|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Ultima Underworld - Retrospective @ Rampant Coyote

Default Ultima Underworld - Retrospective @ Rampant Coyote

April 11th, 2012, 23:14
The 20th Anniversary of Ultima Underworld was apparently in March just gone and Jay Barnson muses on what made this game so special, beyond the 3D movement:
* Ultima Underworld had what is still one of the best auto-maps of all time. While the features stood out, the walls and parchment background looked like it belonged. And your ability to write (and erase) directly on the map, anywhere, was a big deal. Actually, it still is. It’s fortunately more commonly matched in the modern era than it once was, but I don’t think it has been surpassed. I’m not sure what you’d do to surpass it, to be honest.
* A dynamic music system. Many games at the time would switch between combat and exploration music, but the music in Ultima Underworld was even more situational, and was designed to (almost) seamlessly transition between themes as you transitioned between states. The UU music remains on my inspirational music playlist.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 11th, 2012, 23:14
After U7 The Black Gate, this is my 2nd favorite game of all time. I recently bought it from Gog.com and plan to make a full playthrough. I played it to completion when it came out back in the early 90s but only played it one time. Should be fun to play it again as it will feel like 'new' again.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

April 12th, 2012, 01:14
I gave it a spin a couple of weeks ago and completed the first 6 levels (of 8), but since level 7 is the no magic level and I'm a mage, I decided to play UU2 again instead and got half way through that one as well. It was a great value bundle from GOG.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

April 12th, 2012, 03:06
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I gave it a spin a couple of weeks ago and completed the first 6 levels (of 8), but since level 7 is the no magic level and I'm a mage, I decided to play UU2 again instead and got half way through that one as well. It was a great value bundle from GOG.
What stopped you from finishing either game?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

April 12th, 2012, 04:25
I have to agree with MadGamer… out of the hundreds of games I've played,
#1 Ultima 7, #2 Ultima Underworld, #3 System Shock.
I remember Richard Garriott saying that future Ultimas would blend the traditional 2D iso world with 3D Underworld dungeons… but thanks to the evil Guardian (EA) the two engine game concept was scrapped.

Vindicator

Watchdog

April 12th, 2012, 04:25
I'm replaying them, UU2 for the 4th time so I simply switched games. I'll get back to them eventually, but I have heaps of unfinished replays on my task bar!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

April 12th, 2012, 06:13
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
…but thanks to the evil Guardian (EA) the two engine game concept was scrapped.
I remember how excited I was for U8 to come out. I even bought a brand new Pentium 1 60MHZ computer just to play it on.

After playing U8, it started dawning on me must what it meant for Origin to sell itself to EA.

Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I'm replaying them, UU2 for the 4th time so I simply switched games. I'll get back to them eventually, but I have heaps of unfinished replays on my task bar!!
Ah. I suppose I'm in the same boat. But I hate to stop playing a game before I'm finished all the way. It's like stopping pee-ing before you're done.

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

April 12th, 2012, 11:05
What games have better combat and gameplay. The two underworlds or elder scrolls 1 and 2? I can't decide which serries to complete for the first time. also, any of you tried ultimate underworld on the iPad 1 view iDos? It runs like crap. I imagine it wass that bad in 19922 unless you had a top of the line rig back then? How's did you guys bear?

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Ultima Underworld - Retrospective @ Rampant Coyote