|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The "I Just Bought" thread

Default The "I Just Bought" thread

March 9th, 2012, 14:52
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Just ordered the Wacom Intuos 5 Touch

will hopefully force me to do something creative (a nice side effect when spending a bit of money). Been using the Intuos 2 since it was released many years ago, been very happy with that purchase.
Nice! I'm envious. Still using my old Intuos which is the original model - it has served me very well over the years but I think its actually wearing out now. There is a dead spot where the stylus isn't registering.

I think a new Intuos 5 is in my future.
Myrkrel is offline

Myrkrel

Myrkrel's Avatar
Sentinel

#361

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 510

Default 

March 9th, 2012, 17:20
Originally Posted by Myrkrel View Post
Nice! I'm envious. Still using my old Intuos which is the original model - it has served me very well over the years but I think its actually wearing out now. There is a dead spot where the stylus isn't registering.

I think a new Intuos 5 is in my future.
The touch feature alone seems wonderful, i really like that function on my ipad.

I just hope the build quality is as good as the Intuos 2, my poor tablet must have crashed 50 times into the floor over the years, sometimes with an incredible force when its cord has been stuck to the chair etc, but it still works pefect.. I should really invest in the wireless kit later on, the cord is a real nuisance!
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#362

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,641

Default 

March 10th, 2012, 12:07
Yeah I'm amazed that my Intuos has lasted this long - the build quality must be extremely good for these old models. I've probably used it for well over 10 years now, which is a really long time in technology terms.

The touch feature on the Intuos 5 does look really useful - I can totally see panning and zooming working well with that.
Myrkrel is offline

Myrkrel

Myrkrel's Avatar
Sentinel

#363

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 510

Default 

March 14th, 2012, 19:49
Book : "Windows 7 - The technical reference" by Microsoft - for 15 Euros.
I think that's a great bargain, since the book's original price was 79 Euros.
It looks a tiny bit worn out because I think it has been the "presentation book" from the shop's bookshelf, but is still in very good shape nevertheless.
Actually my intuition was very loud and very "outspoken" in this : "Buy it ! Buy it ! You don't know if you'll ever get that chance again !"

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#364

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,987

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 02:08
So … I have this 'new iPad' thingy coming on Friday … 64GB with 4G/LTE this time around.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#365

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,435

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 07:25
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
So … I have this 'new iPad' thingy coming on Friday … 64GB with 4G/LTE this time around.
Nice, it's out tomorrow in the U.S? I thought it wasnt out until the end of the month.
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#366

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,641

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 09:39
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Nice, it's out tomorrow in the U.S? I thought it wasnt out until the end of the month.
Yep, the 16th it arrives:
Apple® today announced the new iPad®, the third generation of its category defining mobile device, will arrive at Apple’s retail stores and the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com) on Friday, March 16 at 8:00 a.m. local time in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK; along with Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
It is funny … I have had the FedEx tracking for a bit now, have known it was sitting in a FedEx facility a couple of hours away, and now just get to watch it get closer and closer for the next day!

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#367

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,435

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 10:10
Would love to hear your impressions when you get it, especially about the screen
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#368

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,641

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 11:41
i just bought a Samsung galaxy s2 and i like it very much so far
its amazing
mwe12 is offline

mwe12

Watcher

#369

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 40

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 11:44
Originally Posted by mwe12 View Post
i just bought a Samsung galaxy s2 and i like it very much so far
its amazing
Glad you are enjoying it … I have had one for a review for just over a week, and once I got over the massive (pocket unfriendly) screen, I have found one disappointment after another. Weak-sauce antenna, loads of incompatibility issues with apps - even ones the Market says SHOULD work, and the fact that it won't work to transfer files by plugging into a USB port like most phones (including my Droid 4, which is my primary phone). It is speedy and has a nice screen, but for me it is a big disappointment.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#370

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,435

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 11:48
That's a shock
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#371

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,580

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 12:14
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
That's a shock
Why?

I absolutely love my Droid 4, and actually prefer the HTC Wildfire S in many ways (which is a 'freebie' or close to it on some carriers) … I did a test with 3 devices I have on the same carrier and found that the HTC Flyer (7" tablet) had 5 bars, the HTC Wildfire S also had 5 bars … and the Galaxy S2 had 2 bars. And there was a reason I did that test - and ended up getting a second phone from the carrier just to be sure.

Admittedly I am not a huge fan of Gingerbread on larger screens - I think of it like WinXP, where it is functional but not pretty on newer devices. It is better than Honeycomb (a very low bar as HC is the 'Vista of Mobile OS'), but I think it really just isn't meant for larger screens - which is one reason I prefer the Wildfire S (3.2" screen).

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#372

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,435

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 14:22
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Glad you are enjoying it … I have had one for a review for just over a week, and once I got over the massive (pocket unfriendly) screen, I have found one disappointment after another. Weak-sauce antenna, loads of incompatibility issues with apps - even ones the Market says SHOULD work, and the fact that it won't work to transfer files by plugging into a USB port like most phones (including my Droid 4, which is my primary phone). It is speedy and has a nice screen, but for me it is a big disappointment.
I find this completely strange to me because i never had any of the aforementioned issues (thankfully) no incompatibility issues at all and i installed lots of apps also there is one method i only use to transfer files between it and the computer and ironically that is the USB cable its either you got a broken phone for the review or a used phone or something because that doesn't make any sense based on my experience with it so far, because honestly none of what you mentioned occurred to me but about the screen i think it will differ from one person to another depending on what type of phone size that person got used to. but personally its okay with me
btw i have it for a month and 1 week now.
mwe12 is offline

mwe12

Watcher

#373

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 40

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 14:36
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Why?

I absolutely love my Droid 4, and actually prefer the HTC Wildfire S in many ways (which is a 'freebie' or close to it on some carriers) … I did a test with 3 devices I have on the same carrier and found that the HTC Flyer (7" tablet) had 5 bars, the HTC Wildfire S also had 5 bars … and the Galaxy S2 had 2 bars. And there was a reason I did that test - and ended up getting a second phone from the carrier just to be sure.

Admittedly I am not a huge fan of Gingerbread on larger screens - I think of it like WinXP, where it is functional but not pretty on newer devices. It is better than Honeycomb (a very low bar as HC is the 'Vista of Mobile OS'), but I think it really just isn't meant for larger screens - which is one reason I prefer the Wildfire S (3.2" screen).
I could be wrong, but - reading between the lines - I've noted that every time the phone is brought up around here, you've been sort of… less than enthusiastic about it.

I don't personally have enough experience with enough modern smartphones - but certainly, when I researched ~8-10 smartphones a year ago, Samsung Galaxy S2 was far superior in pretty much every way. At least, in all the ways that mattered to my GF - who I was trying to help.

AFAIK, it was also named best smartphone of 2011. Which is why I find it odd that you think it's so bad.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#374

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,580

Default 

March 20th, 2012, 16:32
Iphone 4S - loving it.

Still pissed that after all this time, they STILL cannot/will not implement a simple missed call beep. Really, bug me until I acknowledge the fact that I've missed a call, it's on every dimestore cell phone I had up until my first Iphone.
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#375

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,666

Default 

March 21st, 2012, 01:53
I like my iPhone 4S, too.. Feel I barely use 1% of it, though.

Also, I just bought: 'Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga' from Amazon for $25 (placed by a british marketplace seller). It better include a printed a manual…
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#376

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

March 21st, 2012, 02:20
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I could be wrong, but - reading between the lines - I've noted that every time the phone is brought up around here, you've been sort of… less than enthusiastic about it.
I will always point out facts and background about Samsung as a company, and not about the SGSII

As for the Galaxy SII, I had heard a lot of great things, so I fell all over myself to get one for review. As I mentioned, the antenna issues were bad enough that I got a second one to be sure.

I wasn't surprised that the HTC Flyer tablet had better signal, it has a sweet antenna … but the little baby low-end HTC Wildfire S? THAT Surprised me.

I was also genuinely surprised by the incompatibilities I was seeing - as you say, this is one of the best smartphones EVER … why the heck should I not be able to use Hulu+ on it? Makes no sense … but I am not alone.

As for the mass storage, I finally figured it out - on a Mac. On my work and home PC, the security software shut down the tricks Samsung requires, so it just wouldn't work.

For context, with my Droid 4 (and Droid Pro, original Droid, HTC Flyer, HTC Wildfire, HTC 7 Pro, ACER Iconia Tab, and others), I simply plug in the cable and BAM - storage.

On the Samsung Galaxy …
- Plug in cable
- Navigate to Settings->Wireless & Networks -> USB Utilities ->Usb Storage.
- Click Turn on storage
- Remove cable because it won't work if cable is plugged in
- Click Turn on Storage
- NOW plug in cable
- Click OK
- Click Enable storage

See my point? What is this, 1995 or something?

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#377

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,435

Default 

March 21st, 2012, 05:51
I hate my Samsung Galaxy with a passion, and with any luck one of my kids will smash it to bits soon.

I want my iPhone back.
badmofo is offline

badmofo

badmofo's Avatar
Tired but happy

#378

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 364

Default 

March 21st, 2012, 07:57
I've never had any problems with my Galaxy S2, and haven't encountered any issues with the antenna or signal strength. Of course there will always be exceptions, like being in an area with poor coverage, but that's going to happen with any phone.

There are at least five different variants of the S2 though, and they're not all built the same or have the same features.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#379

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,879

Default 

March 21st, 2012, 09:51
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I've never had any problems with my Galaxy S2, and haven't encountered any issues with the antenna or signal strength. Of course there will always be exceptions, like being in an area with poor coverage, but that's going to happen with any phone.
Oh believe me I understand that (if you have seen how many phones have come through my hands, mostly for review), but having a phone give such poor data performance that you return it for new one and find the same thing? That was shocking to me. And since I had 3 devices from the same carrier at once to test - acknowledging that low signal (and 'digital roaming') were issues - it clearly IS this hardware version.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
There are at least five different variants of the S2 though, and they're not all built the same or have the same features.
Which is, to me, one of those wonderful customer-hostile Android things. If a friend tells me he loves the Galaxy S2and my carrier is now getting it - at best I should get the identical phone. At worst the case styling should be slightly altered. Anything beyond that is essentially bait and switch … sort of like how I got something that has a huge screen but is clearly inferior in some ways to 'other' S2 versions.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#380

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,435
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The "I Just Bought" thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:47.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch