|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity Original Sin » Divinity III Revealed ?

Default Divinity III Revealed ?

May 17th, 2012, 14:13
There's a teaser video on their web page right now : http://www.larian.com/
Their YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/LarianStudios

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 17th, 2012, 15:14
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
For me, hack & slay = Action-RPGs.

Because there just don't exist any other Action-RPGs which contain anything else than just hack & slay.

"Social interaction Action-RPG" ? No, impossible.
Just out of curiosity. How would you define the following RPGs?

- Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
- The Witcher
- Alpha Protocol
- Fallout: New Vegas

They all have real-time action-like combat yet their strengths lie in the interaction with NPCs.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

May 17th, 2012, 15:58
There's a teaser video on their web page right now : http://www.larian.com/
Their YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/LarianStudios
Hmm two years then it's no doubt it will be a divinity game. Thanks for the link Alrik.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 17th, 2012, 17:29
That was really lame, even for a teaser.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 17th, 2012, 18:41
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
Just out of curiosity. How would you define the following RPGs?

- Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
- The Witcher
- Alpha Protocol
- Fallout: New Vegas

They all have real-time action-like combat yet their strengths lie in the interaction with NPCs.
I haven't played them, because they aren't my favourite genres … To me, they are not Action-RPGs (despite what all press releases say, just don't trust them, because of the overwhelming success of the Action-RPG genre invented by Blizzard EVERY game nowadays HAS to be "action"-related, at least in the press release), because they contain meaningful social interaction.

Just compare the amount of social interaction weighed against the amount of hacking and slashing through myriads of monsters from Blizzard's D2 or from Sacred with the amount of social interaction weighed against combat in Drakensang 2, for example.

I think I remember that even Trine 2 was advertised as an Action-RPG.
I don't know who had this idea, but just use "Trine action RPG" as keywords in google, and you'll come up with several hits saying that Trine 2 is either an "action/RPG" or that it is "NOT an action/RPG".

The original Trine game also became infamous by being marketed here in Germany by Ascaron (Publishers of Sacred) at Amazon as being sold "uncut".

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 17th, 2012, 19:26
I haven't played them, because they aren't my favourite genres … To me, they are not Action-RPGs (despite what all press releases say, just don't trust them, because of the overwhelming success of the Action-RPG genre invented by Blizzard EVERY game nowadays HAS to be "action"-related, at least in the press release), because they contain meaningful social interaction.

Just compare the amount of social interaction weighed against the amount of hacking and slashing through myriads of monsters from Blizzard's D2 or from Sacred with the amount of social interaction weighed against combat in Drakensang 2, for example.

I think I remember that even Trine 2 was advertised as an Action-RPG.
I don't know who had this idea, but just use "Trine action RPG" as keywords in google, and you'll come up with several hits saying that Trine 2 is either an "action/RPG" or that it is "NOT an action/RPG".

The original Trine game also became infamous by being marketed here in Germany by Ascaron (Publishers of Sacred) at Amazon as being sold "uncut".
You are one of the regular posters on this board and you have made it very clear on many occasions that you are not happy with the current state of RPGs. You especially criticize the focus on "action" and the lack of "social interaction".

However, it has also become apparent that you haven't played many of the RPGs of the last years, which strikes me as odd since you tend to have strong opinions regarding most of them and even dare to make absolute statements.

It is true that current gameplay mechanics often tend to be action oriented but you cannot claim that social interactions are nowadays left out by default and that hack 'n slashing is the norm. I think that you are getting too comfortable in reinforcing your own cynical views.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

May 17th, 2012, 19:32
Well Alrik limits himself to fantasy roleplaying only, and quite frankly, it's the weakest setting currently having social roleplaying aspects. I would prefer more social roleplaying in a fantasy setting, too.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 17th, 2012, 19:47
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Well Alrik limits himself to fantasy roleplaying only, and quite frankly, it's the weakest setting currently having social roleplaying aspects. I would prefer more social roleplaying in a fantasy setting, too.
But his statements do not reflect this directly as he seems to refer to the entire RPG genre in which case many of his complaints are unjustified IMO.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

May 17th, 2012, 19:48
What exactly do you mean by "social roleplaying"?

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 17th, 2012, 20:04
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
But his statements do not reflect this directly as he seems to refer to the entire RPG genre in which case many of his complaints are unjustified IMO.
I know. They are overstatements, without a doubt. Just trying to let you know where he is coming from.

Social roleplaying, to me, is being able to talk your way through quests, or gain different non-actiony solutions to quests according to your relationships with NPCs or factions. This is different than just killing, running, jumping, hacking, etc.. your way to your quest objective.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity Original Sin » Divinity III Revealed ?