The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Ah, thanks.
I don't know much about that kind of music. ;)

Ah yes. I like Death/Goth/Doom Metal much better than Dark Wave or wavy Goth Rock.

Though I still prefer Power and/or Symphonic Metal. Heck, I even re-bought several of my NWOBHM and Hair Metal vinyls in mp3 format (did I mention that I hate vinyl records with a passion? Hated them since I got my first one back in '72).

Well I like Manson, cannot deny that although I tend to stay away from the "Mainstream" Usually.

If you guys like the Death/Goth/Doom scene here is another one from Draconian: Earthbound. They have very mellow and melancholic pieces too if you prefer: It Grieves my heart

Another favorite band: My dying Bride - A kiss to remember

Also another pretty cool clip from Moonspell: Night Eternal

Though I still prefer Power and/or Symphonic Metal. Heck, I even re-bought several of my NWOBHM and Hair Metal vinyls in mp3 format (did I mention that I hate vinyl records with a passion? Hated them since I got my first one back in '72).

Aww come on, I love Lps (for the collector value/feel mostly but some times for the warmth of the reproduction too). I have kept all my old ones even while I currently do not own a functioning player (among my favorites FOTN:The Nephilim, Paradise Lost:Icon, Dio:Holy Diver and several stuff from Bauhaus)!

I started metal from power myself (It seemed a natural transition from my classical music background ;) I mostly add genres as I go along) Still like it and have a fond place in my heart for bands like Gamma ray, Savatage etc (even Manowar :) ) … If you want to Consider Dio power too well he never stopped being an awesome figure in my music from the early years. I was crushed on the news of his death. I was very lucky to see him Live for the first time just months before he died :(

Ooops there I go again :biggrin:

Last edited:
My first LP jumped and crackled. 'crackle'*jump*'crackle'*jumpjump...
Sheesh, I'm still traumatized.

I have a whole lot of them here, too (Manowar, Venom, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Alaska, Heaven 17, Jean-Michel Jarre, Alan Parsons Project, Asia, Kraftwerk, Zara-Thustra, KISS, Maiden, Saxon, Dio, Al Stewart, Harry Chapin, Midnight Dynamos, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Boney M, Silver Convention, Motorhead, Randy Newman, Andrew Gold, Chick Corea, ABC, many, many soundtrack LPs and many, many Rick Wakeman and Mike Batt LPs ... many marches, operas and symphonies and so on), but whenever I get the chance to I either digitize them or buy a non-LP version of them. There are several I never got in CD form ... Rick Wakeman's 'No Earthly Connection', for example, or Zara-Thustra's 'Psychopoly', or Warning's 'Why can the bodies fly'.
The only LP I thought was better than the CD was Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth ... just for the cover, which made absolutely no sense in CD-format. And I once bought 'Romantic Warrior' by Return to Forever just because I liked the cover.

My first LP jumped and crackled. 'crackle'*jump*'crackle'*jumpjump… Sheesh, I'm still traumatized.

Heh, yeah production values and player quality could be a wildly varied thing.
I personally am a fan of crystal clear productions myself so I too prefer to listen
my music from a CD. But the cold and clinical reproduction of the CD is not always
the best match for all kinds of music (I love it for classical though, I am sure many
audiophiles would disagree).

Quite a collection you have there! mine is tiny, probably less than 30 Lps all said (my CD one is starting to push me outside my library though :D)

Draconian rules, easily in my top 3 of all time when it comes to gothic doom

Lately listening to instrumental doom, namely Serpent Throne. Good stuff, and doesnt distract me w/ lyrics while I'm working.

Draconian rules, easily in my top 3 of all time when it comes to gothic doom

Great band, still berating myself for failing to go and see them live when they were in my neck of the wood (well more like in a 200km radius).

Share the other 2 ? ;)

Well I like Manson, cannot deny that although I tend to stay away from the "Mainstream" Usually.

Manson is considered mainstream over there? Where you you live? Hades? ;)

If you guys like the Death/Goth/Doom scene here is another one from Draconian: Earthbound. They have very mellow and melancholic pieces too if you prefer: It Grieves my heart

Almost sounds like a heavier version of Evanescence. The music doesn't quite grab me, but the girl is cute. :)

Manson is considered mainstream over there? Where you you live? Hades? ;)

Heh, He is a pop idol and a product of the mainstream music industry and star system as controversial as he likes to be thought of (and goes out of his way to be). Still like his stuff though. His tainted love and personal jesus covers rock…

Almost sounds like a heavier version of Evanescence. The music doesn't quite grab me, but the girl is cute. :)

Earthbound sounds like evanescence to you :lol: You are hardcore my friend ;)
The more melancholic stuff is mainly in their earlier era, their Paradise Lost influences are really starting to peek out in their latest stuff.

This is as hard as I go btw: Nephilim: Penetration, Old man's child: Twilight Damnation

And I am really done for now, honest, sorry for the possible ear bleeding :)

ahem, +1 on the Girl.

Heh, He is a pop idol and a product of the mainstream music industry and star system as controversial as he likes to be thought of (and goes out of his way to be). Still like his stuff though.

I wouldn't call him a product of mainsteam music… at least not originally. Their earlier stuff was great, and Antichrist Superstar was fantastic from beginning to end. It's still one of my favorite albums when I'm in the mood for some heavy industrial sound.

I'd say the turning point was their Mechanical Animals album. I started losing interest quickly after that..

His tainted love and personal jesus covers rock….

You can't mention Manson covers without Sweet Dreams and You Spin Me Round. :)

Last edited:
Quite a collection you have there! mine is tiny, probably less than 30 Lps all said (my CD one is starting to push me outside my library though :D)
Well, back in the days there was nothing to buy but vinyl and tape. But I wouldn't call it a collection ... actually, it's a heap on the floor of a room over at my mother's place. Left all the LPs there, and the're not in a good state.
I have quite some CDs, though ... a mid four-digit number at least. And I inherited two big suitcases full of CDs when my father died a few years ago. Everything is digitized and the physical husks are stashed away in the attic.

Damn metal heads, gotta tip the balance back... ;)

I ssem to be bouncing back and forth between 2 tracks over and over.

"Charity" by An April March
and
"Destroy Me" by Marsheaux

I wouldn't call him a product of mainsteam music… at least not originally. Their earlier stuff was great, and Antichrist Superstar was fantastic from beginning to end. It's still one of my favorite albums when I'm in the mood for some heavy industrial sound.

I'd say the turning point was their Mechanical Animals album. I started losing interest quickly after that..

Perhaps you are right to make the distinction. I have not followed them from the start and only became aware of them by mainstream media when I was young and still could stomach mtv i.e. Lots of artists/bands tend to "lose their way" when the cash starts flowing in (Metallica comes to mind)…

You can't mention Manson covers without Sweet Dreams and You Spin Me Round. :)

Can't see how I failed to put Sweet Dreams in that sentence :S I like all three a lot more than their original renditions too (not often happens with covers for me)

Well, back in the days there was nothing to buy but vinyl and tape. But I wouldn't call it a collection … actually, it's a heap on the floor of a room over at my mother's place. Left all the LPs there, and the're not in a good state.
That's a waste… Ever thought of doing a Flea market? (if they are salvageable) might be worth a bit to some collector out there :)

I have quite some CDs, though … a mid four-digit number at least. And I inherited two big suitcases full of CDs when my father died a few years ago. Everything is digitized and the physical husks are stashed away in the attic.

o_o we are talking 350 tops here. But I like them were I can see them in neatly disorganized stacks ;) (Fighting for space with all the books and a few comic books sharing the shelves)

Lots of artists/bands tend to "lose their way" when the cash starts flowing in (Metallica comes to mind)
Their latest with Lou Reed is just hilarious, I really like this take on it :).

Bel Canto - Shimmering, Warm & Bright (1992)
"Progressively" poppy and, well, shimmering, warm and bright.
A pretty diverse set of songs.
Fans of Cocteau Twins or Dead Can Dance should find this enjoyable (if they haven´t already :)).
Unicorn
Waking Will
Spiderdust
Die Geschichte Einer Mutter

Moonspell, Paradise Lost
Seeing Moonspell or Paradise Lost mentioned always reminds me of Tiamat and The Gathering (and vice versa), somehow all four fall into the same ballpark for me, even though they all have quite distinct sound. Maybe it´s because they all combined metal sensibilities with some "goth-y" ones and they all creatively peaked around 95-98 from my perspective (though The Gathering had a sorta second coming later). Anyway,

Tiamat
Gaia
A Deeper Kind of Slumber

The Gathering
On Most Surfaces
In Motion #1

And now for something Completely different, Opeth Porcelain heart…
Probably redundant, but since there´s a slight chance you haven´t listened to these, I can´t resist the urge recommending Still Life and Blackwater Park because that´s Opeth at their best in my ears.
The Moor
Bleak

Also, seeing mentions of Reznor or Marilyn Manson, I can´t resist re-mentioning
Foetus - Nail (1985), I think the guy had some significant influence on both.
The album´s filled with some good decadent fun in a sorta industrial Tom Waits vein :).
The Throne of Agony

Ok, now I´m clogging the thread with stuff I´ve mostly posted already, sorry. I´ll try to come up with something cool and unheard next time :).

Last edited:
If you like orchestral music, then I can recommend the "Music Of The Spheres" by Mike Oldfield.
There is a variant of that CD out there which comes with a second CD featuring the live performance of it - which isn't that much different than the studio version, I guess.

Omg, just checked out the Lou Reed/ MEtallica collaboration effort - LOL. Wow, that's bad. Just when you think they hit the bottom… gramptallica indeed. All due respect to Lou, but he just doesnt belong. And theyre all thrashing around, intense, it's a parody, it has to be a parody, like a drunken karaoke night after bingo or something

I saw this one comment and laughed my ass off:
Jason (newstead) must be "LMAO" actually

Bobitrust95 1 day ago

Back
Top Bottom