|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Pre-Order DLC Bonus - "Treasure Island"

Default Risen 2 - Pre-Order DLC Bonus - "Treasure Island"

January 31st, 2012, 23:06
Deep Silver sent us a press release announcing a pre-order bonus DLC for Risen 2 titled Treasure Island. Those who pre-order from "selected territories at participating retailers" before the April release will get Treasure Island for free, otherwise worth 800 points / equivalent in real money:

Story DLC “Treasure Isle” exclusive pre-order bonus for Risen 2TM: Dark Waters
Ahoy, mates! Free booty for all pirates! Experience an exciting new story in the pursuit of Captain Steelbeard’s treasure in the pre-order bonus for pirate RPG by developer Piranha Bytes
31st January 2012 - Hampshire, UK/… Deep Silver today announced a special pre-order bonus that will be available for free for everyone who buys the engrossing pirate RPG Risen 2: Dark Waters before its release at the end of April.

The DLC with the fitting name “Treasure Isle” offers exclusive additional content for the intrepid adventurer. The player will embark on an extra story questline to uncover Captain Steelbeard's legendary treasure – a quest that will continue a plot element from the first Risen game and finally bring it to an exciting conclusion.

The story of the DLC revolves around Harlok, a cook on Steelbeard’s ship Elenor, who stole the secret clues that lead to the pirate captain’s hidden treasure. However it is only with the help of the player that Harlok is able to find it.

This quest will take the hero and Patty, Steelbeard’s daughter, to an unknown island that offers new environments to explore with many puzzles to solve, treasures to loot and mysteries to unravel. The player will discover a legendary item (only available in this DLC) - offering his character a permanent stat boost.

This exclusive pre-order bonus DLC with a value of £8.00 / 800 Microsoft Points, will be made available in selected territories at participating retailers.
Thanks to Frozen Fireball for a similar submission.

More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

January 31st, 2012, 23:06
I proposed to my girlfriend while on stage for a production of Treasure Island. That was fun
kalniel is offline

kalniel

SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,877

Default 

January 31st, 2012, 23:09
Hmmm! Here we go again with these pre-order DLCs. Thank god for PC versions and digital distribution - I will wait few month before buying at a lower price.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#3

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,355

Default 

January 31st, 2012, 23:39
This is much worse than the KoA approach, where simply buying the game new gets you the DLC for free. I'm not a huge fan of that type of incentive either, but at least it isn't as heavy-handed as this and seems like a fair compromise for all involved - it doesn't have an effect on those who buy the game new and gives a little incentive to discourage used sales, nothing more. This "pre-order" bonus, however…I'm kind of shocked and disappointed that a company like Piranha Bytes would pull something like this, and in my opinion, it's very counter-intuitive for a medium-sized "under-dog" company that has garnered loyal support for not acting in this manner to do this.

This is far from a "I refuse to buy!" situation, but still, I'm very disappointed in PB. If bigger companies can be ripped apart for doing things like this, then it's only fair to take PB to task for doing the same dang thing.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 839

Default 

January 31st, 2012, 23:42
Yeah, can't say I am thrilled about this. I half expect them to be freely available some time in the future ala Witcher but still… I'll just ignore that crap, for now…
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:00
Though obviously disappointing, I don't see how this is worse than KoA. The KoA approach reduces the value of a used game, whilst this does not (when the pre-order option has gone, new games and used games are on equal footing). Unfortunately pre-order bonuses are becoming more and more common.

Piranha Bytes are probably my favourite developer (and therefore have a bit of goodwill to draw on), so I will pre-order it. They are balancing on a fine line though, and if the content was exclusive to pre-orders I wouldn't buy the game. I'll accept PB copying Bethesda (and this includes eventually releasing a Risen 2 Gold), but I'll turn my back on them if they go down the Bioware route…
Ithilien is offline

Ithilien

Watcher

#6

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 72

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:03
PB is the developer, not the publisher. Selling the game is not their business.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#7

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,835

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:04
I don't have a problem with them offering an incentive to buy it now. I rarely buy a game at release since I know I can wait and get it at a much lower price. This rewards me for going ahead and making the plunge, though with a PB game it was a given I was going to make an exception and get it as soon as it's out anyway.

I remember when I bought The Witcher 2 from Good Old Games, there were several things I got for pre-ordering - some music, artwork, wallpapers, and a 10% discount. I guess that isn't the same as DLC, but it was extra incentive.
Xian is offline

Xian

Xian's Avatar
Sentinel

#8

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 257

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:08
Originally Posted by Ithilien View Post
Though obviously disappointing, I don't see how this is worse than KoA.
Ha! I was waiting for this double-standard.

So, on the one-hand, it's terrible for everyone who buys it new from any vendor to get a bonus but on the other, it's acceptable to only get the bonus if you buy pre-release from the right vendor in the right territories?

Hilarious.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#9

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:16
I don't really have a problem with DLC in general but what I'm disappointed in is that Steelbeard's treasure is "only" getting the DLC treatment.
The whole Steelbeard quest was the major side quest in the first game and now it is concluded via a pre-order DLC in Risen 2? WTF? That doesn't seem right.
The quest was already a bit half-assed in Risen with no real conclusion so I would have hoped that this quest would have gotten the attention it deserves in Risen 2. This should -in my opinion- have been a major story arc throughout the entire game instead of being a completely optional, separate quest line.
I'm also wondering how they are going to do this exactly. They can't really let us haul away a major treasure as part of a DLC quest. It would screw up the balancing big time. Which means that they are going to have to have a more or less lame explanation at the end of the quest why the treasure has become unusable or (nearly) worthless… which again wouldn't do this potentially epic quest line much justice.

Not good…
Moriendor is offline

Moriendor

Moriendor's Avatar
Spielkind

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Schland
Posts: 1,907

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:57
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Ha! I was waiting for this double-standard.

So, on the one-hand, it's terrible for everyone who buys it new from any vendor to get a bonus but on the other, it's acceptable to only get the bonus if you buy pre-release from the right vendor in the right territories?
You have a point. As I stated in the earlier KoA thread, my problem with online passes is that there are three gamers in my family. I am forced to pick or choose who gets to activate the pass on their profile and have everyone play on the same profile, or buy two more online passes, adding to the cost of the game overall. This pre-order DLC would have the exact same issue if I were to buy it on the 360.

I wasn't looking at it from that angle since I was planning on getting this on the PC. I only buy titles that they want to play too on the console. My kids are only into more action oriented RPGs such as KoA, Mass Effect, and such. I never could get them interested in the Gothic or Elder Scroll titles.
Xian is offline

Xian

Xian's Avatar
Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 257

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 00:58
"selected territories at participating retailers"

So, I'll more than likely not be able to get this. Either through region lock, or by importing it instead of buying from the "right" retailer. I could have lived without in game items, but Steelbeard's treasure quest? That's cruel.
Sin is offline

Sin

Sin's Avatar
Recluse

#12

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 96

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 01:58
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Ha! I was waiting for this double-standard.

So, on the one-hand, it's terrible for everyone who buys it new from any vendor to get a bonus but on the other, it's acceptable to only get the bonus if you buy pre-release from the right vendor in the right territories?

Hilarious.
I'm laughing pretty hard at this as well, so predictable.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,918

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 02:00
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
"selected territories at participating retailers"

So, I'll more than likely not be able to get this. Either through region lock, or by importing it instead of buying from the "right" retailer. I could have lived without in game items, but Steelbeard's treasure quest? That's cruel.
Oh you can still get by other means.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#14

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 9,552

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 02:38
Not too thrilled about this concept. I think Moriendor summed it up well.. this is not something I want to see as a DLC.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,819

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 02:41
I like this. I like this a lot. They're finally rewarding those of us who pre-order. We pay the original price (normally about 40 bucks) for our day one purchases and yet someone who bought the game in the bargain bin got exactly the same content.

Although I agree that the DLC shouldn't have been about Steelbeard. That was in the first game and everyone should be able to see that quest. What they should have done was make a new quest.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#16

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 03:49
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I like this. I like this a lot. They're finally rewarding those of us who pre-order. We pay the original price (normally about 40 bucks) for our day one purchases and yet someone who bought the game in the bargain bin got exactly the same content.
They shouldn't be rewarding people simply for having blind faith, and they shouldn't "punish" people who are wise enough to wait for a game to actually come out and analyze whether or not the game is actually worth buying it at full price - previews and past reputation alone are hardly enough to go by in making an informed decision (Gothic 3 at the time of release, anyone? Dragon Age 2?). Why not "reward" anybody who buys the game period, ala CdProject Red, or maybe "reward" anyone who purchases the game new at any point instead of used? Seems like a much better way to garner goodwill and offer a fair incentive to encourage the purchase of a game than holding interesting content hostage unless one is willing to take a big risk in blindly buying a game before anything tangible is known about the game's quality.

People like me who are likely to purchase Risen 2 in the crucial first week shouldn't feel "locked out" of content simply for wanting to know if the game is truly good or not. By holding content out in this manner, I feel "encouraged" to instead wait for a complete or "GoTY" edition at a discount price instead of buying it immediately without the complete game. This isn't a simple "costume" DLC that I would never want in the first place; this is an interesting quest line that has ties to one of the better side-quests of Risen 1 and should be a part of the full game.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#17

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 839

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 04:51
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
They shouldn't be rewarding people simply for having blind faith, and they shouldn't "punish" people who are wise enough to wait for a game to actually come out and analyze whether or not the game is actually worth buying it at full price - previews and past reputation alone are hardly enough to go by in making an informed decision (Gothic 3 at the time of release, anyone? Dragon Age 2?). Why not "reward" anybody who buys the game period, ala CdProject Red, or maybe "reward" anyone who purchases the game new at any point instead of used? Seems like a much better way to garner goodwill and offer a fair incentive to encourage the purchase of a game than holding interesting content hostage unless one is willing to take a big risk in blindly buying a game before anything tangible is known about the game's quality.

People like me who are likely to purchase Risen 2 in the crucial first week shouldn't feel "locked out" of content simply for wanting to know if the game is truly good or not. By holding content out in this manner, I feel "encouraged" to instead wait for a complete or "GoTY" edition at a discount price instead of buying it immediately without the complete game. This isn't a simple "costume" DLC that I would never want in the first place; this is an interesting quest line that has ties to one of the better side-quests of Risen 1 and should be a part of the full game.
So anyone who pre-orders should get no incentive to do so or reward?

The industry is trying new things in order to make a profit and as long as they stay away from making me pay a monthly fee to play their game then I'm fine with them experimenting. Especially with experiments where they reward their customers who have a wee bit of faith in their product.

Didn't I already say that they should not have chosen a quest line from Risen 1? You're preaching to the choir about that one.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#18

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 05:15
Pre-order should be cheaper because you are taking a risk getting it before the reviews hit. Crap like this should just be part of the main game. Stuff produces AFTER the release should be DLC.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 952

Default 

February 1st, 2012, 05:50
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
So anyone who pre-orders should get no incentive to do so or reward?

The industry is trying new things in order to make a profit and as long as they stay away from making me pay a monthly fee to play their game then I'm fine with them experimenting. Especially with experiments where they reward their customers who have a wee bit of faith in their product.
Fair enough, I see your point even though I personally think it could be handled in a different way. I guess I'll just never have faith in a company purely on the basis of name and reputation alone, as each game functions as its own separate entity and should - in my opinion - be judged separately as well. Risen 2 is going to be vastly different from Risen 1, and while I am very happy that PB is being creative and trying to go in a different direction, Risen 1 and the Gothic series can't be used to judge whether or not I'll enjoy Risen 2. I'm very positive that I will, but I can't be certain until the game comes out - and I don't want to "miss out" on additional, interesting content for waiting a mere couple of days to see how it turns out before commiting to a purchase decision.

I haven't pre-ordered a game in years, but I've bought several within the first few days, with Skyrim, Human Revolution, Frayed Knights and The Witcher 2 being the most recent examples of week one purchases - is that really much different from pre-ordering?. Perhaps a better compromise would be to offer this sort of DLC for free to anyone who buys the game new within the first 2 weeks or even a month. I will always emphatically prefer that this practice not be used at all,in any shape or form, but that seems like a decent compromise that is more "fair" than limiting the incentive to pre-orders alone.

Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Didn't I already say that they should not have chosen a quest line from Risen 1? You're preaching to the choir about that one.
I was more disagreeing with the first part of the quote, and because this questline is the "reward/incentive" for pre-ordering, I used it as the basis for my opinion.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#20

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 839
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Pre-Order DLC Bonus - "Treasure Island"
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:37.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch