|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - Launch Trailer, Interview

Default KoA: Reckoning - Launch Trailer, Interview

February 1st, 2012, 22:36
EA and 38 Studios have released a launch trailer for Reckoning, which you can watch here courtesy for VG247.
In other news, Stuff.co.nz has a general interview with Big Huge Games' Sean Bean and Ian Frazier:
Frazier says the developers didn't want gamers to have to learn complex attack combos. He believes the combat system will appeal to both hardcore gamers and more casual players.
''We didn't want people to memorise 'X, X, Y, Y, right trigger, B, lightening' because the average person doesn't want to do that - or they can't. We didn't want to make that a requirement so instead we built all of the combat around contextual moves. Press X, press X faster, press X slower, hold X, hit X after you block, hit X after you roll. It's very intuitive. People have found it really easy to pick up the combat and they're soon able to do this plethora of awesome moves in the middle of a fight and just be tactical about it,'' he says.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 1st, 2012, 22:36
Pretty fun trailer. But…

"Press X, press X faster, press X slower"? Oh dear. Maybe I'll try the demo before buying afterall.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 1st, 2012, 23:06
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
EA and 38 Studios have released a launch trailer for Reckoning, which you can watch here courtesy for VG247.
In other news, Stuff.co.nz has a general interview with Big Huge Games' Sean Bean and Ian Frazier:
More information.
"Reckoning is coming"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Might as well go for broke and get it out of my system:

"I used to make Sean Bean "Winter is Coming" jokes, then I took an arrow in the knee."

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

February 1st, 2012, 23:43
The guy have a twitter with the name: NotThatSeanBean.

Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
"Press X, press X faster, press X slower"? Oh dear. Maybe I'll try the demo before buying afterall.
It's similar to The Witcher 2 but with "combos". In The Witcher 2 each click cause a different move in the sequence. In KoA, some move in the sequences can be different depending if you wait "0.5" seconds or not and got the talent to have a more powerful and colorful moves (i.e. you need to unlock the moves).

Example:
With the sword when you start the game, you have 3 different sequences:
- Right swing -> launch enemy up in the air. (press x, wait a bit, press x)
- Right swing -> left swing -> launch. (press x, press x, wait a bit, press x)
- Right swing -> left swing -> right swing -> left swing -> power attack. (press x, press x, press x, press x, press x)

There is also moves that can only be done after a roll or a block.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

February 2nd, 2012, 01:11
I have to say that learning complex button key sequences to unlock the proper combos can be a bit tiresome. Not sure if reducing everything to one button is the right answer, though.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 2nd, 2012, 07:31
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Pretty fun trailer. But…

ah ha
so they are back to the old Fighting game - dressed up as an RPG. This was the initial design plan when I first started hearing about this game. In any event, I'm having a lot of fun with Skyrim, so I can wait to hear from you guys about KOA before I make a purchase.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

February 2nd, 2012, 20:05
Not sure why anybody would express concern over how combat is described when there's a demo available where you can try it yourself.

Allowing different attacks based on whether I pause between clicks, or hold clicks longer, works just fine for me. Others may disagree, but try out the demo and see for yourself. Just get to 2nd level, and you can put points in the 2nd tier of attack abilities and unlock these moves.

Fantasm

Watchdog

February 2nd, 2012, 20:34
Because we have tried it, and frankly it's rather meh…..

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 2nd, 2012, 23:25
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
That's fine, I just thought it odd that people were reacting to a (rather bad) attempt at a verbal description of the combat, rather than what the combat actually is.

I do agree that the quote read very badly. "Rather than do this comblicated action, you'll do this other complicated action!". Normally I'd just let it go, but then somebody posted as if they were basing their opinion on this game based on these previews, rather than trying it themselves.

I guess I could have politely pointed them to the demo, that's all I was getting at…

Fantasm

Watchdog

February 2nd, 2012, 23:46
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
The hive mind has spoken…

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

February 2nd, 2012, 23:55
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - Launch Trailer, Interview