|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyberpunk - New AAA RPG from CDPR

Default Cyberpunk - New AAA RPG from CDPR

May 31st, 2012, 12:06
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I guess you'll be able to get the traditional Mr. Stud Sexual Implant, All night, every night. And she'll never know.

Daniel.
Hey that's a CDPR main game design philosophy. Who doesn't want to be a virtual stud. It has everything it's dark, gritty, and mature. Despite that I'm still buying this.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

Default non-fantasy rpg

May 31st, 2012, 12:10
Oboy!

The more non-fantasy crpg the merrier!

Not that I don't like fantasy but it would be very very very nice with some other settings.

All those moments…in time.. rain

bongo bongo!

The game may suck when delivered but glad that they are pushing the conformist boundaries.

C

Crilloan

Sentinel

May 31st, 2012, 13:02
Fantastic news!! CDPR is turning into my favorite gaming studio.

DarNoor

Sentinel

May 31st, 2012, 13:04
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Mature, realistic, and brutal?

I can already hear Alrik complaining.
Yeah.

Mature RPG for mature up audiences, realistic and brutal, set in a rich, futuristic world
Just as I have predicted. "Realistic & brutal".

I just guess that they have learned from the Witcher games that this kind of presentation just sells.

Or the other way round : That there is indeed a market for a "mature" audience which just wants games like this.

Compare it with the outcry on the graphics of Larian's newest game - which (I suppose) looks far too "childish" for the same "mature audience".

A few weeks ago I made up a new term : "Heavy Metal Fantasy".

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 31st, 2012, 13:11
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Yeah.

Just as I have predicted. "Realistic & brutal".

I just guess that they have learned from the Witcher games that this kind of presentation just sells.

Or the other way round : That there is indeed a market for a "mature" audience which just wants games like this.

Compare it with the outcry on the graphics of Larian's newest game - which (I suppose) looks far too "childish" for the same "mature audience".

It's perfect for me as I love hard rock and metal music. I prefer dark over cartoon graphics anyway. Just my preference. I'm sorry I'm part of the problem Alrik.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 31st, 2012, 13:13
Well, it's a matter of taste, in the end.

And I see that my taste is rather frowned upon.

So I go back to other things I enjoy.

(And by the way : I have a reputation to defend ! (As the always bickering outsider, you know … ) )

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 31st, 2012, 13:25
The setting kind of reminds me DX-HR … implants? also i get the feeling of "witcher with guns".
Anyway it is CDPR and if i afford it i will buy it but i am not at all excited with the cyberpunk thing , guns give a very dry experience that it is almost the same from game to game.

*Alrik i am sorry for no ponies

Tragos

Otinanist

May 31st, 2012, 13:31
I didn't get to play the original Cyberpunk PnP game very often, everyone wanted D&D back then, but what time I spent with the game has left me hungering for Cyberpunk type worlds/games ever since.

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that this game delivers!

Ilkeros

Traveler

May 31st, 2012, 13:57
The word "AAA" in the title of this thread actually killed much of my enthusiasm.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 31st, 2012, 14:02
Also, did people look at some of the "roles" in that PnP. Example:
Media
Newsmen and reporters who go to the wall for the truth
Special ability: Credibility

Now I'm wondering if they should keep the 80s expectations or go for what we think is "modern" now.

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Sorry Alrik, somebody beat you to it a long time ago.

There's a comic magazine that exist since the 70s all about Heavy Metal Fantasy (Linked to wikipedia and not the official website because it's 18+). There are also animated movies based on it.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

May 31st, 2012, 14:12
Great news, obviously .

The setting is rich and right up CDProjekt΄s alley (shades of grey and stuff).
The rule system seems interesting and actually well suited for translation into action RPG format.

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside

May 31st, 2012, 14:59
Let's hope they can afford enough art assets that we have more than one choice for the main character and perhaps more than 5 different outfits. I enjoyed The Witcher but thought the 2nd game took a couple steps back. It was still worth the purchase price though. If Cybersex is more sexually explicit than TW2, then we'll be getting close-ups of penetration/oral sex. Not sure I need that in my crpgs, but it would be something new I can also hope for a character that isn't a tattooed, pierced, green-haired dirtbag; which is what comes to mind when reading Cyberpunk.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

May 31st, 2012, 16:04
To be fair Witcher was based on books. Books where the main character is as oversexed as James Bond and Duke Togo combined. Geralt running around sleeping with everything was built into the system. They don't have to go in that direction if they don't want to.

As for "mature". Well Mature is hard to get right. Witcher's mature was violence, and sex cards. Dragon Age's mature was… Also sleeping around and having tons of violence. Age of Decadence's mature seems to be a great deal of swearing, and people being being selfish and self centered. Banner Saga's creators have mocked the use of sex and violence as a standard of maturity, and promises there game will be mature, and then as an example cite the Song of Fire and Ice novels (books filled with violence, sex, etc). Seems to me far too often trying to create a mature setting results in juvenile one. Maturity is a long and complex discussion, so I'm just not going to bother, but hope one day someone comes along and gets it right.

jwmeep

Watchdog

May 31st, 2012, 16:10
Anyways, I wanted to say a few comments about Cyberpunk. This is a great chance for CDP to grow, and establish themselves as an RPG designer, not just "the Witcher guys".

2. Gripping non-linear story filled with life and detail

3. Advanced RPG mechanics based on p&p RPG system

4. Varied selection of different character classes
These are all things new to them. Especially creating your own character. Many CRPG designers stick too formulas they do well, and are afraid to branch out. I'm glad that CDP is not afread to grow. I hope this works out well for them.

jwmeep

Watchdog

May 31st, 2012, 16:53
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Sorry Alrik, somebody beat you to it a long time ago.
Interesting. I didn't know about it.

Thank you.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 31st, 2012, 16:54
Call it stereo type thinking but I would never had guessed that Mike Pondsmith is a black guy.

stealth

Sentinel

May 31st, 2012, 17:01
Originally Posted by stealth View Post
Call it stereo type thinking but I would never had guessed that Mike Pondsmith is a black guy.
The more diversity we get, the better the games will be. Cyberpunk wouldn't be a personal choice of mine, but it'll be different than the standard fantasy fare, which might allure new players to our genre. I'm content with mages, knights, and clerics but not everyone loves them as I do

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

May 31st, 2012, 17:08
Originally Posted by stealth View Post
Wtf do you mean? She's a GUY?

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 31st, 2012, 17:11
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Wtf do you mean? She's a GUY?
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

stealth

Sentinel

May 31st, 2012, 17:44
I don't see how race is relevant or even worth mentioning. I only care that the source material is good and that CDP (hopefully) makes a great crpg from it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyberpunk - New AAA RPG from CDPR