What games are you playing now?

I keep going back to Limbo. According to Steam I've spent 10 hours with it!

I've been playing Terraria pretty much non-stop since I purchased it yesterday. It's without a doubt the most fun I've had with an indie game in a very long time.

Still playing Skyrim, actually. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play - but apparently I'm not bored yet.

But I feel I'm close to being done with my first character - and I'll probably let it rest for some months - before I try with another character.

I'm at 85 hours or so, and I expect to be done around the 100 hour mark. That's when I'll reach 100 enchanting - and then I'll finish the main quest.

I still think it's the best game of all time. The funny thing is that it's full of flaws and bugs - but the good parts are simply THAT good.

I started playing Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened which so far I find it appropriately intriguing.

I have also played Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper which I liked more than I expected - its atmosphere was great, the story was all right and the game didn't feel like it was playing itself, like many recent adventure games seem to do.

I also have Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis (which seems to be generally considered the best of the lot) but I keep putting it off. The problem was that the first thing that game did was throw a bunch of documents for me to read. Now I don't have any problem with reading in games, as long as it's at least reasonably spread out throughout the game, but the biggest 'mistake' in this case was that the game didn't do anything to hook me first, so I just put it off until I feel like reading, but when I do, I just pick up a book instead.

This one seems promising. The mystery starts off well enough and I like that it hasn't yet resorted to the typical 'a favor for a favor' errands - I'm sure I will soon have to deliver some letter or find someone's keys to get information but so far I've only done some very appropriate Holmesian detective work - not to mention how the game took me off guard when Holmes ask me a question and I had to deduce the answer by myself without his help, after solving that I was the proudest I've been for myself while playing an adventure game in ages.

I also like the open-world feeling these games have, I know they are not really open but they at least do give an illusion of openness successfully enough. On the bad side, the world does feel very empty and less atmospheric than 'vs. Jack the Ripper'. Also there seem to some holes and -secondary yet noticeable- problems with the script, I'm assuming that parts of it were edited out the last minute because the characters keep mentioning things that it feels like I was supposed to know about but I don't (like when Watson scolds Holmes for mistreating the apparently love-stricken bookseller although I never saw any mistreatment nor did I hear any mention of him being in love before that)

Still playing Skyrim, actually. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play - but apparently I'm not bored yet.

But I feel I'm close to being done with my first character - and I'll probably let it rest for some months - before I try with another character.

I'm at 85 hours or so, and I expect to be done around the 100 hour mark. That's when I'll reach 100 enchanting - and then I'll finish the main quest.

I still think it's the best game of all time. The funny thing is that it's full of flaws and bugs - but the good parts are simply THAT good.

What level are you now? I think I am 33, and still feel I have only just touched on the world.

I'm at roughly 220 hours with my canon Skyrim character at level 41 (have 6 other chars in several stages of the game), finished the main quest(s) and a few select guild questlines and feel that I have seen a great part of the world. But I'm pretty sure that I'll play some more :).

Comparing this to the other ES games ... while I finished the Arena main quest in roughly 4 weeks and I never made a second character, my first playthrough of Daggerfall took me roughly 7 months with two characters. I created another character about 10 years later to replay it. It took me ~18 months to 'finish' Morrowind plus expansions, and I replayed it several times, once again with three different characters. Oblivion took me about three months and four characters. Not counting Battlespire and Redguard (1 char each, about a month per game).

I spend a lot of time just exploring/lawnmowering the landscape. This can take a lot of time, especially with all the mountains in the way and the need to climb them. Lots of random encounters, too. I'm expecting Julie Andrews as random encounter. ;)

So I suppose it depends on your play style - purely goal/quest oriented vs. pure exploration vs larping and combinations of the three….

I spend a lot of time just exploring/lawnmowering the landscape. This can take a lot of time, especially with all the mountains in the way and the need to climb them. Lots of random encounters, too. I'm expecting Julie Andrews as random encounter. ;)

It would be the best easter egg ever! Especially if they used the bard from Dawnstar as the person singing. I cracked up the first time she sang the Dragonborn song :biggrin:

Also there seem to some holes and -secondary yet noticeable- problems with the script, I'm assuming that parts of it were edited out the last minute because the characters keep mentioning things that it feels like I was supposed to know about but I don't (like when Watson scolds Holmes for mistreating the apparently love-stricken bookseller although I never saw any mistreatment nor did I hear any mention of him being in love before that)
Through the game they make references to both events that happened in the books, and also in the previous two games. I don't remember what that particular part was referring to, but it was probably something that has happened in a previous story. You won't miss out on anything important, so don't worry too much about it.

It took me ~18 months to 'finish' Morrowind plus expansions, and I replayed it several times, once again with three different characters.

Yikes.. I can't imagine playing one game for that long. Did you take extended breaks where you played other games, or was it literally just Morrowind for 18 months?

I played Morrowind for around 2 months and explored about 95% of the map. I never did Tribunal or Bloodmoon though. I also spent a good 2 months on Fallout 3+DLC. I can't think of any other games that took me nearly as long to finish as those two.

Was playing Skyrim. Have something like 100+ hours in it now and at level 44. I don't believe I'm even close to finishing the main quest. Been exploring and doing other quests instead. I've pretty much mapped out the eastern part of the world. I've really gone to town searching in the far north-east. Not sure why those icebergs fascinate me so much. I found a couple of interesting quests up there.

Now that is on hold until they release a decent patch. I had to patch Terraria to v1.1 through Steam. When I did Steam snuck a dang patch onto Skyrim. So that's on hold. That's ok. Terraria has me hooked.

This patch for Terraria is huge. It makes the whole game feel brand spanking new….well sorta. The beginning stages are the same, but the middle and later levels are far more interesting.

Since I got the patch a week ago I've played almost forty hours and have close to epic gear now. The beauty of this patch is that there is a boss you have to defeat. Once you have done so the whole game goes into something called 'hardmode' or something like that. The whole world changes. New biomes appear, new enemies, new ore once you do certain events. New everything and the corruption spreads like wildfire.

Can't wait till I have my village turned into a castle complete with lava moats and traps. I'm going to be prepared for the coming invasion :)

What level are you now? I think I am 33, and still feel I have only just touched on the world.

I'm level 44 at this point. I've been travelling all around the world - and aside from completing the Civil War, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines, it's mostly been doing other interesting quests that caught my fancy.

I actually haven't done much in the way of "random" exploring, because there's always been an interesting quest sending me to an interesting place somewhere - and it makes everything seem more meaningful.

My stats say I've cleared 40 dungeons - which means I've seen roughly one third of them all. But my character has reached a point where it won't be long before there won't be any challenge left. I should never have activated that Thief stone near the exit from Helgen :)

Just like Fallout 3 - you level up too fast, and the cap or near-cap is reached too soon. Then again, this is for people like me who generally prefer just a single character. That's because I have a certain favorite playstyle - and even if I'm curious to play a sword/shield Paladin or a Mage - I know I won't enjoy them at the same level. So, I'd rather have done everything with one character - but the levelling speed would need to be halved or something like that.

But I find that my combat skill-levels aren't as important as the Enchanting skill. That's probably the most powerful skill of all, because you will eventually be able to tailor your gear to rather insane levels - or at least that's what it looks like based on the numbers. I could just stay away from it, I know, but I'm simply too much of a min/max'er.

Not quite sure what the best "fix" is for that - but I'd say it should definitely take more work to level certain skills at this point. Smithing and Enchanting are too easy to level - even if you're not "grinding" them. I'd have preferred them removed from the skill-set entirely and have them be more exclusive somehow. The problem with Smithing is that once you get Dragon Armor smithing, you know you've reached the top-tier in terms of gear - and it's WAY too easy to reach that point. Dragons are also too abundant and they're generally not challenging enough.

They should have started appearing much later, and they should have been rare and extremely powerful.

Also, though money isn't THAT easy to come by - it's still trivially easy to train your way to the top in most skills. I think training should be capped at 75 or something like that - which would help a great deal.

Good news is that all those things should be trivially easy to fix once the Creation kit is out.

100+ hours of Skyrim and I still haven't hit the level cap. I wouldn't call that leveling up too fast ;)

Still I get what you're saying. I wouldn't mind if it slowed down a bit. The gameworld is too massive to level up this quickly.

Thanks for the tip Samy on Battlezone 2. I found a copy of it on Amazon along with a rare of copy of Battle realms (another game that I have never heard of to scratch my RTS itch) Both are a blast in between more Skrim of course.

I'm 300 hours in but I've restarted 5 times. I enjoy the newbie feeling too much. Smithing and Enchanting need work. Smithing needs to only grant skill increases, if you're working on appropriately leveled metals. Anthing will raise you up to 30, but from 30 up, you'll need to be forging at least Elven and it should keep doing that till you have to be forging Daedric to earn Dragon. As it is now, you can forge iron daggers to 100 in a couple hours.

Enchanting just need to be slowed down by a factor of 10 at least. Charging weapons shouldn't raise enchanting. Smithing could be slowed down by forcing you to actually mine all your metals. Take ore and ingots out of the global merchant list and make exploration necessary to become a smith. They could also make it where only the Skyforge was enchanted enough to forge the highest metals, such as Glass, Daedric, Ebony, and Dragon. Aorlund could send you on quests to obtain the Forefather's Hammer, the Tongs of Talos, the Anvil of Crom, etc :)

Last edited:
Yikes.. I can't imagine playing one game for that long. Did you take extended breaks where you played other games, or was it literally just Morrowind for 18 months?
Morrowind plus expansions, no other games in between. I did take one or the other break, of course, but with the exception of my vacations no break lasted longer than a few days. During that time I have not been home sick, though, and could only play for a limited amount of time/day.

I played Morrowind for around 2 months and explored about 95% of the map. I never did Tribunal or Bloodmoon though. I also spent a good 2 months on Fallout 3+DLC. I can't think of any other games that took me nearly as long to finish as those two.
X Series? I seem to remember you working on your X2 factory empire for quite a while.

Just like Fallout 3 - you level up too fast, and the cap or near-cap is reached too soon. Then again, this is for people like me who generally prefer just a single character. That's because I have a certain favorite playstyle - and even if I'm curious to play a sword/shield Paladin or a Mage - I know I won't enjoy them at the same level. So, I'd rather have done everything with one character - but the levelling speed would need to be halved or something like that..

Seeing as how your playstyle is very similar to mine, your post serves as a warning for me. It looks like I'll be needing another XP-reducer mod when I'm ready to take a serious run at Skyrim. Leveling too quickly has always been an issue for me in Bethesda's games, and I don't expect that to change.

X Series? I seem to remember you working on your X2 factory empire for quite a while.

Nope.. unfortunately I never found the time to really get into the X series, despite collecting all the games.

I don't know why I keep giving Might & Magic 6 so many chances. I should just learn to accept that the game is not for me.

Let me guess… is it the interface? :) I think M&M 6-8 were great in most aspects, but many people who don't like them say it's because of the UI.

*whispers* Dude, you said that out loud.

Pay him no mind folks, he was just making a joke. No need for those pitchforks and torches. He didn't mean it, really he didn't.

Back
Top Bottom