|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - South Park RPG

Default Obsidian Entertainment - South Park RPG

December 2nd, 2011, 01:47
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
A fellow Bostonian! However… you seem slightly attached my friend! I'm hardly alone in critique of said Obsidian product.
I enjoyed Nwn 2 immensely. I'm unsure why you or others make fun of it like that and truthfully don't really care. I liked it and that's all that matters.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

December 2nd, 2011, 01:47
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Errr.. NWN2 was FAR better story, FX and writing wise then NWN1 was. So saying NWN2 wasn't good shows a lack of grasp of these topics (or simply poor taste) on your part.
The NWN2 OC was very dull and felt extremely uninspired to me, just like NWN1's campaign. I guess I have bad taste too then . No need to attack those that don't share your opinions.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

December 2nd, 2011, 01:52
I love both southpark and obsidian and have for many years but for some reason this just makes me die a little inside.
Its like someone went "since i like both chocolate and cars why shove a mars bar in my gas tank and eat what comes out of the tailpipe? Brilliant!".

Biff The Understudy

Watchdog

December 2nd, 2011, 02:02
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
A fellow Bostonian! However… you seem slightly attached my friend! I'm hardly alone in critique of said Obsidian product.
Salem, MA now actually but lived in Boston for over a decade love that town go back often. You in the RPG scene there?

Well I am a fan of obsidian, as they are the last real CRPG studio in north America. (several good ones in Europe however) that said, I do not see how the NWN1 story was anywhere near the quality of NWN2. NWN1 was nothing more then 2 big fed-ex quests duct taped together with a 'betrayal' that was foreshadowed (prob unintentionally due to poor writing) to death. Seriously? The NWN2 story had more depth and interesting NPCs then a whiny elf paladin you could predict a mile away what was going to happen.

And if anyone says the FX was better then I know they are bioware fanboys. *chuckle*

The writing and story pretty much steamrolled nwn1 by far and am astonished anyone legitimately thinks otherwise. Though in fairness that is subject to opinion and ones (low) standards of 'good' writing.

I find when a studio does not bend backwards and caters to the lowest common denominator (intelligent, deep story wise) those denominators not accustomed to more upper crust writing take issue with it. I present Planescape:Torment as evidence of that. While many praise it, many slam it because frankly, the writing is above them and they actually have to read/listen to get anywhere.

NWN1 a sixth grader could follow the story and found it entertaining IMO. Not a highlight of the best by the former Bioware.

My 2 coppers

-Harlequin
Admin of World of Darkness News
News & Community site for the WoD MMORPG
http://www.wodnews.net

Harlequin

Watchdog

Send a message via Yahoo to Harlequin

December 2nd, 2011, 02:21
Well I liked both NWN 1 and 2, but NWN 2 was one of the worst bugfests and unoptimized, poorly executed games I've ever played. That said I still loved it. :/

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 2nd, 2011, 02:31
When people claim nwn1 was better then nwn2 i can only assume they are refering to the gameplay and more importantly the toolset rather then the story.
The fans of nwn1 seems to be focused more on the multiplayer aspect and downloadable modules then the story and sadly nwn2 kinda failed in both those areas.
Gameplay was pretty horrible too especially for melee classes but that is true for both games.
While i consider nwn 2 to be a gigantic step up from nwn1 im also not into multiplayer or player modules.

Biff The Understudy

Watchdog

December 2nd, 2011, 02:54
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Indeed, I think this might just be the most unexpected gaming news I've ever heard. To say that I'm shocked is a serious understatement.

I have no idea whether this will be good or not.
You know what's funny is that when they first teased the news I read some comment (at Gamespot I think) from someone who only said "south park rpg". I thought it was a joke at the time. They must have had some insider info.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch

December 2nd, 2011, 03:01
OK I'm crying uncle! I didn't get very far in last last attempt at NWN2 and I plan on going back in. It wasn't the plot or graphics that killed it for me, it was the interface. It seemed like a series of unnecessary design changes. That's it, nothing else really.

Harlequin all my rpg goodness is on the PC but I am trying to get my kids into DnD, just picked up the Red Box for the 4e toolset and a bunch of metal figures to paint

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 2nd, 2011, 03:09
Originally Posted by rossrjensen View Post
You know what's funny is that when they first teased the news I read some comment (at Gamespot I think) from someone who only said "south park rpg". I thought it was a joke at the time. They must have had some insider info.
I made the same comment here when they teased it (see post #7). Really, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together

- the recent video game references in their episodes
- the series long standing popularity, and
- sometimes very quest-like storylines.

I had no inside knowledge.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 2nd, 2011, 04:16
I can see potential there. I hope Obsidian is seeing it, too. If they make a real, honest RPG out of South Park, I think it could be good. I'd buy it, anyway.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

December 2nd, 2011, 06:06
Wow facepalm time.

Sounds like an ok idea for people who liked southpark, but as an RPG? That being said the definition of an RPG can include just about anything now.

Saxon1974

Sentinel

December 2nd, 2011, 06:54
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
The NWN2 OC was very dull and felt extremely uninspired to me, just like NWN1's campaign. I guess I have bad taste too then . No need to attack those that don't share your opinions.
NWN2: OC was A LOT better than NWN1: OC, if you ask me.
Though, NWN2: Mask of The Betrayer was greater than both.

NWN1: Hordes was great, as well.

MysterD

Watcher

December 2nd, 2011, 07:38
Originally Posted by MysterD View Post
NWN2: OC was A LOT better than NWN1: OC, if you ask me.
Oh, I agree completely with you there. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that it was good (to me, of course ). I was never interested in the toolset/multiplayer module focus of either game, which is why I don't care for the series. I personally would have much rather preferred a continuation of the Infinity Engine style of single-player games for NWN (sort of an "updated/modern Infinity Engine," so to speak), but we didn't really get anything resembling such a thing until Dragon Age: Origins.

NWN2 was a step back towards that direction, but I hated the interface, camera, and general clunkiness of the gameplay - not too mention the boring, stereotypical fantasy story ripped from just about every cliche imaginable and filled with dull, wooden characters. At least, that's how I personally felt about it when I played it. It wasn't a terrible game, it just felt…kind of empty and unsatisfying.

Originally Posted by MysterD View Post
Though, NWN2: Mask of The Betrayer was greater than both.
I agree, MoTB was a vast improvement over the NWN2 OC. Unfortunately, it still had the clunkiness of NWN2's interface, controls, and camera, but I was certainly more than willing to overlook those flaws for a campaign that actually felt inspired.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

December 2nd, 2011, 08:38
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I enjoyed Nwn 2 immensely. I'm unsure why you or others make fun of it like that and truthfully don't really care. I liked it and that's all that matters.
I agree. Still play mods as new ones are still being made. The game has faults but not as much as people bitch and moan about.

As for the South Park RPG meh my interest is low at this point. It may turn to be a hit or a failure just like most of there games do.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

December 2nd, 2011, 09:10
Almost anything could be made into a good rpg. South Park easily could.

This is good news to me, I was assuming a crappy Transformers rpg at best.

Now lets just hope one of the South Park guys can help Obsidian code some decent camera controls too.

Majnun

Sentinel

December 2nd, 2011, 10:20
It could be the best cRPG in the world, and it still wouldn't appeal to me in the least. The better an RPG, the more sad about the setting I'd be.

*goes to the corner and vomits without end*

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 2nd, 2011, 10:20
Oh no! Please Obsidian don't do something that hasn't been done before!
And speaking of things that haven't been done before… the first thing I want is to make it actually look like south park instead of making the children look like balloons with hats. But that would mean 2D! Oh no please Obsidian don't do something that hasn't been done in an AAA game since like the 50s… And speaking about 2D, are we sure this is actually for the pc and not an iOS game or something? ('oh no Obsidian don't… etc.')

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

December 2nd, 2011, 13:01
Damn. I guess that means I won't get my Spongebob RPG?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

December 2nd, 2011, 13:55
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Ok lets sum up today's events. Dragon Age is going multiplayer, The Codex is loose and They killed Kennie is coming to a computer(or probably console) near you.

Great day in the morning
What's wrong with The Codex? O.o

bloodlover

Sentinel

December 2nd, 2011, 14:23
To be cynical : Everything ! *evil grin inside*

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - South Park RPG