|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Goodbye Commodore Jack

Default Goodbye Commodore Jack

April 11th, 2012, 00:55
Jack Tamriel, founder of Commodore International and Polish Holocaust survivor died at the age of 83 on Sunday.

http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/pc-…r-jack-tramiel

When Jack left the company he bought the remaining assets of Atari from Warner. With that they developed the Atari ST to compete directly with his old company's Amiga.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

April 11th, 2012, 05:38
Oh! Sorry to hear that. I loved my Atari ST. Heck, it might even still be around here somewhere.

So did TOS really stand for Tramiel Operating System?

P.S. Tamriel would be the name of the empire in Elder Scrolls. Hmmm…. sure is close, isn't it? Coincidence?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 11th, 2012, 11:39
It would be a very fitting thing, because the C64 really started home video gaming, imho.
Apart from the consoles.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 11th, 2012, 17:04
The local library had a C64 and we used to double book its use during the day using false names and even push the other kids off it. heh.

One kid I knew when he dropped out of high school spent all his free time on the thing. I don't think he learned much about computers though.

Really, I'm surprised he left Tamriel left the company during the Amiga days. Maybe its why I didn't know the Amiga wa a Commodore machine for years.

I have both now. An Atari ST and an Amiga, but they've been sitting at my friends apartment for 10 years and he's 1200 miles away.

I seem to recall one of the Ultimas is best played on the Atari ST but the copy I've found floating around the internets seems to have corrupted during compression.

Lucky Day

Daywatch

April 11th, 2012, 18:45
I still have an old C64 … thank you and rest in peace Mr. Tamriel.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

April 17th, 2012, 10:03
oh, I didn't know.
i used to love commodore; i had a vic20, a c=64 and an amiga 500 (this last is still in my fathers' basement many km and years from me).
each one of them was clearly superior to their counterparts of the time (zx81, spectrum, msx, atari st, and in some aspects even to ibm xt/at and motorola macs, which both survived).
also great rpg on them (gold box, dungeon master, etc).

R.I.P. Tramiel and Commodore.

andreadandrea

Watcher

April 17th, 2012, 20:22
as much as we dissed the things (such as one of the early great txt files 101 uses for a commodore 64: #85, take the lid off and use it for a litter box for your cat) it was the Model T of computers.

It wasn't as sensible as the Apple ][ but it was mostly open. The only real bad thing was they weren't professional (looking) and the disk drive cost more than the computer. Still: did it not make more sense to put the DOS on the drive than to take up storage? It did make sense not to claim you had 64k when a chunk of that was taken up by the stinking ROM!

I recall the C64 was the only PC that offered color fonts for their BBS software. The addition of 3 channel sound built in was a huge plus over their competitors. I've been told the guts of the thing were convoluted though, if you wanted to write software.

Lucky Day

Daywatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Goodbye Commodore Jack