestly.
Who cares it was released last year so it shouldn't be part of the 2011 vote. It's as simple as that honestly but thank you for the answer.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 23rd, 2011, 11:50
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Who cares it was released last year so it shouldn't be part of the 2011 vote. It's as simple as that honestly but thank you for the answer.
So, seeing how most of these awards are being given out well before the end of year, all the games released during holiday season shouln't be competing at all? Don't be silly.

tolknaz

Sentinel

October 23rd, 2011, 13:14
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I would give it to Witcher 2, but NV is amazing RPG too, so I can not be dissapointed. I am just glad Dragon Age 2 did not win..
That's what I've planned to say… You've beat me.

The real questioon here would be how DA2 got nominated in the first place and where is DX:HR since they don't care what year a game was released?

EDIT:
GOTY is Portal 2… I admit I didn't play that one. Any input is it really better than FO:NV and TW2?

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 23rd, 2011, 14:54
I think it's a bit of a shock DA did as well as 3rd place.

Riddam

Watcher

October 23rd, 2011, 15:38
Originally Posted by joxer View Post

The real questioon here would be how DA2 got nominated in the first place and where is DX:HR since they don't care what year a game was released?
It's a reader poll covering releases during the previous 12 months.

Fallout New Vegas, Witcher 2 and DA2 are probably the only RPGs released during this period with a relatively wide release (millions of units sold).

I suppose Deus Ex HR was either released after the date of the poll or perhaps it was not considered enough of an RPG by the nominating committee.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

October 23rd, 2011, 15:56
Originally Posted by joxer View Post

EDIT:
GOTY is Portal 2… I admit I didn't play that one. Any input is it really better than FO:NV and TW2?
That's comparing apples and oranges my friend. Portal 2 is a first person puzzle game with some really well done characters, visuals, and story-telling. You solve a puzzle and you move to the next area and solve another puzzle while being heckled by the antagonist. I prefer New Vegas by a wide margin, but there's little doubt that a lot of good effort went in to Portal 2.

rossrjensen

Sentinel

October 23rd, 2011, 17:09
I don't think it is fair to compare New Vegas and Witcher 2 on the bases of the story and rpg elements alone. New Vegas used the existing engine and the know-how of fallout 3 which allowed them to focus more on the story (which Obsidian already have strength in from previous fallout games). In the case of Witcher 2, they had totally a new engine, new fighting mechanics in addition to the new story (not to mention the Premium package that the game came with) and the continuous support from CDProjekt. So it is not fair to compare the two on the bases of gameplay and story alone. Considering all of these aspects, Witcher 2 wins easily.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

October 23rd, 2011, 17:26
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I don't think it is fair to compare New Vegas and Witcher 2 on the bases of the story and rpg elements alone. New Vegas used the existing engine and the know-how of fallout 3 which allowed them to focus more on the story (which Obsidian already have strength in from previous fallout games). In the case of Witcher 2, they had totally a new engine, new fighting mechanics in addition to the new story (not to mention the Premium package that the game came with) and the continuous support from CDProjekt. So it is not fair to compare the two on the bases of gameplay and story alone. Considering all of these aspects, Witcher 2 wins easily.
It's not a price for the best effort, its a price for the best game. Anyway, both games are worthy winners, imho. Which you prefer is largely down to personal preference, I think.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

October 23rd, 2011, 17:30
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Well for me it comes down to the bottom line. Which was more engrossing and enjoyable overall? To me graphics and engine play a very small role in that. That being said, since I haven't gotten to the Witcher 2 (and still have not completed the first) I cannot say which was better. However, New Vegas was probably my best RPG experience since Fallout 2, and that's saying an awful lot (Dragon Age, Gothic 2, and Arcanum are all close - I know it's a sin, but I have never completed an infinity engine game, they are all back-logged).

rossrjensen

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout: New Vegas - Best RPG at Golden Joystick Awards