|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Demonicon - Teaser Trailer

Default Demonicon - Teaser Trailer

June 6th, 2012, 14:33
A teaser trailer for Demonicon has been released by Kalypso, showing a much darker world than we've recently been used to for The Dark Eye:

More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 6th, 2012, 14:33
Setting seems darker and "grittier" than Drakensang.

FYI I don't know anything about The Dark Eye other than the Drakensang games.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

June 6th, 2012, 15:05
Demonicon plays in a darker part of the world.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

June 6th, 2012, 15:18
Darker? Alrik is going to flip out.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

June 6th, 2012, 15:37
Is this going to be again group / turns combat ?
It looks interesting .

Tragos

Otinanist

June 6th, 2012, 15:56
Trailers always show big battlefields and yet we never get to play a part of those battles in CRPGs. Except for Mount and Blade maybe but that's a different beast. Would love it if a developer could actually pull that off in a sandbox game and still be a story focused game and not a simulation like M&B.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

June 6th, 2012, 16:10
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Darker? Alrik is going to flip out.
Yes. And that's why I'll most likely won't buy it.

The setting is that of the Black Lands - recently renamed into Shadow Lands - where Borbarad's Minions reign. And these are demon-summoners, summoners of undeads, yes, even undead ones and demons who "live" on their own ! (In TDE, most forms of undead ones are possessed by a demon who kind of used the skeleton framework as his "vehicle".

Borbarad is dead since 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean much. Some of his minions are dead nowadays, too, but there still are far too many force-hungry pople dominating the lands, using people for their sacrifices to please Archdemons who in turn give them huge powers.

The demo of Demonicon I played on the RPC brought in the element of the banned "Blood Magic". Borbarad, of only the Marked Ones and very, very few people knew he was a half-god with Hesinde, the Goddess of Knowledge as his mother, was holding the opinion that *all* people should be able to ue magic, even those who lack the natural resource to use magic : The thing that's clled in the rule set "astral energy". His brother Rohal wanted to prevent him from forcing through his opinion.
Using magic without astral energy is possible only with two ways

- banned "blood magic", in which you use your very own life energy to use magic
- a pact with a certain Archdemon, who in turn grants the possibility to use a certain kind of demonic magic.

Power-hungry people use these ways in the Black Lands since then, if they ddon't have Astral Energy.

The Black Lands are literally infested with demons and with undeads and ith unholy magic and with unholy things in general. The Black Lands is not a nice place to live in.

The game will be very, *very* bloody. It reminded me of Dragon Age in this respect.

Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
It looks interesting .
No. real-time combat, much like an action game.

I don't quite understand whether it will allow co-op gameplay or not. You do have a companion, though.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 6th, 2012, 16:36
I got more information about the game from Alrik's "rant" than I did from the trailer. :/

Thanks!

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

June 6th, 2012, 16:50
They already have my money. Can't wait to play it.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 6th, 2012, 17:14
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Trailers always show big battlefields and yet we never get to play a part of those battles in CRPGs. Except for Mount and Blade maybe but that's a different beast. Would love it if a developer could actually pull that off in a sandbox game and still be a story focused game and not a simulation like M&B.
I thought the battles for Whiterun and Winterhold were pretty huge. You end up fighting tons of Soldiers in those battles. Skyrim made it large enough to feel like a real battle. I also liked the battle in The Witcher 2, though Gelding is forced to a linear path in that one.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

June 6th, 2012, 18:03
The battle is either the freeing of Warunk, the recently freed town (now under a kind of Twelvegods church of Rondra protectorate), where the story takes place (or at least its beginning),
or the huge, enormous Third Demonbattle, which imho should look far, far, far more enomous than this tiny skirmish (compared to the Third Demonbattle).

If you pay close attention, then you see a round thing there, flying through the video, with splinters of it hitting several parts of the map.

This might be a hint towards Borbard's "Demon Crown", which he perhaps was never wearing (the Wiki says he did, I thought otherwise before), which each of its splinters (the Dmoncrown entirely consists of them) representing a close connection and a kind of gift" by nine, I think, archdemons.
This infernal crown was destroyed during the Third Demonbattle, and each one of Borbard's major minions carried away one of these infamous splinters. They grant *huge* powers by the appropriate archdemons !

Now, several of his major minions are dead now (among them the undead dragon Rhazzazor, in short called "Rhazzi" by TDE fans and Xeraan, the money-hungry one), but these splinters cannot be easily destroyed. By oridinary means, they are indestructible. Since then secondary and tertiary minions took them.

So, they still are there, and are corrupting the lnd.

If you can get a google translation, I can recommend these articles from the main (yet semi-official) Wiki :

Borbrad, he is called an "Alveranier", which means he is a god or a half-god, of the banned knowledge : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Borbarad

The Third Demonvbattle : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/D…ämonenschlacht

The Demon Crown : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Dämonenkrone

The Black Lands : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Schwarze_Lande

The Heptarchs, Borbarad's major minions, each of them possessing a sinle splinter : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Heptarch

Helme Haffax is a kind of tragic figure among them : He was once the Mittelrealm's far greatest general & strategist, but gave in into a demon pact because he felt he was not honoured enough by the Middelrealm's rulers, most people believe.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 6th, 2012, 19:03
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I got more information about the game from Alrik's "rant" than I did from the trailer. :/

Thanks!
No kidding! I'm actually quite a bit more interested in this title now.

Thanks for all of the background Alrik!

Cthulhufan

Watcher

June 6th, 2012, 19:04
You can also look into the Drakensang sub-forums. I have posted some more about the background there !

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 6th, 2012, 19:17
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
It looks interesting .
It says ARPG.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 6th, 2012, 19:36
ARPG can mean different things. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay..

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 6th, 2012, 20:01
Yeah, pretty generic "dark" trailer doesn't tell me much.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 6th, 2012, 21:08
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
ARPG can mean different things. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay..
As I mentioned above, I played the demo a bit.

It is very much like action combat, but this early part of the demo I played this year on the RPC it did contain not much of it. There was lots of dialogs, though. Kind of an introduction.

The demo - and I really assume that this will be an or the introduction within the game - took place deeply inside of the Newtmountain, a mountain beneath (?) Waruink, filled with lots and lots and lots of caverns and corridors. It said it was for a long time of the infamous Pher Drodont, an evil magician of some sorts. He did evil experiments there, one dialog entry said.

I could not find a single thing reminding me of Drakensang. I mean regarding stats and talents. Not this complexity. Not at all. Everything was reduced to an minimum, at least this was my subjective impression. I don't remember much anymore, unfortunately.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 7th, 2012, 22:35
There already have been gameplay videos. I'm sure you will finde some on Youtube. My first impression of these gameplay videos was: Wow, a new Devil May Cry / God of War clone. Heavy action combat and your beaten opponents leave you some shiny globes to collect.

The motion capturing of the trailer isn't really impressing.

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Sentinel

June 8th, 2012, 09:47
I wounder if it even should be covered here on RPGWatch…

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 8th, 2012, 11:18
I think it is still an RPG, but I can't really judge since I know not very much about it.
But since we cover Blizzard, we could as well cover this game as well, I think.
A demo and/or a visit to the Games Com could shed more light on this question, imho.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Demonicon - Teaser Trailer