|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » WHQL Nvidia drivers for skyrim

Default WHQL Nvidia drivers for skyrim

February 21st, 2012, 23:00
Nvidia has release new drivers. Claim up to 44% better frame rates in skyrim depending on your video card. Also, better ambient occlusion, sli and 3d improvements as well.

Also improvements for mass effect 3 and diablo 3. Here's a link to the list of changes. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles…ivers-released

sakichop

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2012, 15:54
Interesting, thanks. Skyrim and everything else run pretty well on my 570 already, though. Maybe I'll wait until I grab one those shiny new Keplers

Ed321

Traveler

March 19th, 2012, 16:46
I wonder : Why do there have to be new drivers each time a new game comes out ?
Shouldn't it be vice versa ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 19th, 2012, 17:00
Apparantly graphics drivers are big hack jobs which either has to work around game bugs or need tweaking to run x game with highest fps.

stealth

Sentinel

March 19th, 2012, 17:35
Interesting that it would include performance improvements for Diablo 3 three months before the game is released.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2012, 18:35
nVidia is collaborating with every dev house that wishes to collaborate with them (at times under the TWIMTBP = The Way It's Meant To Be Played marketing umbrella, too, where they sometimes even send a couple of their engineers to the dev to work with them on optimizations in-house).
nVidia will customize their drivers to some extent if and when a game requires it, sometimes even years after a game's release like when they fixed incompatibilities with Gothic via the 260.xx driver series. Nothing unusual about that, really.
And as far as Diablo 3 is concerned… with a mega release like D3 I'm sure that it's one of those cases where nVidia has dispatched a couple engineers to work closely with Blizzard to make sure the game performs 100% stable and reliable upon release.

Moriendor

Spielkind

March 19th, 2012, 20:15
Just an example of a bug is some (if not all) of the Quake engines will request which OpenGL extensions the video card supports. As time went by more and more extensions were added and the buffer to store them could no longer hold them and hence the game crashed. Drivers nowadays will detect that quake.exe is running and will limit the number of extensions reported to the game. Unfortunately this workaround is not included for all games based on id tech but it is a setting available from within the nVidia drivers. I'm sure something similar is available for AMD drivers.

stealth

Sentinel

March 20th, 2012, 01:46
What really surprises me is they are still supporting clear back to the 6000 series. Those were about six years back, weren't they??

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » WHQL Nvidia drivers for skyrim