|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

Default Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

June 9th, 2012, 23:30
Dumb thread is dumb.

Sad times.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#141

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836

Default 

June 10th, 2012, 14:43
Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
Sigh, yes I knew Steam existed but i never suspected it would be required for a single player game that I bought with a disc. I thought Steam was just a discount download service mostly for older games. And Origin, GFWL, Rockstar Social? I don't know what you mean. I've played Origin games in the past but there wasn't anything like Steam there.
From a "casual player's" point of view, this is acceptable. Imho. Because - where from should "Casuals" know what Steam actually is/does ? They are merely interested in playing, not in the tech behind that.

It's the gamers that help Steam establish their role, because they are informed. They do know what Steam is, and they consciously accept it.

It's a bit like … Someone is putting something into an microwave oven. How is the person supposed to know that some things must NOT be put and "heated" (however this ominous "heating" process works) into the oven ? That's tech.

And there is always a practical side and there is always a techie side.

Gamers are "techies", because they usually do know (at least to some extend) how stuff works.

Casual gamers are not. They are not interested in how disc mounting in Linux works. They just just want things to be done.

"Ignorance is bliss".

But those who are informed ignore that some people just want to turn on their TV and watch movies without it booting up from one operating system and connecting itself to the internet to download the newest codecs or whatever.


What I don't quite understand is that - if you're working in the computer indistry, how comes that you've never heard of what Steam does ?

"But everyone knows this !" - This would be the usual reply of the informed ones.

I thought Steam was just a discount download service mostly for older games.
Yes, I kind of thought it once, too.

But that's long ago.

Perhaps you had mixed it up with GOG ?

Whereas GOG is commercial, too …
As is Games For Windows Live, Origins, Gamergate, OnLive …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#142

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,002

Default 

June 10th, 2012, 17:32
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
It's a bit like Someone is putting something into an microwave oven. How is the person supposed to know that some things must NOT be put and "heated" (however this ominous "heating" process works) into the oven ? That's tech.
But its more like, you do know what goes in a microwave and what does not. But then you buy the same product you've been buying and only when you go to eat it do you find out that you can't microwave it this time. Yes it says it on the package, but why would you bother to read it? And your oven only works sometimes so you have to put off lunch until it does.

But thank you for a giving such reasonable and polite response. There is truth to what you say.

I guess I'm no longer a "gamer" and have become casual. Probably happened when I recently spent 3 years getting an associate degree and didn't have time to play a single game during that time with full time work and 2 hours driving a day. Spent the last year or so catching up.

I think i'm just getting tired of the tech. I'm considering changing careers to be honest, except i'm probably too old. I work in an office/factory supporting PC running MS office, engineering software, in-house software, etc, nothing gaming related. In fact, I'm supposed to remove anything not authorized when I see it, not fix it. At home, I'd rather play a game than read about it on the net, or waste time troubleshooting like I was still at work.

All i knew about Steam last year was a guy I work with, whenever we discussed a less than brand new game, he'd be "Oh you can get that on Steam on sale right now". And I'd say "why pay to download something, and its too big, would take a week on my slow DSL"

I've always been against consoles because anything a console can do a PC can match, plus do so much more. Until motion controls came along, and I got a Wii. I bought both Skyrim and Skyward Sword on SS's release day. I would have gotten Skyrim on release day but PC version was sold out. As the lines continue to blur between them, and PC gaming experience continues to deteriorate I may not be as upset as I have been to see the continual decline of PC gaming.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#143

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 10th, 2012, 17:49
Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
All i knew about Steam last year was a guy I work with, whenever we discussed a less than brand new game, he'd be "Oh you can get that on Steam on sale right now". And I'd say "why pay to download something, and its too big, would take a week on my slow DSL"
Actually that isn't entirely true, I did buy GTA4 via Steam last year, only played it once, but didn't have trouble with Steam then. I had forgotten about that.
mhorton is offline

mhorton

Traveler

#144

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8

Default 

June 10th, 2012, 18:15
Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
As the lines continue to blur between them, and PC gaming experience continues to deteriorate I may not be as upset as I have been to see the continual decline of PC gaming.
Personally, I go even that far that I see the PC platform as a - as I call it - "degenerated gaming platform".

Signs are :

- only very few major genres available
- lots and lots of franchises (read : games with the same brand name/setting/genre 1-5 times one after the other)
- very little risk in developing new themes/settings/genres is involved
- rather than creativity, evolution rules the development of games
- the evolutionary steps in gme development are very small
- everything is quite much streamlines (read : made to fit into an 2mass market")
- the "milking process" has begun

Creativity is something I rather see for consoles. Because the revenues are more safe there.

And it imho can be seen by just browsing through gaming magazines (printed ones) : If a few game settings/genres dominate the magazine, then this platform is dead, speaking from a creativity point of view.

Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
I think i'm just getting tired of the tech. I'm considering changing careers to be honest, except i'm probably too old. […] At home, I'd rather play a game than read about it on the net, or waste time troubleshooting like I was still at work.
Same here. And I almost assume these days that this might have something to do with the age.

I jut do not want to have to know how a PC works. I just want to plug in and have some fun.
The older I grow, the stronger this feeling becomes.

But still I'm on the PC platform, because any time I try, I have a very hard time with these controllers. I just can't use them - properly.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#145

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,002

Default 

June 12th, 2013, 05:26
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Unlike the idiot Sackichop and anyone else who was forced to Join but now loves it. Well the world is full of idiots!
reminds of how lots of people in the USSR (not all) liked communism and had there ideals that they had grown up with. Just like how you have your own ideals that you have grown up and in someone (most likely) make you not want to install free steam that large portion of people have already gotten. Then when the USSR dies all the people that were like Communism is the best were then all like "oh capitalism seems so much better. Boy was I wrong" Are they idiots too?

Also I am posting this 2 years later.
TheLoneAcolyte is offline

TheLoneAcolyte

Traveler

#146

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1

Tags
skyrim, steam
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:31.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch