|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kickstarter - Dark Meridian

Default Kickstarter - Dark Meridian

April 29th, 2012, 11:46
I've created a category for Kickstarter, since we now get a couple of press releases a week for projects - though most of them are outside the genres we cover.
Dark Meridian is probably outside our coverage but here's one post to gauge the interest. They are seeking $150k and seem to have a fair amount of the game completed:
Dark Meridian is an exciting new fusion of RTS, RPG, and 3rd person shooter. It gives you a persistent RPG-like character with attributes, skill trees, and equipment, and lets you take that character into battle as a fighter, a squad leader, and a commander.
Characters gain levels and are given points that can be used to increase their abilities and attributes. Weapons and armor are awarded to players according to their actions in each battle. How you play and the choices you make when leveling your character will allow you to build a character that best fits your play style, whether that be a hand-to-hand fighter, a ranged marksman, an arcane mage, an efficient commander, or some combination of those.
Players can choose to be in the midst of battle as a combatant and squad leader or they can act as a commander, building their town and defenses. Players are free to switch between commander and combatant as the battle dictates. It is up to the commander to place buildings, decide which technologies to research and which units to recruit. As a combatant, players join the battle from a close 3rd person perspective; they can ride mounts, man siege engines, and command a small squad of AI characters.
The game is built around multiplayer team based play along with single player and cooperative play against AI. Matches are highly customizable, allowing up to four teams with any combination of AI and/or human squad leaders and commanders. There are numerous options to customize a match, including an open world map system that allows for thousands of possible map variations.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 29th, 2012, 11:46
The graphic design is not bad, but I hate the game design, mashing 3 things together just gives you more room for failure, and I'm really not in the mood for another medieval-fantasy game

borcanu

muist

April 29th, 2012, 13:04
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I've created a category for Kickstarter, since we now get a couple of press releases a week for projects - though most of them are outside the genres we cover.
Dark Meridian is probably outside our coverage but here's one post to gauge the interest. They are seeking $150k and seem to have a fair amount of the game completed:
More information.
The Kickstarter-Page says $250k.

Looks way to overambitious, don't see how this can be more than a playground that gets boring too quickly, but I'm simply very sceptic when it comes to such genre unifying titles.

I stab your brain with your nosebone

Monolith

Codex visiting

April 29th, 2012, 13:18
When this Kickstarter movement occurs, I saw it as a way for return of old RPG gameplay. But all we see is some weird hybrids, which are RPG, RTS, FPS, action, bla bla at the same time. What I want is pure RPGs and I'm not going to pledge any more money until real RPG projects emerge. Too bad Tortured Hearts (pure RPG) can't reach its goal, but they won't give up and try to make a demo for more stronger Kickstarter campaign. It seems I'm going to keep my money for Dead State and I'm considering of increasing my pledge to Grim Dawn.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

April 29th, 2012, 13:33
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
The Kickstarter-Page says $250k.
Thanks - corrected on the front page.

Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
When this Kickstarter movement occurs, I saw it as a way for return of old RPG gameplay. But all we see is some weird hybrids, which are RPG, RTS, FPS, action, bla bla at the same time. What I want is pure RPGs and I'm not going to pledge any more money until real RPG projects emerge. Too bad Tortured Hearts (pure RPG) can't reach its goal, but they won't give up and try to make a demo for more stronger Kickstarter campaign. It seems I'm going to keep my money for Dead State and I'm considering of increasing my pledge to Grim Dawn.
I don't disagree, though you'll note readers were interested in Legends of Eisenwald. I'm trying to weed out the completely-not-our-thing ones and watch the level of interest in others.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 29th, 2012, 15:47
I don't know…I pledged to FTL which I played a demo for which was a cool spaceship roguelike…I guess seeing any interesting kickstarter projects is cool for me. I just paid my amount to shadowrun returns.

I'm not sure being all exclusive old school rpg thing is the right way to go.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

April 30th, 2012, 15:15
Hmm not sure I fancy this.

Legends of Eisenwald is a go though.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

April 30th, 2012, 15:33
Any developer that describes his game as 'ground-breaking' and 'the next evolution in gameplay' before it's even completed has already shot himself in the foot as far as I'm concerned.

And seriously 250,000? It makes me wonder how these people ever managed to make games two months ago.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

April 30th, 2012, 18:25
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
Any developer that describes his game as 'ground-breaking' and 'the next evolution in gameplay' before it's even completed has already shot himself in the foot as far as I'm concerned.

And seriously 250,000? It makes me wonder how these people ever managed to make games two months ago.
I have to agree, the language turned me off as well. Also, it's hard to tell, when seeing early (yet publicly presented) footage like this, if they are actually happy with some systems, or if everything is on the table for improvement. For example, the way that the character fired off those spells(?) reminded me of the stilted mechanics of Sacred 2, where the character physics was more like Combat, for the Atari 2600, than it was, say, D3's barbarian… doing anything (whatever D3's other failings, they did get that right).

Santos

Ass-hat

April 30th, 2012, 19:03
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Hmm not sure I fancy this.

Legends of Eisenwald is a go though.

Daniel.
I finally bit and funded LoE as well. I saw the Disciples II comparisons, played some Disciples II, then bit.

That makes.. 6 Kickstarter games for me: Double Fine's adventure (just did it because it seemed like a cheap ticket for a big event), Wasteland 2 (I dropped 100 dollars on this.. everything else gets 15), FTL, Banner Saga, Shadowrun, and Eisenwald.

killias2

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kickstarter - Dark Meridian