|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGCodex is no more?

Question RPGCodex is no more?

December 26th, 2011, 13:19
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Come on people, send them some internets.
What does this term mean ? It's the first time I see it as that.
And what does "popamole" mean ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#21

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,057

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 13:22
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
what does "popamole" mean ?
Take a wild guess.

Originally Posted by Corwin
When I lock 'em, they STAY LOCKED!! Don't push your luck!!!!
Grunker is offline

Grunker

Grunker's Avatar
Codex Staffie

#22

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 55

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 13:30
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
And what does "popamole" mean ?
Not sure if serious.

Take Whackamole. Switch the hammer for a gun. Popamole.

It works even better if you also switch the holes for waist high cover and the moles for futuristic space soldiers, if ye get the drifting drift.
The Faerie Queene is offline

The Faerie Queene

The Faerie Queene's Avatar
Whimsical fairy idol.

#23

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pretty witch swamp, fairyland.
Posts: 32

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 13:41
Better be back, this place is terribly dull.
rivmusique is offline

rivmusique

Watcher

#24

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 14:36
they'll be back

its the last stand of true RPGs………… with superior console controls
tennishero is offline

tennishero

tennishero's Avatar
Watcher

#25

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 50

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 14:49
Let's hope it's only a joke…
Lightbane is offline

Lightbane

Lightbane's Avatar
The Master

#26

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 15:00
Okay, I'll translate it as "trigger-happy" for me now.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#27

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,057

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 15:46
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I don't want to precipitate an us-vs-them-statistics argument but those figures are worthless. Our page-views are in the multi-millions per month, which certainly averages more than ~8000 / day (unless they mean uniques, then they should say so). I guess the scale could be relative but I wouldn't know without better data.

The Alexa score is worthless because it includes measurements like bounces that we don't care about - we could deliberately design the front page to encourage more page-views (like, say, GameBanshee) but we deliberately want an easy to read site.

Anyway, carry on!

[For those fools who are genuinely concerned, this is undoubtedly a joke message]
Yes, that is exactly why the text on your forums fills up exactly an eighth of my screen, and doesn't really expand much beyond that. Easy to read, indeed.
Roll-A-Dice is offline

Roll-A-Dice

I am an asshole.

#28

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 53

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 16:06
All those people happy to see the codex down.. Its cause they are delighted at the thought of codexers coming post here right ? righ?!
Mortmal is offline

Mortmal

Traveler

#29

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 16

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 16:12
Back up at last. Took DU long enough. Not sure if I like the new look, and I hope he gets rid of the whole "must be on at least 3 bro-lists"-rule. Kinda quiet without the morons. Probably just to beta-test the new soft-/hardware with low loads.
Though, I suspect he'll keep it like this for a week or so, to see if some simply stay on the Watch and stop bothering us.
Shannow is offline

Shannow

Shannow's Avatar
Traveler

#30

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 16:17
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Okay, I'll translate it as "trigger-happy" for me now.
It's something more than that though, it's a word perfectly summing up the gameplay of an entire genre, you sit behind cover, and you pop shots off at moles(npcs), who mover between cover to cover.

Gears of War
Mass Effect 2
Deus Ex:HR department.

What do you do, you sit at your stand and just pop at moles, it's all 3rd person shooters have really become now. With a few noted exceptions, IE that of Dead Space. Failure of a horror game, but it at least lacked a noticeable cover mechanic.

But gameplay wise, outside of dialogue in Mass Effect 2, and similar games, you just sit behind cover and popamole. Occasionally this is broken up by moving to new cover, and you again, sit behind that cover and popamole.
Roll-A-Dice is offline

Roll-A-Dice

I am an asshole.

#31

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 53

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 16:32
Good thing they reserved the rpgcodex.net domain:
Expiration Date: 2020-07-18 19:08:19
Creation Date: 2007-07-18 19:08:19


hishadow is offline

hishadow

Level N+1

#32

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern parts of Norway
Posts: 1,142

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 17:17
Originally Posted by Roll-A-Dice View Post
It's something more than that though, it's a word perfectly summing up the gameplay of an entire genre, you sit behind cover, and you pop shots off at moles(npcs), who mover between cover to cover.

Gears of War
Mass Effect 2
Deus Ex:HR department.

What do you do, you sit at your stand and just pop at moles, it's all 3rd person shooters have really become now. With a few noted exceptions, IE that of Dead Space. Failure of a horror game, but it at least lacked a noticeable cover mechanic.

But gameplay wise, outside of dialogue in Mass Effect 2, and similar games, you just sit behind cover and popamole. Occasionally this is broken up by moving to new cover, and you again, sit behind that cover and popamole.
Don't forget regenerating health/lack of medikits and inventory limited to two weapons only, no matter what.
Lightbane is offline

Lightbane

Lightbane's Avatar
The Master

#33

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 17:47
Originally Posted by Shannow View Post
Back up at last. Took DU long enough. Not sure if I like the new look, and I hope he gets rid of the whole "must be on at least 3 bro-lists"-rule. Kinda quiet without the morons. Probably just to beta-test the new soft-/hardware with low loads.
Though, I suspect he'll keep it like this for a week or so, to see if some simply stay on the Watch and stop bothering us.
The removal of General Discussion is the biggest surprise, without a doubt. The Codex just won't be the same without it.
KalosKagathos is offline

KalosKagathos

KalosKagathos's Avatar
Watcher

#34

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 49

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 23:42
The Watch is very lax with its rules and as long as people don't post outright racist, aggressive, slanderous things and so on, the moderators let it go.

No pornographic material is allowed either.

So basically, if you act like a normal human being, who swears once in a while and complains about lots of things, people here won't mind too much.
If you start to go crazy and insult people for the heck of it you'd get banned.


While I find a lot of Codexers irritating, I wouldn't ban or kick them. They have the right to speak out too.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#35

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,388
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 23:47
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
The Watch is very lax with its rules and as long as people don't post outright racist, aggressive, slanderous things and so on, the moderators let it go.

No pornographic material is allowed either.
Clearly you have not looked at the recent postings in the refugee thread.

> While I find a lot of Codexers irritating, I wouldn't ban or kick them. They have the right to speak out too.

Yes they do but they should conform to this sites tempo and tone, not the other way around. That was my only point.

-Harlequin
Admin of World of Darkness News
News & Community site for the WoD MMORPG
http://www.wodnews.net
Harlequin is offline

Harlequin

Harlequin's Avatar
Watchdog

#36

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 210
Send a message via Yahoo to Harlequin

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 23:58
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Clearly you have not looked at the recent postings in the refugee thread.

> While I find a lot of Codexers irritating, I wouldn't ban or kick them. They have the right to speak out too.

Yes they do but they should conform to this sites tempo and tone, not the other way around. That was my only point.
You're right. I hadn't gone through all of it and some of it is clearly out of line. Those posts should be deleted and the posters warned.

I'm guessing though that the moderators who have real lives too do not have time to check that thread as it went from 15 pages to 50 in 2 hours…
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#37

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,388
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

December 26th, 2011, 23:59
That's why we allow the Refugee thread which is supervised by senior admin Jaz. We try to keep all Codex posting in the one place!! This is holiday time and we all have families.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#38

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,673
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

December 27th, 2011, 01:17
And that's fine and quite understandable, I was simply making a point to my statements so they could be addressed. No need to shoot the messenger Pladio.

-Harlequin
Admin of World of Darkness News
News & Community site for the WoD MMORPG
http://www.wodnews.net
Harlequin is offline

Harlequin

Harlequin's Avatar
Watchdog

#39

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 210
Send a message via Yahoo to Harlequin

Default 

December 27th, 2011, 01:19
I wasn't trying to be offensive to you. Just trying to explain my point of view.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#40

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,388
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Tags
butthurt, furry wicked witches, sentinel
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGCodex is no more?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:26.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch