|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

Default Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

November 17th, 2011, 00:35
There are easier ways to justify piracy to oneself than nonsensical hatred of one companies means of digital distribution. Particularly since it's Steam which has many benefits to it, most of them documented in this very thread. Then you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Also, I own Skyrim on Steam. I can play offline, any time. Nobody is watching what I do when I play, other than the achievement tracker and I doubt anyone gives a shit about that. Also, when an update is released- I'll get it automatically and not have to worry about scrounging around torrent sites and shady filehosts for the scene cracked update, whenever they get around to releasing it.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

November 17th, 2011, 00:54
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
As a pirate I got a better user experience than I would have had if I bought the game.
I could play it offline at anytime without activation, hassle free without providing gaben with data about my playthroughs. I didn't need to install anything beyond the game and didn't pay a cent.

As a consumer I have no reason to buy the game instead of downloading it illegally. Instead of punishing customers I believe companies should reward buyers. How is that stupid?
You only need to verify the game once online, after that you can run steam in offline mode to play the game, that is what I did with this game and Deus Ex - Human Revolution.

As far as I can tell, you are just making excuses for pirating *shrug*

Java2

Traveler

November 17th, 2011, 00:59
Originally Posted by Renoaku View Post
About Steam
Spoiler
Awesome essay. Made me reconsider some of my irrational steam hate.
Tomorrow if I can't get the crack to work, I will install steam and play Skyrim without grudge.

Varjo

Traveler

November 17th, 2011, 02:39
My biggest gripe with steam is that it's always mandatory and used as a means to control the customers. What if I simply do not want to use steam? That means I won't buy the game because there isn't an option to play the game without it (not resorting to piracy that is).
If there's more than a disc-check and a serial key I won't buy it.

I know that using steam is beneficial for devs, but let's not pretend that it is meant to provide a better experience for customers since they would have made it optional in that case.

Steam stopped me from buying New Vegas. I wanted to support obsidian, but not steam. Which meant I didn't buy the game, instead I pirated it.
As a pirate I got a better user experience than I would have had if I bought the game.
I could play it offline at anytime without activation, hassle free without providing gaben with data about my playthroughs. I didn't need to install anything beyond the game and didn't pay a cent.

As a consumer I have no reason to buy the game instead of downloading it illegally. Instead of punishing customers I believe companies should reward buyers. How is that stupid?
If you buy the game somewhere other than Steam it does not support Steam in any way, only Bethesda and Obsidian and the store you bought it at. Steamworks is free to developers and Valve only get a cut of actual Steam sales.

So you should have bought the game elsewhere, then played the pirated version. I have no issue with supporting the game and then cracking it or pirating it for a better game experience or to backup your purchase. Outright piracy because you don't like Steam though? That's just being an entitled brat, honestly. Even if it was a case of not wanting to support the game at all, like me and Diablo 3, then you can just not buy AND not play it. You're not entitled to play the game no matter what.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

November 17th, 2011, 12:55
My biggest gripe with steam is that it's always mandatory and used as a means to control the customers. What if I simply do not want to use steam? That means I won't buy the game because there isn't an option to play the game without it (not resorting to piracy that is).
If there's more than a disc-check and a serial key I won't buy it.

I know that using steam is beneficial for devs, but let's not pretend that it is meant to provide a better experience for customers since they would have made it optional in that case.

Steam stopped me from buying New Vegas. I wanted to support obsidian, but not steam. Which meant I didn't buy the game, instead I pirated it.

The game having Steam is no excuse for piracy since you can do what I do and buy the game from a store and then download a crack. You don't even have to download the actual game since the cracks are out there separate from the pirated versions of the games.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

November 17th, 2011, 13:20
You probably know: After installation you can run it without Steam by starting tesv.exe.

yllaettaevaet

Watchdog

November 17th, 2011, 19:50
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
If you buy the game somewhere other than Steam it does not support Steam in any way, only Bethesda and Obsidian and the store you bought it at. Steamworks is free to developers and Valve only get a cut of actual Steam sales.

So you should have bought the game elsewhere, then played the pirated version. I have no issue with supporting the game and then cracking it or pirating it for a better game experience or to backup your purchase. Outright piracy because you don't like Steam though? That's just being an entitled brat, honestly. Even if it was a case of not wanting to support the game at all, like me and Diablo 3, then you can just not buy AND not play it. You're not entitled to play the game no matter what.
well said, DoctorNarrative. Piracy pisses me off.

sakichop

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2011, 05:52
That's exactly how I feel,

LadySaera

saera

November 22nd, 2011, 01:27
When Morrowind first came out it could be simply run even if you didn't own an internet connection. Oblivion was the same and seeing as how its a single person game I can't see why it would need to have internet connection. Skyrim and fallout vegas both need internet connection through steam but there is still no multiplayer, so its just adding resources you're computer has to handle. On the question of piracy. How does punishing valid users justify anything but the companies interests. I know there are pirates out there and yes they supposedly cut in to profits but don't they also advertise freely and would they buy the game if it wasn't able to be pirated. I first began to despise steam when i brought f.e.a.r. 2 and it needed to download a 1gig patch on my mobile internet connection before I could play it. This took a couple of days to complete and by that time my weekend was over and I had to go back to work.

For anyone wanting to run skyrim without steam. It was possible until steam decided to update it by running tesv.exe. seems they have now infected that to. What does this mean. It means that the tesV.exe cannot be edited in any way, which in turn means that we won't be able to make a tool like the oblivion script extender for skyrim as steam exe's can't legally be tampered with.

steam is free to developers because it costs the people who buy the games with it. It doesn't cost directly. It costs because steam gets free advertisement statistics. Every time you play it counts how often you play and what you're doing in the game. This may seem like a great idea (after all game developers need to know how we use the game) its not. Its making there job way to easy and making all the games the same. They know what we like and play so they build a game for that sort of usage. When morrowind first came out it was new. It wasn't built from pre-read statistics of games already played because most games were linear.

Anyway i've ranted enough. I don't like using steam so why have they infected tesV.exe

phase.verocity

Traveler

November 22nd, 2011, 01:35
Originally Posted by phase.verocity View Post
Anyway i've ranted enough. I don't like using steam so why have they infected tesV.exe
If you were circumventing Steam anyway then why would you have got the update? I was playing with Steam off through the exe and obviously can still do so. Until they release a real patch or DLC I will continue to do so, and even then I have the exe backed up in case it still works.

As for why Steam can get away with such things… because people accept it. End of story.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

November 22nd, 2011, 01:48
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
If you were circumventing Steam anyway then why would you have got the update? I was playing with Steam off through the exe and obviously can still do so. Until they release a real patch or DLC I will continue to do so, and even then I have the exe backed up in case it still works.

As for why Steam can get away with such things… because people accept it. End of story.
I didn't update it. I had steam in offline mode. Only ran the game through tesV.exe. But steam somehow managed to update it. Guess i'll have to re-install it now but steam will probably try to update it when i install it again.

phase.verocity

Traveler

November 22nd, 2011, 02:09
Do you really think writing incoherent gibberish will help anyone take you seriously?

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

November 22nd, 2011, 02:26
I didn't update it. I had steam in offline mode. Only ran the game through tesV.exe. But steam somehow managed to update it. Guess i'll have to re-install it now but steam will probably try to update it when i install it again.
Re-installed but same issue. Uninstalling it now and not playing it. Guess its another game I'll have to take off my list of games to play. Shame i've been supporting the elder scrolls series for a long time now but knowing i've got some creepy crawly looking over my shoulder just takes the fun out of it.

phase.verocity

Traveler

November 22nd, 2011, 02:51
Does anyone know how to uninstall a game from my steam account.

phase.verocity

Traveler

November 22nd, 2011, 03:38
So you want to keep using Steam but not playing Skyrim?

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

November 22nd, 2011, 04:21
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
So you want to keep using Steam but not playing Skyrim?
No, but i'd have to install it in order to get the game out of it, I've looked into in and there is no option. That means that I can't take it back. Waste of money. Probably my fault. I should have looked to see if it had steam on it in the first place.

On another note. You can't enable large address aware with the steam copy.

phase.verocity

Traveler

November 22nd, 2011, 06:29
Why would you have Steam on if you can't stand having Steam on enough to return the game? Your posts make no sense.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

November 22nd, 2011, 07:47
On another note. You can't enable large address aware with the steam copy.
Yes you can. It's the same thing that that had to be worked around in Fallout New Vegas. There's already a real fix up.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

November 22nd, 2011, 10:52
Here's a working 4gb mod,

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

November 22nd, 2011, 12:10
Skyrim and fallout vegas both need internet connection through steam but there is still no multiplayer, so its just adding resources you're computer has to handle.
Negligible resources that your computer will have spare because Skyrim doesn't need more than a couple of cores and gigs of RAM. (Skyrim's so light on resources and stable with task flipping that I routinely keep everything open in the background and alt-tab around).
On the question of piracy. How does punishing valid users justify anything but the companies interests. I know there are pirates out there and yes they supposedly cut in to profits but don't they also advertise freely and would they buy the game if it wasn't able to be pirated.
If only something like 4% of people pirating a game buy it, the revenue would double. So even if DRM doesn't affect 96% of pirates, it'd still be worth it.

Presumably because it was part of their agreement in getting Steam services from Valve (advertising, server bandwidth, content delivery platform etc.).

kalniel

SasqWatch

Tags
skyrim, steam
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?