Gothic 2 [Mod] Vurt's Gothic II Texture Pack

My good man, that is pretty impressive.
For a moment I thought I was looking at screens of G3.

Ok i might have found the problem, one of the meshes were in fact so large that it became invisible. I must have put in 100 for size instead of 1 or something when exporting it, most probably causing some collision and performance problems.

Yep, you nailed it. Performance in khorinis is mostly up to standards. Very nice.

Is there a possibility of a similar problem when looking towards that island off the harbor ? FPS drops to 30- there and the same if I climb the cliffs above Khorinis and look at that direction... (they climb back to 50 when looking at the sea but not towards that direction, from the cliffs, next to the lighthouse i.e.)

That problem most likely has to do with this:

w09i1.jpg

The Island is full of those trees that happens to be quite poly-heavy :/

I can't do much about it other than editing the level itself or make a more performance friendly version of that tree (it's also used in Valley of Mines a lot).

Hmm yeah, I noticed those on the beach from the cliffs too. Well, no biggee for me.
I can do with with 30 fps for a miniscule portion of the game. ;)

(also that explains the modest but playable performance on the valley too. Others with more modest rigs though, may wanna chime in here)

My pleasure I assure you ;)

(besides, its the least I can do to help for something that will significantly improve my enjoyment on my next playthrough)

I'll devote some serious time to it again next Friday night-weekend.
(It has come to my attention that I did not check out Jharkendar, probably because I had no save there but it is easy to rectify that)

Finally got around to trying it last night.

I think it looks very, very good. I didn't have any existing saves, so I only got to check out the area around Xardas' Tower and Lobart's Farm.

Performance is a little rough for me, but I noticed that even the vanilla game was somewhat sluggish for me in Win7 64. I think there's something wrong with my installation.

I noticed some minor flickering in the sky sometimes, although I think it was only at night. I also found myself getting stuck against the branches of some of the newer trees in heavily foliated areas. This happened a lot in the valley where Lester is.

Off Topic: Anyone have any problem with the game and mouse control?

No issues with my Logitech Performance MX, but the camera certainly takes some getting used to after playing Gothic 3 lately. Something about the way the camera pans in Gothic 1&2 always makes me feel slightly disoriented and even a little nauseous if I haven't played them in awhile.

Last edited:
Well, there is a zSmoothMouse value you may wanna fiddle with if you plan a replay in the foreseeable future. I may have to do it myself sometime, because although I fixed my turning problem with zMouseRotationScale, the control is indeed a bit dodgier with that + the new mouse than it was...

And yes Gothic 1/2 always had that strange "laggy" turn of the camera, but you indeed get used to it after a while ;)

I got the camera working pretty good, it was a bit laggy and slow at first, had to up the mouse acceleration quite a bit on my Logitech G9. You can also turn off mouse smoothing in the .ini i believe, and also change the turn speed (i upped this a bit). Havent played around with it that much since i'm not really playing yet.

Here's a preview of next version, shows the new water and some other things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKARfclzpC8

Well, I used up my free time this weekend getting a modest aftermarket cooler and pushing my cpu to 4Ghz so I'll continue having fun with this when you put up the new version… Now with more fps ;)

P.S Like the new water (the old one was pretty good too though)

Hi all,
i have gothic II NoftR version 2.6, copy the file into the folder, start the game and it's still the old graphic. can someone help me?

Here's a preview of next version, shows the new water and some other things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKARfclzpC8

Very impressive :) . One of these days -probably not too soon though given the slow progress on Gothic Reloaded but anyway- I'm going to replay the entire Gothic saga with Gothic Reloaded, then your mod for Gothic 2 once it is completed and Gothic 3 with its community patches.

Hmm, I did test 0.4a briefly again (it occurred to me that I hadn't after the overclock) and leaving aside the weird and unexpected (30 fps jumping to 60 which does not follow for a 20% overclock) I get a crash at the valley of mines outside the castle. If I reproduce it with version 0.4 too (to be certain I did not change something myself i.e in the ini) I'll post screens from the spot (hopefully tonight or tomorrow at the latest).

Edit: Nope all versions crash on the valley of mines all of a sudden. Still not sure what I messed up...

Last edited:
Just saw this in Vurt's thread @WoG.

bbzj2.jpg

Incredible.

JonNik: i'll look into that, i think i've had some crashes there too.

Kostaz:
After playing skyrim most mountains looks a bit puny in comparison, so i had to beef it up a little :D

some more recent screens (and yes, i love spamming screenshots):

Retextured farm
Was up?
Overview

Last edited:
JonNik: i'll look into that, i think i've had some crashes there too.

Funny thing is I didn't crash there before… I did reinstall a different version though (the english one) and may have not tried a valley save. It shouldn't be different ofcourse…
Only other thing changed were drivers… Will try to reinstall the german version during the weekend (I prefer the voice acting there but it seems that I misplaced the dat files from the english translation :-/) on the off chance…

P.S: Great looking mountains, indeed.

Last edited:
JoNik: Let me know how it goes. Remember to uncheck my mod (rename it to .vdf.disabled or something) at see if it still crashes. The mod is quite demanding because of the much higher poly count, so i would not recommend using zhiqualityrender from the console (it crashes my game). zfogzone can work, but even that will be too much for most computers, at least with the next version of this mod..

From experience i've noticed that sometimes trees are missing if you arent starting a new game, so it seems like this mod works best starting from scratch and not from old saves.

Next release version will be v0.6 and it will contain substantial changes, like new mountains (with either improved uv-mapping, some completely resculpted), various groundcover, new trees, new rocks and waterfalls. I've also figured out how to animate everything, so that i can for example improve the very static looking rye fields.

It might take a while though (approx 2 weeks to a month).

JoNik: Let me know how it goes. Remember to uncheck my mod (rename it to .vdf.disabled or something) at see if it still crashes.

Ofcourse I did, or so I thought, because I loaded another (different) save and did crash without the mod :( Reverted drivers, same thing... No idea if it is some incompatibility with the old saves or something but I think I am done trying to troubleshoot it...

The game is stable enough to have a peek at your mod when you release the next version anyway... Any console command that gives you invisibility like G3 (so I can move around freely without having to resort to older saves) btw ? If I can do something like that I'll start a new game to get that variable out of the way...

Did you remember to tweak the .ini after reinstalling?

zTexCacheOutTimeMSec=5120000
zTexCacheSizeMaxBytes=512000000
zSndCacheOutTimeMSec=10000
zSndCacheSizeMaxBytes=20000000

That's what i use.

I dont think there's a invisibility cheat. There's supposed to be a "invisible" console command but it doesnt work for me, maybe it's been removed in the later revisions of the .exe.

Back
Top Bottom