|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Frayed Knights - Review @ RPGamer

Default Frayed Knights - Review @ RPGamer

November 1st, 2011, 23:24
Frayed Knights has been reviewed at RPGamer, although they really didn't like the combat or those pesky "invisible dice". The score is 2.5/5 and here's a snip:
Battles are time-consuming because, in the grand tradition of games that emulate pen & paper role playing a bit too much, Frayed Knights employs invisible dice to determine the success of every action in combat. This means that attacks can, and do, miss the enemy with alarming frequency. Though enemies are also affected by the invisible dice, the result of this is usually to drag combat on for a long time, with particularly painful moments coming when spells that affect multiple targets and have a chance of hitting in the low nineties miss everything, which does happen. When characters do manage to hit the enemy, the damage they deal is also randomized, and while a certain mindset might find it funny when a priest inflicts considerably more pain than a warrior on some turns, such unpredictability just makes fights take even longer. Weak enemies that are no threat to the party still take at least a couple of turns to eliminate, though equipment and levels do alter the danger zone.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 1st, 2011, 23:24
Why do people have such problems with randomness? What's the deal here? Have they never played CRPGs before? How do they write for an RPG gaming site? I'm very confused.

edit: Wow, this guy jumps to the defensive in the comments of the review instantly when someone dares voice that they enjoyed the combat mechanics of the demo. His bias against western RPG mechanics is apparent.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

November 2nd, 2011, 00:58
I also don't understand how an RPG site can complain about die rolls. What's the world coming to? It's going to hell in a handbasket, I say. And you damn kids better stay off my lawn…

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

November 2nd, 2011, 01:15
And this is why I never visit that site. It's a travesty for them to call themselves RPGamers, I tell you.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

November 2nd, 2011, 01:41
I have the exact opposite feeling about RPGs than this reviewer. Actually this reviewer should just stick to action games if he thinks that the battles were time consuming. He should never ever ever play Wizardry 8. Now those battles were time consuming, but I loved every one of them…..well most of them. The castle was a bit too much.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 2nd, 2011, 01:55
How about the three of us get together and jump that reviewer in the parking lot outside RPGamer and beat the crap out of him as he's walking to his car?

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

November 2nd, 2011, 01:57
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
How about the three of us get together and jump that reviewer in the parking lot outside RPGamer and beat the crap out of him as he's walking to his car?
no dice rolls in that one heehee

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

November 2nd, 2011, 08:24
The biggest problem was for me that enemies can hit my priest and mage in the back row. (I mean there is no back row at all ). M&M1 and Wizardry1 had this back row feature in the '80s.

magic_screen

Watcher

November 2nd, 2011, 08:36
Rpgamer doesnt like dice? Perhaps he should try live roleplaying.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 2nd, 2011, 08:50
The reviewer is born 1981 and a fan of Nintendo and eastern crpgs …

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

November 2nd, 2011, 11:50
I suspect the reviewer is more annoyed with battles with weaker enemies taking too long (random misses should occur far less frequently with weak foes), and that misses occur too often.

I haven't played the game other than a few minutes (didn't care for it), but I wonder how damage (base) rolls are done.

Do they have a damage range of 1 - [max] for every weapon, or is the minimum damage more in line with the weapon (i.e. Min = Max / 2). This would explain why sometimes warriors (armed with, I presume, a mightier weapon) might do less damage than a priest armed with a piece of wood.

Just speculating.

Fargol

Watcher

November 2nd, 2011, 11:55
They need to add a "J" to the name of their site or get rid of the "RP"

@Huggy Naaahh, too much effort for a reviewer of JRPGs.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 2nd, 2011, 12:57
Yes, JRPG's have NO randomness in their games, even with the plot!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

November 2nd, 2011, 15:00
@magic_screen: The characters on the "back row" are generally harder to hit, but they can still be hit. It depends on the weapon the enemy is using, but if they aren't shooting crossbow bolts or throwing weapons at you, then the back-row characters probably have a defensive bonus.

@Fargol - Close, minimum damage is max damage / 3. Which is still pretty low, considering the low values used in Frayed Knights. Also, the game uses a bell curve for determining damage rather than a straight random roll, which means weapon damage is more likely to be close to the average than close to the extremes. Still, you'll get those occasions where Ben might roll max damage (10), while Arianna rolls minimum damage (4), especially when criticals are involved.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

November 2nd, 2011, 15:27
So someone who doesn't like RPGs is reviewing… an RPG? On an RPG site? I weep for the future. Weep, I say!

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

November 2nd, 2011, 16:03
Obviously, this guy doesn't know or doesn't care for rpg's. I'm sure he'd think Daggerdale got it just perfect! =p

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 2nd, 2011, 21:47
One of my good friends is a jrpg nut. I never really understood it myself and have mostly stuck to wrpgs. The closest thing to a jrpg I have played in the last few years is Barkley Shut Up and Jam, but that was a pretty good experience, so maybe I ought to try a few more out.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch

November 2nd, 2011, 23:46
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Now that wouldn't be very huggy facey. You've just been downgraded to lieutenant

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld and Sovereign
OlderBytes.com

Charles-cgr

Sentinel

November 3rd, 2011, 01:36
Originally Posted by rossrjensen View Post
One of my good friends is a jrpg nut. I never really understood it myself and have mostly stuck to wrpgs. The closest thing to a jrpg I have played in the last few years is Barkley Shut Up and Jam, but that was a pretty good experience, so maybe I ought to try a few more out.
I like jRPGs a lot, and I like standard RPGs as well, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

November 3rd, 2011, 02:34
Originally Posted by Charles-cgr View Post
Now that wouldn't be very huggy facey. You've just been downgraded to lieutenant
I guess you're going to have to bust me down to private, because after reading that guy's little autobio, I really want to do it. Get up off your lazy can, Skaven. On your feet, soldier!

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Frayed Knights - Review @ RPGamer