The Witcher 2 - GOG sells 35k, Steam 195k

Why woould i bother with bloatware, when i can go straight to GOG?

I can't say I've noticed the overhead myself. Why would I go to GOG when I've already got the Steam client and buying the game is a few clicks away?

I'm just not that fanatical these days about such things. I suspect that's the way most people are. In the end, I just want to buy the game and play it. I also get unmetered downloads with Steam most of the time, which is a huge thing in some countries.

Short of a product being Ubisoft DRM or Starforce, I don't really care much about the DRM aspect either.

Last edited:
The only thing that this proves is that Steam is a lot more popular than GOG... which is hardly even a little surprising! It's not sad or unfair or anything, it would be completely unrealistic to expect something different.

So digital sales only a fraction of retail. I would guess that's probably true in the RPG genre overall, but especially in the case of a game that offered so much in the box. Of those retail sales, I'd guess a very large portion were online stores.

Steam = familiar and convenient = the common human choice.

With that in mind, I'm actually impressed by the GOG numbers.

As for the retail thing, I'm surprised it's still that popular with so many people.

I only use Steam for games that i absolutely cannot get any other way. What bothers me, is that it's becoming the only way as of late. A game in a retail box requiring Steam is total bullshit.

Those who don't identiy it for what it is (I won't name it to prevent a flamewar, but you know what a software is called that prevents you from using your bought software the way you want it) have the client running like friggin facebook. And if sth interesting comes up it is their way of buying. Sad but true.

"And get the hell off my lawn!" :) Oh, come on now. Stop overreacting. You don't like the limitations Steam imposes on your games. That's fine. But stop putting down other people that don't care much, are using the software the way they want, and like the other features that Steam offers.

I also like the convenience of being able to download and easily install any game. Really, I stopped looking at my boxed games a long time ago and now they are mostly just taking up space.

Apparently most of the people here have not played the Steam version (especially the people who are saying Steam is easy to use). I have the Steam version of TW2 and it's terrible, mostly because of HUGE updates. While GOG users get small patches, Steam updates are as big as 11GBs. My client updated my game several times, a total of more than 60 GBs of data in order to run TW2 2.0, while GOG users downloaded 19Gigs. And every time you verify your TW2 on Steam, it will download the game all over again. So, when we are talking about TW2, Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.

But more importantly, the sales indicate the terrible state of PC gaming. That's why good RPGs are dying, and nothing can be done about it if 'most of us' stop piracy and pay for PC games. If we care about RPGs and good PC games, we should support their development by paying for them. Bitching about the demise of RPGs in a forum is not support.

I think one of the important things, as the article suggests, is that releasing a game DRM free isn't going to kill it like so many developers claim. Despite a DRM free, digital version existing, they still sold a ton of copies on steam and over 1MM total. That's pretty impressive.

I bought the GoG version. I will always pick a DRM free version over another. I could always add it to my Steam Launcher with the Add A Non-Steam Game To My Library function in the client if I really wanted to, though that does not automatically update. I think it did not track hours played either doing it that way.

It was a complete no-brainer to buy it from GOG. I am sad to hear it just sold 35000 copies which such an excellent and DRM free offer. It just goes to show that pirates don't care….. if there hadn't been a way to buy it DRM free we would see 100 000 people saying they pirated it for this reason….. what reason could they have now?

I think the small percentage of digital sales comes from the rich contents of the box version. I buy nearly all my new games in boxed form. But, in order to support CdProjekt and their DRM policy I bought Gog version when Witcher 2 was released. At september the boxed version's price dropped I couldn't resist because of the content and so I also bought it too.

The vast majority of people do not care about DRM. It is sad, but true, and this is yet another example.

That said, 35,000 direct sales at full price is pretty darn good. That's almost 2 million bucks with no one taking a cut.

Apparently most of the people here have not played the Steam version (especially the people who are saying Steam is easy to use). I have the Steam version of TW2 and it's terrible, mostly because of HUGE updates. While GOG users get small patches, Steam updates are as big as 11GBs. My client updated my game several times, a total of more than 60 GBs of data in order to run TW2 2.0, while GOG users downloaded 19Gigs. And every time you verify your TW2 on Steam, it will download the game all over again. So, when we are talking about TW2, Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.

But more importantly, the sales indicate the terrible state of PC gaming. That's why good RPGs are dying, and nothing can be done about it if 'most of us' stop piracy and pay for PC games. If we care about RPGs and good PC games, we should support their development by paying for them. Bitching about the demise of RPGs in a forum is not support.

Signature material. Thank you very much.

Maybe it would be worth comparing TW2's figures to the most popular games on GoG to find out whether the majority of the sales came from customers who were already familiar with GoG or if CDP really managed to attract new users to its service.

Maybe it would be worth comparing TW2's figures to the most popular games on GoG to find out whether the majority of the sales came from customers who were already familiar with GoG or if CDP really managed to attract new users to its service.

I tried finding some information regarding numbers for any of their other titles, but apparently GOG doesn't release sales figures for individual games. TW2 seems to be the only exception.

So where are all the pirates who supposedly hungered for DRM-free games? Who would flock to a DRM-free developer in the hundred thousands and vindicate their trust in PC gamers? Yeah, right... thought so...

For a game of W2's quality, 35k is nothing, and I would consider those steam numbers rather on the low end of what I would have expected too. Great to hear that they apparently had good retail sales in the east at least.
Well, once the console version comes out, it will probably beat these numbers easily. Guess what's gonna be the lead platform on the next one?

So where are all the pirates who supposedly hungered for DRM-free games? Who would flock to a DRM-free developer in the hundred thousands and vindicate their trust in PC gamers? Yeah, right… thought so…

For a game of W2's quality, 35k is nothing, and I would consider those steam numbers rather on the low end of what I would have expected too. Great to hear that they apparently had good retail sales in the east at least.
Well, once the console version comes out, it will probably beat these numbers easily. Guess what's gonna be the lead platform on the next one?

I don't have to guess that's there plan from the beginning anyways. Most games should be available for every game system and not exclusive. Not that it will ever happen when companies make million dollar deals to make it exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom