|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » A comic that shows the truth.

Default A comic that shows the truth.

February 10th, 2012, 15:21
With the political climate and the world at large makes you think the world is going to ruin. Two People with different scenarios shared there views on how people will be controlled or made docile.

I wonder which one is happening now doesn't. Makes you worry doesn't cause its the truth everywhere you look.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2012, 15:43
Interesting proposition. I think both authors miss the boat a bit because they both ascribe sinister intent to the government. Seems to me that people will willingly hand over the keys to the nanny state (which fits both authors somewhat), but all the "evils" will be done thru the most destructive of motivators, good intentions.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 10th, 2012, 16:03
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Interesting proposition. I think both authors miss the boat a bit because they both ascribe sinister intent to the government. Seems to me that people will willingly hand over the keys to the nanny state (which fits both authors somewhat), but all the "evils" will be done thru the most destructive of motivators, good intentions.
I agree. Everywhere you look people keep asking to become a nanny state. Its not the governments job to tell you how to live. Yet people seem to want that and freely give up more freedoms for safety.

Though I fear Huxley is right the things we love will destroy us. We depend on technology to much.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2012, 20:06
All 3 books are standards here, they are all taught at school.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 15th, 2012, 14:36
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I agree. Everywhere you look people keep asking to become a nanny state. Its not the governments job to tell you how to live. Yet people seem to want that and freely give up more freedoms for safety.

Though I fear Huxley is right the things we love will destroy us. We depend on technology to much.
Ya, let's go back to the caves and eat raw meat clawed out of a deer corpse with our bare bloodstained fingers and nails while dying of disease in the great old age of 30. Wouldn't wanna depend on technology "too much" (how much is too much exactly?) now, would we.

Glyphwright

Emanation of Tranquility

February 15th, 2012, 14:51
If anything, it is the lack of advanced technology that will destroy us.

Do we have the technology to induce and sustain nuclear reactions, harvesting an abundance of energy from the fusion of hydrogen atoms, requiring no fuel beyond a steady supply of regular water? No, we still burn fossil fuels, bought from the most rotten dictatorial regimes on the planet (irony of fate).

Do we have the technology to clone edible tissues of domestic animals, providing a never-ending supply of meat that was never part of an actually living and conscious animal? No, we still have to breed billions of cows, pigs, chickens and other animals, cleaning up their shit and killing them mercilessly when they are "ripe".

Do we have a unified ubiquitous wireless information network, permanently conjoining every digital electronic device in any urban area on the planet? No, we have separate infrastructure for computers, phones, mobile phones, television, etc.

Speaking of computers, we still largely rely on rotating fairly large and vulnerable magnetic/optical disks inside bulky storage devices to store information efficiently, instead of thumb-sized flat plastic datacards with a layer of nanoscopic memory cells.

Electric cars? Regeneration of lost limbs/organs? Liquid paper? Artificial wood? Nanotechnology shrinking the size of a computing system block to negligible dimensions? Hello, we're barely out of the Stone Age.
Last edited by Glyphwright; February 15th, 2012 at 17:17.

Glyphwright

Emanation of Tranquility

February 15th, 2012, 15:44
I'm going to have to disagree with you. You seem to be part of the technophile crowd and me well I'm a technophobe to a small degree. All I see is people becoming to reliant on electronics's its pitiful.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » A comic that shows the truth.