|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pricewatch!

Default Pricewatch!

February 27th, 2012, 21:30
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Dungeons & Dragons Anthology is currently 66% off on Gamer's Gate. It contains: Baldur's Gate 1-2 (+expansions), Icewind dale 1-2 (+expansions), Planescape Torment & Temple of elemental evil.
Nice! Does anyone know if these have been fixed to run properly on XP and Win 7?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 28th, 2012, 00:10
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Nice! Does anyone know if these have been fixed to run properly on XP and Win 7?
I think it's safe to assume that any digital download game from a site like GamersGate is going to run on Windows XP. I don't know if they all run on Windows 7, but I have yet to purchase a digital title that didn't.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 28th, 2012, 00:12
The min requirements say XP or Win 7, but I'd like to hear firsthand experience. GG hasn't been the most reliable…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 28th, 2012, 00:38
Are not the original boxed versions Win7 compatible, with just a little bit of tweaking?
I'm still on XP, so I can't comment on how it is for Win7 users, but the only infinity engine that gave me any issues what so ever was the original BG, but fan patches and such fixed those issues.

By the way, just a reminder for anyone who posts Gamer's Gate links, add your own tag to it. You will get a handful of blue coins if someone buys a game through your link (info on how to do that can be found under my account->My GG tag)

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

February 28th, 2012, 01:16
Don't know as I don't have Win 7 (yet). But certainly all of the infinity engine games were badly broken on Win2K without doing things such as tweaking aspects of directx, directdraw, directsound, compatibility modes, desktop resolution and colors, etc, and even then it could be glitchy at best… In other words, a good amount of trouble. The advantages of buying these over my already boxed copes is that all that tweaking is built in. Otherwise there is no advantage to buying them (for me, at least).

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 28th, 2012, 13:44
Don't know as I don't have Win 7 (yet). But certainly all of the infinity engine games were badly broken on Win2K without doing things such as tweaking aspects of directx, directdraw, directsound, compatibility modes, desktop resolution and colors, etc, and even then it could be glitchy at bestů In other words, a good amount of trouble. The advantages of buying these over my already boxed copes is that all that tweaking is built in. Otherwise there is no advantage to buying them (for me, at least).
I never had any problem playing my boxed version of BG and BG2 on Win2k, Win XP or Win 7. The only quack was the green water, but that is easily fixed by a mod.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

February 28th, 2012, 18:56
Of course, you know, that doesn't prove anything.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 28th, 2012, 23:50
Blood bowl Legendary edition is 75% off. It is a fun tactical board game turned PC game, and it is actually really good on the PC as well.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

February 29th, 2012, 02:40
Don't know as I don't have Win 7 (yet). But certainly all of the infinity engine games were badly broken on Win2K without doing things such as tweaking aspects of directx, directdraw, directsound, compatibility modes, desktop resolution and colors, etc, and even then it could be glitchy at best… In other words, a good amount of trouble. The advantages of buying these over my already boxed copes is that all that tweaking is built in. Otherwise there is no advantage to buying them (for me, at least).
Win2K was horrible in general for gaming, so it doesn't surprise me that the IE games had issues with it.

Anyways, I'm 99% sure that compilation will run just fine on Windows 7, but if you're that concerned about it, I'd recommend just shooting an email over to GamersGate and asking them. For $7 though, it's not as if you're taking a big risk.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 29th, 2012, 02:42
So right. It is only $7. Should just do it. As should everyone else.

@GG… I want that kickback check early.

I have had terrible luck with getting any response from the GG help system on previous issues, so I have sort of given up on them for that. And yes I ask them nicely…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 29th, 2012, 20:38
Bought and downloading…. very slowly despite my 1G link. GG is averaging only 100kB/sec. At this rate it will be 3 hours… for 10 GB of content.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 1st, 2012, 05:48
FREE Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun from Fileplanet.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 1st, 2012, 13:48
The first 3 C&C games have all been free for quite a while now. They were made free to promote C&C 4 (I think). I have links to all of them in my free games thread.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

March 2nd, 2012, 08:54
Two Worlds II Velvet Edition is -50% on Steam ($19.99). You can also purchase TWII or the expansion separately with the same discount.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 2nd, 2012, 10:52
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Two Worlds II Velvet Edition is -50% on Steam ($19.99). You can also purchase TWII or the expansion separately with the same discount.
Is it worth this price in terms of:

1) is it better than dragon knight saga (rpg elements, open-world aspects)?

2) is the multiplayer any good?

3) Is the steam version reliable compared to the retail one?

Thanks

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

March 2nd, 2012, 14:00
That is weird. I went to Steam and didn't see them advertising the TWII offer (yet anyway, the offer is valid enough I see). I went the the news page and found an entry for a Dragon Age II update 1.04 but I can't see them selling DA2. Was it initially released and then pulled at some point by EA?
EDIT: Ok, google did provide an answer to this one. EA broke the steam terms by offering DLC directly to end customers and it was removed.

stealth

Sentinel

March 2nd, 2012, 14:20
Paradox is currently giving away Cities in Motion, if you answer a survey on your gaming habits:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/…et-a-free-game!

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

March 2nd, 2012, 20:35
Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines (one of the best games of all time) is currently on sale on Steam.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

March 2nd, 2012, 20:42
Also, Painkiller: Recurring Evil, and expansion to Resurrection on sale for $8. Amazing that this franchise continues to have legs after all these years!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 3rd, 2012, 06:38
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Is it worth this price in terms of:

1) is it better than dragon knight saga (rpg elements, open-world aspects)?

2) is the multiplayer any good?

3) Is the steam version reliable compared to the retail one?

Thanks
I can't really say how good TWII is because I've barely played it. Hopefully someone else here can directly compare the two games. $20 is very cheap for that bundle though. I paid $50+ for the box version a couple of months ago.

As far as reliability, my experience is that Steam downloaded games are usually just as reliable as the retail versions.

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines (one of the best games of all time) is currently on sale on Steam.
It should be illegal to sell VtM:B that cheap.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pricewatch!