|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » How Valve runs its business

Default How Valve runs its business

May 1st, 2012, 19:02
Thought this was pretty interesting. Definitely a different structure for sure.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles…es-at-valve#p1

http://www.businessweek.com/articles…-la-of-offices

The Good
There are no managers or bosses at Valve. Even Valve co-founder Gabe Newell isn’t directly in charge of anyone. “Of all the people at this company who aren’t your boss, Gabe is the MOST not your boss, if you get what we’re saying,” the handbook says. Every Valve employee has hiring capabilities, as well as the power to greenlight an idea. Employees are encouraged to work on their own projects and jump on any others that interest them. It’s basically the Montessori version of running a company. Somehow, this results in completed projects and top-notch video games.

Valve has a company gym, company massage rooms, and free Stumptown coffee. Employees are not expected to work overtime. And once a year, the company takes all its employees and their families on a “tropical” vacation.

The Bad
Discarding weak links. Because there’s no hierarchical structure, Valve admits that “a poor hiring decision can cause lots of damage, and can sometimes go unchecked for too long.” But the company adds, “Ultimately, people who cause damage always get weeded out.” The handbook also admits that the lack of structure makes it hard for people to develop mentors.
I thought this was hilarious:

Rock music and hair metal are played in the company bathrooms. “You’ll never be able to relieve yourself again unless someone hums Rock You Like a Hurricane,” Valve says.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

May 1st, 2012, 19:35
Rock music and hair metal are played in the company bathrooms. “You’ll never be able to relieve yourself again unless someone hums Rock You Like a Hurricane,” Valve says.
Hair metal?? Yeeech!!!!

pibbur who had to put on A Sight to Behold (Gojira). because of this. AND Oroborous (Gojira)..

P.: Interesting read, btw. DS.

.. several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave.

We are Pibbur! We are not to be taken seriously!

pibbur2012

speaker to ..

May 1st, 2012, 22:30
good read. also theres was a good interview with a chap from kickstarter yesterday. probably a good read/listen for all those who've thrown in their two cents on the matter but by posting it here it will problably draw a calmer less vitriolic response…who knows.
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/bu…al-network-age

—-when we figure out how to build guillotines for corporations the new revolution will have begun—-

curious

liberty or license

May 2nd, 2012, 04:39
Cool office.

Seriously though.. whatever happened to Episode 3 of Half-Life 2? I've lost a lot of respect for Valve because of that. They've seemingly abandoned the franchise that made them who they are.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 2nd, 2012, 12:29
Well, if you read the article there is no boss to make sure it gets released……

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

May 2nd, 2012, 13:02
I'd be the first to support a work environment like that, but I can't say I'm impressed by the result.

I liked Half Life a lot - and I thought Half Life 2 was technically amazing. However, that's the last game from Valve that I thought was worthy of much attention.

They do know how to earn money, though, so if you're into that sort of thing - I suppose they're getting something in return for a flat structure.

But I can't help but imagine what kind of game could be made with that kind of resources, and that kind of creative freedom. I can only conclude that the people working there aren't particularly ambitious when it comes to design evolution.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 5th, 2012, 16:52
Sounds like a great place to work!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » How Valve runs its business