|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Teaser Image

Default Bethesda Softworks - Teaser Image

April 17th, 2012, 17:18
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
I so dig the visual style of this. On the other hand I really dislike games that cast me as a killer. Will have to see what wins out.
In what RPG are you not a killer?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,468

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 17:21
No matter what it is, I bet we'd all vote on Fallout 4. As it'd come not a minute too soon.

Everything else fades compared to it…
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#22

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,101

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 17:23
I'd prefer a Skyrim expansion, actually

That, or an RPG Future Shock!
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#23

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,468

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 17:23
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
In what RPG are you not a killer?
In Age of Decadence! (If you so choose)

Well, i see your point, but there is (for me) a difference - in a standard RPG and even most shooters I have a mission, and unfortunately people and creatures (lots of people and creatures, I know, I know…) get in the way. But it's all good, I am saving the world, or doing something else that's important! If I am cast as a killer, I go for no other reason but to Kill.
I don't mean to claim no moral high ground here, it's just something I am uncomfortable with. Haven't played Hitman and Assassins Creed for this reason, e.g..
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,482

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 17:29
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
In Age of Decadence! (If you so choose)

Well, i see your point, but there is (for me) a difference - in a standard RPG and even most shooters I have a mission, and unfortunately people and creatures (lots of people and creatures, I know, I know…) get in the way. But it's all good, I am saving the world, or doing something else that's important! If I am cast as a killer, I go for no other reason but to Kill.
I don't mean to claim no moral high ground here, it's just something I am uncomfortable with. Haven't played Hitman and Assassins Creed for this reason, e.g..
I understand perfectly, I was just teasing

For whatever obscure reason, I can never play an "evil" character if the game allows for such a specific path (like in Bioware games) - and yet I absolutely adore the assassin type gameplay.

So, in TES games - I go for the honorable assassin with a "flexible" morality. But I always go for the "goodie" dialogues.

Assassin's Creed gives you several good excuses to kill, so that's not an issue for me.

I don't like the Hitman games.

That said, it's all escapist fantasy
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,468

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 17:51
I can't play evil either. I've played the dark path once in MM7 and I've finished that game dozens of times. I can't remember playing evil in anything else at all. I don't even know what dishonored is about. It didn't look fantasy so it hasn't been on my radar.

'nut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 3,726

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 18:40
So a steampunk Assassin's Creed + Batman. Interesting.
Bedwyr is offline

Bedwyr

Sentinel

#27

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 19:26
One more who have never managed to play evil.

I just cant do it.
I can manage some renegade moves now and then, but that's about it.

OnT
Curious about the game.

C

need a fix of more non-fantasy adventures
Crilloan is offline

Crilloan

Sentinel

#28

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WGS84 Latitud:59.85 Longitud:17.65
Posts: 359

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 21:48
Yeah looks interesting, but not really excited playing another Assassin/Batman character. C'mon guys, try to be a little creative. :/
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#29

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,991

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 22:11
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Yeah looks interesting, but not really excited playing another Assassin/Batman character. C'mon guys, try to be a little creative. :/
I can't think of a single game that is like this one. The closest games that Dishonored resembles thus far is a mix of Thief, Dark Messiah, and Deus Ex for gameplay and a bit of Arcanum/steampunk areas of Thief for atmosphere and abilities. There aren't any games that are like this, so I can't fathom how this isn't "creative." If you distill any game down to it's extremely basic elements - in this case, you play an assassin - then nothing counts as "original." It's what the developers do with this extremely basic core concept and how they flesh it out that counts, and the little that has been shown so far seems to be like nothing that I've ever seen before, save for the small resemblance to Thief - which on its own is a creative gameplay style that has been sorely underused over the years.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#30

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 839

Default 

April 17th, 2012, 23:12
I can't think of a game like this one except like Thief, Assasin's Creed, and Batman. Geee. Uh herp derp….
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#31

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,991

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 00:15
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I can't think of a game like this one except like Thief, Assasin's Creed, and Batman. Geee. Uh herp derp….
Again, you're boiling it down to extremely basic and tenuous connections to other games. The gameplay and setting appears to be almost NOTHING like the games you mentioned. Assassin's Creed doesn't even have a real stealth system and is an action-platforming game, Batman is an action game with a few stealth sequences that, unlike Dishonored, take place across very linear and scripted levels, and it doesn't look like a Thief clone - the only game mentioned that does indeed have meaningful similarities to Dishonored. Hitman comes to mind as an assassin-based storyline, but that's more of a puzzle/adventure-game than a "true" stealth/assassination experience. You clearly are being unfair.

Besides, I didn't realize that because, oh gee, an extremely small number of games employ stealth and assassination storylines means that no one else can use it, regardless of how creative the other elements surrounding this basic idea are. This isn't an FPS or yet another generic fantasy setting, it's a genre, atmosphere, and gameplay style that is very rarely catered to.

Let's have some fun with your unfair line of thinking, shall we?

Fallout - nope, not creative; it's a post-apacolyptic RPG, and Wasteland already did that!

Baldur's Gate series - It uses D&D, a license that had already been used to death for tabletop and computer-based RPGs, and the story involves yet another chosen one and evil wizard - not creative!

Gothic/Risen - nope, Elder Scrolls already did an open-world RPG, and the world simulation elements were done before in the Ultima series.

Arx Fatalis - Ultima Underworld!
Deus Ex - System Shock!

Any new RPG with a fantasy setting - any old RPG that came before and used a fantasy setting

Literally every game ever created carries with it ideas and inspiration taken from projects that influenced the creators. Besides, it's not like there's a wealth of stealth-based games out there (in fact the genre is all but extinct) and there has yet to be another game that measures up to the type of open-ended experience found in either the Thief or Deus Ex series. Combine the inspiration taken from those games - and the studios' own previous titles - along with a very unique steampunk setting, and you have a game oozing with creativity and originality. Anyone who can't see that is utterly blind. Whether it's any good or not is yet to be seen, but Dishonored clearly stands out from the crowd when it comes to creativity.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#32

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 839

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 01:20
Sorry the gameplay looks just like Assasin's Creed + Batman. Lots of words is not convincing. Boil it down to 2 sentences. If you can't, then your argument sucks.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#33

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,991

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 01:23
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Sorry the gameplay looks just like Assasin's Creed + Batman.
Where have you seen gameplay footage for Dishonored?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,830

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 02:08
Well, assuming you do the things shown in the cinematics. The details aren't important for me to lose interest. AC style parkor, stealth kills, blade slashing, anything new there? Playing an assassin is getting to be too routine, for me at least …
Last edited by Thrasher; April 18th, 2012 at 22:49.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#35

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,991

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 02:26
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Sorry the gameplay looks just like Assasin's Creed + Batman. Lots of words is not convincing. Boil it down to 2 sentences. If you can't, then your argument sucks.
Assassins creed + batman. Sounds good to me.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#36

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,178

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 04:21
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Sorry the gameplay looks just like Assasin's Creed + Batman. Lots of words is not convincing. Boil it down to 2 sentences. If you can't, then your argument sucks.
The gameplay is actually similar to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but with an open world and more solution to missions. It also have a Half-life 2 meet Steampunk setting (same art director).
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#37

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,514

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 05:41
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Sorry the gameplay looks just like Assassin's Creed + Batman.
Ok, let me be simple for you then:

Assassin's Creed: A lot of platforming from a 3rd-person perspective. No true stealth/sneaking system, only fighting. No multiple solutions to resolve quests - just do what the game forces you to do.

Batman: A very-well made action game(s) but with extremely linear level design and scripted sequences. Rather than have a choice, you are forced to either be stealthy or take an all-out combat route based on what the game is forcing you to do at the time, with very clearly defined stealth and action sequences.

From what has been revealed about Dishonored, it won't be like either of the above. The atmosphere also seems to be highly unique. What exactly isn't creative here?

And Assassin characters are played out? Based on what? The fact that only a few games have ever used such a premise? It's actually a seldom used plot device, and one that is very refreshing compared to the usual "hero with a destiny" or "born with magical powers unseen for a thousand years" or "fulfill the ancient prophecy" ideas.


Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Lots of words is not convincing. Boil it down to 2 sentences. If you can't, then your argument sucks.
There's just so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start…so a good argument is one that isn't fleshed out or articulated at all? You must hate reading books .
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#38

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 839

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 07:49
Nice cgi

I get an intense feeling of Deja vu with this one. Another showy, fun and forgettable action game out of Arkane? (But now instead of using source the game just looks like HL2 ) At least I hope the writing is a bit better this time…

Somebody wake me up when they finally decide to make Arx 2
(I'll try to keep an open mind of course, but a demo would be nice.)
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#39

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

April 18th, 2012, 12:13
I don't like the art direction of the game, and I've yet to see anything except a STRONG desire to "stand out" and be noticed - without actually standing out all that much in terms of core gameplay.

Very much like Bioshock/Bioshock Infinite.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,468
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Teaser Image
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:26.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch