|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

Default Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

March 11th, 2012, 23:21
It is possible to run Skyrim and go around Steam entirely. No need for Piracy. It's just a simple BATCH file.

I am also against Steam. I think the Government made it so they can control what we do on our computers.
Jusey1 is offline

Jusey1

Traveler

#121

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2

Default 

March 15th, 2012, 11:56
Originally Posted by Jusey1 View Post
It is possible to run Skyrim and go around Steam entirely. No need for Piracy. It's just a simple BATCH file.

I am also against Steam. I think the Government made it so they can control what we do on our computers.
lol seriously?
mwe12 is offline

mwe12

Watcher

#122

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 40

Angry Used copy of skyrim

April 8th, 2012, 22:50
I bought a used copy of skyrim and my confirmation codes already been used and the guy i bought it from dosnt know the account information and steam hasnt replyed to a single email(would it hurt them to open a call center i mean realy) and im woundering if theres a way around it its a legit copy of game and i would rather not go through any of the *ahem* other entranceways any help?



email me your response or just post it I realy dont care
steamhater is offline

steamhater

Traveler

#123

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1

Default 

April 9th, 2012, 02:19
Used game sales are of… dubious legality. Steam isn't giving you the time of day because, as far as they are concerned, you are trying to steal from them.

The solution is simple. Buy the game from Steam (or Amazon or wherever). And get your money back from whatever dufus sold you the used game.
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#124

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,742

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 05:59
I did not see the tiny 2pt font message on the box refering to needing a steam account until I looked again after reading about it here now. In fact I didn't see the BOX before i bought it, I paid and they handed it to me. It may have been discussed at length on the internet, but I didn't read it because I don't spend that much time reading about future games, so don't act like anyone who didn't know ahead of time is stupid or lying. If i had seen the requirement I would have been annoyed, but still have bought it, because I've never used steam before and didn't know what a giant steaming piece of poop it really is. Yes it makes me angry that I have to get a 3rd party software installed and create an account, and that I have to have internet for a single person game. And "It's fine if you don't like Steam but if you feel so passionately about it, it's your responsibility to do some minimal research - starting with reading the box" - why should I research to see if a game uses a 3rd party app I know nothing about and have no reason to know is a possibility, in a series that has never had it before?
But my real issue is I have had all the issues described here by other users - crashing, hanging, rebooting my PC, "Skyrim is not available" for 2 weeks, and last night it wouldn't start but would give a message about network error after 5 minutes of not responding. Working tonigh though I did nothing to fix it. I am a computer tech and have no problems with other games\apps on this PC, so don't say my computer is broken or I don't know how to use it.
1/2 the times I've started the game, I have to wait for 30 minutes to install a patch before playing it, by which time I've lost interest or need to do something else. Let me patch it after i'm done playing.
I don't like them collecting information about me, my gaming/buying habits etc, though I'm not all that paranoid about it. However the attitude "we all cared about these things in 2005, but now no one cares because we've accepted it" only means most people are sheep and accept whatever is pushed on them and eventually compromise their beliefs. It doesn't invalidate the concerns, or make the people that still have them wrong.
I don't really want to get into the morality or economics of piracy because no amount of arguing will change how either side feels, but I do have to say that the assumption that cutting piracy by x increases sales by x is just fundimentally wrong. Also whoever said cutting piracy by 4% will double revenue, do you not see how stupid that sounds? That would only be true if total sales were equal to 4% of piracy, and I don't think any software in history has anywhere near that ratio.
So now I could mess around more and try to get steam in offline mode, but i've messed with it enough. I will be installing a crack this weekend.
I pirated Morrowind but only play a bit and lost interest because the story starts slow, but then gave it another chance and liked it so much I purchased the GOTY edition bundled with bloodmoon and tribunal. I bought Oblivian shortly after release at full price and while the story was weak and the gates tedious, but was still good and the world is beautiful so I still greatly enjoyed the game. I bought Skyrim a shortly after release but with all these issues I've gotten frustrated and haven't played much, I'm still lvl 12. When the next Elder Scrolls comes out, I will not buy it but will pirate it (except the MMO i heard about, I won't even bother pirating that if its even possible). And I don't care if you all disapprove. If they fix their act and make software that deserves it again, I'll buy again. And having steam is only part of why I say that. The cumbersome poorly ported xbox interface that closes as often as it open what you click, the stripped down quest log that only shows the last entry - 1/2 the time I forgot why i was looking for that dagger i just found and its telling me to take it back to farmer joe - and problems still there since Oblivion such as accidently bumping a plate on a shelf in your house and the shelf explodes its contents all over the room and it being impossible to put the junk back. This could have been fixed by now. It almost feels like an EA game - a lot of talent going into it but rushed to market by people who only care about money and have no pride in the product.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#125

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 07:07
Dude, is your enter key broken or what?
Moriendor is offline

Moriendor

Moriendor's Avatar
Spielkind

#126

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Schland
Posts: 1,907

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 07:30
Wow, all that just to justify stealing games.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#127

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,178

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 11:16
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Used game sales are of… dubious legality. Steam isn't giving you the time of day because, as far as they are concerned, you are trying to steal from them.
That's one of several reasons why I'm against Steam, too.

Using Steam is like … doing something into the direction of EA's "Project 10 Dollar".

Since the used games market has been declared war because it is THE PRIME EVIL, more and more publishers are likely to use Steam simply to battle the used games market.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#128

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,980

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 11:28
Originally Posted by steamhater View Post
I bought a used copy of skyrim and my confirmation codes already been used and the guy i bought it from dosnt know the account information and steam hasnt replyed to a single email(would it hurt them to open a call center i mean realy) and im woundering if theres a way around it its a legit copy of game and i would rather not go through any of the *ahem* other entranceways any help?



email me your response or just post it I realy dont care
You cannot legitimately install used PC games with Steamworks (or nearly any other DRM I'm aware of, for that matter). Even GOG, for example, which uses no DRM, if you buy a used copy of Witcher 2, you can install it, but it would be illegal, as you'd still be violating the EULA for Witcher 2.

The person who sold it to you could let you use their steam account, which violates the TOS.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you got scammed.
CountChocula is offline

CountChocula

CountChocula's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#129

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chocovania
Posts: 1,478

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 15:31
Allow me use the crack from reloaded they cover every patch. Problem solved there is no other way. I wont tell you were to find it. That's all I will say since the site frowns on talking about this.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#130

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 9,545

Default 

June 8th, 2012, 18:56
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Dude, is your enter key broken or what?
likely a cut and paste job sent everywhere he can find his search criteria on google. you'll note he has yet to make another post.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#131

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 3,198

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 00:35
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
likely a cut and paste job sent everywhere he can find his search criteria on google. you'll note he has yet to make another post.
No, everything in my post was in response to something previously said in this thread. It would have taken to long to quote all the various, and would have made an annoyingly long post 2x as long. And I just did this last night, went to bed, when to work, and just now got on again. And I signed up just to respond to this.

I guess that last paragraph was kinda long, but otherwise my paragraph breaks seem proper to me… English class was a few years ago though. Sorry
Edit: Oh, i guess i should double entered… of course it would have made it even longer.

Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Wow, all that just to justify stealing games.
No, as I said I purchased Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, and Skyrim. No stealing, or even pirating for that matter. Furthermore I don't need to justify anything, I do what I feel is correct by my own code, and do not care if you approve.
Last edited by mhorton; June 9th, 2012 at 05:18.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#132

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 06:45
Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
No, as I said I purchased Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, and Skyrim. No stealing, or even pirating for that matter. Furthermore I don't need to justify anything, I do what I feel is correct by my own code, and do not care if you approve.
Well you said you pirated morrowind, so what if you bought it later at a reduced price. You then said you would pirate the next elder scrolls game. Your right though you don't need to justify it to me. You've already justified it to yourself.

You will blame steam because you don't just get 1 of the errors others are reporting, you get ALL of them. I would think you would almost need to work at it to get every error. I would think being a computer tech you'd have no problem getting steam to run. I built my own computer and many others for friends and family and have put steam on every one of them. No one has ever complained of problems with it, to the contrary they usually remark how easy it is and what great deals they have. I've had steam for years, have over 100 games and haven't had an issue, so it will obviously run just fine on a quality and well maintained pc.

I don't know why you have every issue with steam. Maybe it's poor component choice, lack of maintenance, all that pirated software you download, only to uninstall later when you buy it or maybe you simply exaggerate. What ever the reason is don't blame steam when you pirate the next elder scrolls.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#133

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,178

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 07:00
I never said I bought Morrowind at a reduced price… And your experiance only proves it will run fine on SOME quality and well maintained PCs. Just because you don't experience a problem doesn't prove it doesn't exist.
Oh, and I'm not blaming Steam when I pirate the next ES, I'm blaming Bethesda for using it.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#134

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 07:33
Lost interest in your posts with all the hyperbole. Morrowind didn't need Steam? It didn't require a dual-core CPU, either - things change. If you care about 3rd-party programs running in the background - as you say you do - the onus is firmly on you to check.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#135

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 08:08
There was no hyperbole, do you know what that word means?
As I said, how would I know to check for something I didn't expect? Yes, from now on I will be sure to check and decide if it is worth the trouble before buying, now that I know its a possibility.
Increased hardware requirements has been a given from the infancy of PC gaming, so your comparison does not apply.

Edit: well I guess saying "1/2 the time" i started I had to wait for a patch would be hyperbole, it actually was less often, just felt like it. But thats the only example I really see.
Last edited by mhorton; June 9th, 2012 at 08:33.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#136

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 08:54
You'd know to check because you're a computer tech and must have at least been aware of Steam, Origin, GFWL, Rockstar Social and so on. Many games have third party applications - and if you're sensitive to them ("it makes me angry that I have to get a 3rd party software installed"), you'd know to check.

And, yes, "half the time" is hyperbole. I use Steam virtually every day with around a dozen games from my library of 101 Steam games installed and I don't get interrupted very often, so I know very well your one game isn't a problem.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#137

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 15:45
Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
I never said I bought Morrowind at a reduced price… And your experiance only proves it will run fine on SOME quality and well maintained PCs. Just because you don't experience a problem doesn't prove it doesn't exist.
Oh, and I'm not blaming Steam when I pirate the next ES, I'm blaming Bethesda for using it.
The GOY edition is sold at a reduced price upon its release as the extra content is included for free.

To be blunt I just don't buy it. Your a computer tech who gets all the errors people list here and you have no idea how to fix it. It doesn't just run fine on some computers it runs fine on the majority of computers so a computer tech should be able to get it to work.

I think you just don't like steam so you posted a greatly exaggerated rant. I know you don't care what I think or believe so save yourself the time of posting that.

With steam,origin,GameStop and others you might as well get used to 3rd party apps running your games.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#138

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,178

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 19:08
Sigh, yes I knew Steam existed but i never suspected it would be required for a single player game that I bought with a disc. I thought Steam was just a discount download service mostly for older games. And Origin, GFWL, Rockstar Social? I don't know what you mean. I've played Origin games in the past but there wasn't anything like Steam there.

I should clarify that I am a tech in a business environment, so the only game related software I deal with is on my own PC.

One example of hyberbole doesn't justify "all the hyperbole".

Again, the fact that you personally do not have a problem does not prove that I do not. That is a logical fallacy.

The GOY edition is sold at a reduced price upon its release as the extra content is included for free.
That is rediculous reasoning. I don't know how much Marrowind would have sold for when I 1st started playing it, but it was not a new game then. And it wouldn't have come down any by the time a bought GOTY a couple months later. So what if I got some extra content with it. I could have pirated the GOTY version instead, then bought it, but just didn't happen to do so.

Yes, I don't like Steam, because my one and only experience with it has ruined my enjoyment of a game i was looking forward to, and now feel like wasn't worth the $60 i paid for it.

I don't really care what you think of piracy, but you calling me a liar is pretty annoying. I geuss I do care about that.

You all seem to misunderstand. My post wasn't just a rant against Steam, it was responding to multiple comments made throughout this thread, some of which I was agreeing with, some I was refuting. This would have been clearer if I'd have made multiple posts quoting each person. But i didn't want to be that annoying. I do realize my post was excessivily long as it was.

On the positive side, I've now gotten Steam to log in again, and set it to Offline mode, so hopefully I can get into the game again. I just started over with a new character.

Edit: no, now I'm back to "could not connect to steam network. This could be a problem with your internet connection" - no, my internet connection is fine. I'm using it now to look for a crack. Being Offline doesn't matter.
Last edited by mhorton; June 9th, 2012 at 19:54.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#139

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 9th, 2012, 20:22
Here since you all are saying I'm lying and do not really have issues with your absolutely perfect 100% bugfree Steam, here's proof:
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#140

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Tags
skyrim, steam
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:56.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch