|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Making of the World Video

Default Risen 2 - Making of the World Video

November 16th, 2011, 08:57
A new video developer diary titled The Making of Risen 2 - Epsiode 1, Creating Worlds has been released. Featuring a mix of live video with the likes of Bjorn Pankratz and Mike Hoge and in-game footage, the six minute video offers a good feel for the size of the world and how Piranha Bytes approaches the world creation.
Interestingly, lead programmer Philip Krause explains the landscape is no longer hand-crafted due to the size, with a "terrain engine" implemented for the first time in PB's history.
Thanks, Kostaz and Alistair!
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 16th, 2011, 08:57
Heh, silly promo antics (and one tiny spoiler)…

Interestingly, lead programmer Philip Krause explains the landscape is no longer hand-crafted due to the size, with a "terrain engine" implemented for the first time in PB's history.
Uh Oh

The few scenes shown seem kinda promising though…

JonNik

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 10:00
It probably will be where the landscape itself won't be handcrafter and will be more like how it is with the TES games but the rest will be hand placed. (somewhat like Skyrim)

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

November 16th, 2011, 10:10
I like the live-action pirate theme.

The landscape looks great, I just wish they would show some more in-game footage already.

Still #1 on my list of anticipated games.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 10:19
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
It probably will be where the landscape itself won't be handcrafter and will be more like how it is with the TES games but the rest will be hand placed. (somewhat like Skyrim)
Just as long as the world building (one of PBs greatest strengths) is not compromised,
nothing I've seen up to now would suggest that ofcourse…

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The landscape looks great, I just wish they would show some more in-game footage already.
Nah, Don't want to be spoiled more than that.

Seems my declarations, of wanting a demo this time around, will probably be forgotten
(again, as I was saying that before Risen too) as the game nears release

JonNik

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 13:37
Regarding the "terrain engine" got this from Risen 2's Facebook page:
No worries, the world is still handmade, it only gives Philipp and Sascha a little less pain

SlamDunk

Traveler

November 16th, 2011, 14:46
It is a useless pain to create the landscape models from scratch like they probably had done in the past and probably was almost as much work as creating and placing everything else. They should be able to put much more work into more important things and even potentially make an even better landscape if the terrain engine is good.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

November 16th, 2011, 16:34
Risen had a demo didn't it, like every other PB game I think.

Alistair

Sentinel

November 16th, 2011, 16:42
I'm sure Risen 2 will have a demo. They need to make one anyway for all the people who bought the CE and are in possession of a "beta test" code.

Moriendor

Spielkind

November 16th, 2011, 19:15
[2'09"] It's always worth even revisiting locations you've previously explored as there are lots of quests to discover later in the game.
This is something I've really enjoyed having recently played Risen, G1, and now currently G2.

More often than not, many times it's worth returning to places you've already covered as things change. NPCs frequently will have dialog recognizing quests you've progressed and solved - oftentimes even giving a little extra experience beyond the experience you get completing the quest itself. It is a nice touch and makes their games and endless search for Easter Eggs.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

November 17th, 2011, 19:46
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
This is something I've really enjoyed having recently played Risen, G1, and now currently G2.

More often than not, many times it's worth returning to places you've already covered as things change. NPCs frequently will have dialog recognizing quests you've progressed and solved - oftentimes even giving a little extra experience beyond the experience you get completing the quest itself. It is a nice touch and makes their games and endless search for Easter Eggs.
I have also enjoyed re-visiting previous locations in Gothic 3 and indeed it was rewarding. For Risen 2, my only grumble is that the graphics look a bit cartoony for my taste and it does not seem to take itself seriously (from the character models).

By the way, thank you for your 'player review' on two worlds 2 - very concise and captures the important aspects of the game for me as a player (decided not to buy in the end - better rpgs are coming next year or until the price of the game reduces significantly).

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Making of the World Video