|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Default RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

May 28th, 2012, 22:37
Larian Studios is working on a new Divinity game, which we had the opportunity to see. A game that brings us back to playing style we know from the original Divine Divinity - but with a few surprises…who would have expected a turn-based Divinity game?
A few weeks ago I was invited by Swen Vincke to visit Larian Studios and have a look at both Dragon Commander and their newDivinity game. I did not want to let that opportunity pass, so a week later I drove to their studio in Gent (Belgium). I didn’t go their unprepared but came with a list of question about Divinity 3, like what improvements were made to dragon flight, if the dragon had ground combat, if the game would go in the same direction as its predecessor or be less of an action game and many questions more. A list I quickly found out was useless as they are not makingDivinity 3; they are making Divinity: Original Sin - a prequel toDivine Divinity - a game that inherits everything that was good from the first Divinity, adds a lot of new features to enhance it even further and is Swen's hope to getting his Ultima VII vibe back. It was quite an amazing experience.
Read it all here.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2012, 22:37
Awesome news…

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2012, 22:40
Yes, sounds great.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2012, 22:43
This is the best news I have had since the WL2 kickstarter. I loved the original DD and the only thing that would have made it better would have been TB combat.

quasimodo

Watcher

May 28th, 2012, 22:46
Another one to keep my eyes on. I need more eyes.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 28th, 2012, 22:55
The game looks to be fantastic. There are a few games that touch on the 'U7 vibe' such as Gothic 1 & 2 and Arx Fatalis. But this game looks like it could be a direct hit. Can't wait to learn more about it and eventually play it. Thanks for the fantastic article - it touched on everything I wanted to know about the game as it exists at this point.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

May 28th, 2012, 23:01
Wow!!!!!

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

May 28th, 2012, 23:03
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Ok… I'm officially excited now.
Same here.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2012, 23:08
I'm in!

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

May 28th, 2012, 23:22
Great news! I love the first DD.
Larian is preparing a great game.
Graphics looks great and a little bit reminds me of Kings Bounty style

Black Rune

Watcher

May 28th, 2012, 23:23
I had always hoped for some banter between a man and a woman in an RPG …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 28th, 2012, 23:28
It sounds interesting, but I'd like to know how some of the systems work in single-player, like the dialogue.

Still, turn-based combat is a big plus, I can't stand Diablo-style clickfests and played DD in spite of not liking the combat.

DPB

Watchdog

May 28th, 2012, 23:38
Originally Posted by DPB View Post
Still, turn-based combat is a big plus, I can't stand Diablo-style clickfests and played DD in spite of not liking the combat.
I was skeptical of Larian going with TB combat until I saw those screens and heard that we'll be controlling a four character party. I wish the party size was slightly larger, like five or six, but I'm looking forward to the switch from a single character.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 28th, 2012, 23:39
Great article!

Turn-based combat is definately not a plus for me, but everything else sounds great. Bring it on!

Drakenreiter

Wanderer

May 28th, 2012, 23:46
Nice scoop you guys have here. And yeah, Back to Utima 7/Divine Divinity basics, Turn Based combat, all sounds good to me. I just hope the focus on multiplayer won't hurt the Single Player game. An isometric turn-based RPG only on PC/MAC. Yeah, I can see why they are publishing this one themselves.

jwmeep

Watchdog

May 28th, 2012, 23:51
Well, how about that? I foresee interesting things to come indeed from the modding purpose being there from the very core——add this to the list of interesting RPGs due to land in 2013'ish thus far.

getter77

Sentinel

May 29th, 2012, 00:07
I realy dig this new aproach of geting back to the roots of the PC gamming.

Definately interessed in keeping an eye and ofc buy it when it comes out.

KnightPT

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 00:19
and it all started with kickstarter. it made them see the light. THank you jesus

borcanu

muist

May 29th, 2012, 00:27
Originally Posted by borcanu View Post
and it all started with kickstarter. it made them see the light. THank you jesus
Wll in this case, not realy a direct relation. This divinity game was already in the mind of sven and on the works by larian much before the kickstarter 2012 revolution

But yes, i agree, kickstarter made the whole roots-concept much more solid all-round for PC gaming, that there IS market for old-school stuff.

Probably Sven / larian now thinks its much "safer" to make this divinity after seeing the kickstarter sucesses.

KnightPT

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 00:44
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
The game looks to be fantastic. There are a few games that touch on the 'U7 vibe' such as Gothic 1 & 2 and Arx Fatalis. But this game looks like it could be a direct hit. Can't wait to learn more about it and eventually play it. Thanks for the fantastic article - it touched on everything I wanted to know about the game as it exists at this point.
None of those games you mentioned had any ultima 7 vibe to me at all….maybe arx fatalis and ultima underworld, but surely not ultima 7.

This does look good and I loved their other games, granted the older ones more then the current ones. High hopes for that.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview