|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dead State - Kickstarter Passes 50%, First Stretch Goal

Default Dead State - Kickstarter Passes 50%, First Stretch Goal

June 9th, 2012, 04:36
DoubleBear's Kickstarter for Dead State currently sits at $77k, a little over the halfway mark in a few days. A new update has been posted discussing the demand for some improved mid-level tiers and a physical box version, as well as the first stretch goal:
I should probably explain about weapons in our game. While we have quite a few weapons in the game, we believe in functionality over brute strength. There will be some upgrades to basic weapon types, but our weapons are designed with pros and cons that factor in their weight, damage, reload time and ammo scarcity, special abilities, and type of damage. Adding more weapons offers up a lot more strategic options for you and your party and even gives you some new special weapons to play with. Here’s a breakdown of our first stretch goal, the Weapon Pack:
-Tiller – A 2-handed spiky melee polearm that can cause bleeding.
-Kukri - A 1-handed melee knife that is great at causing limb damage.
-Crossbow - A 2-handed ranged weapon that is much quieter than guns.
-Flare Gun – A unique 1-handed ranged weapon that is guaranteed to set targets on fire.
-Bola – A special thrown weapon that stops targets in their tracks.
-Bottle of Acid – A special thrown weapon that burns and can cause panic - also it’s acid!
-Bowie Knife – A 1-handed melee knife capable of inflicting a lot of damage.
-Repeating Lever-Action Rifle – A 2-handed ranged weapon that’s all-around reliable.
-Antique Revolver – A 1-handed pistol that makes you feel like a cowboy.
-MSG-10 SMG – A 2-handed ranged weapon – unload responsibly.
But wait – there’s more! That’s right, we’re also posting a poll at our forums to vote on the last three weapons for the pack. That’s thirteen total weapons in the weapon pack! If that sounds like something you’d appreciate playing with in Dead State, consider throwing in a few extra bucks or even bump up you pledge to a higher tier. The money helps us bring another artist on full-time.
And how about this – if we make our stretch goal within five days, we’ll add the FOUR top weapons on our poll as a bonus. For our first stretch goal, let’s try to reach $180,000.
We appreciate your support and we hope that everyone can pitch in a little more to make the weapon selection in Dead State give you and your allies an even better chance. Thanks for your continued support!
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 9th, 2012, 04:36
Yeah, even with the usual drop in the middle, I think it's safe to say they are going to hit the goal.

jwmeep

Watchdog

June 9th, 2012, 07:39
Yeah, I was mildly worried overall despite the good start but I do believe that the basic goal is feasible at least.

I believe that a better planning for the pledges might have helped, as people seem to be run dry from all the Kickstarters (and seem to need extra incentive or something ). I had only backed Wasteland, Shadowrun and Jane jensen (for a measly 16$ for sentimental reasons mostly) myself… Only waiting for Obsidian now (I know it will be quite a while), unless something really awesome pops up…

Anyways, I wonder if say a 65$ tier with all the rewards from the 50$ and a second copy i.e would have made more sense instead of undermining your profits with 2 at 30$ (new tier)…

Edit: Also, crossbow should have been default. I'd never leave home without it… Err in a zombie apocalypse I mean
Last edited by JonNik; June 9th, 2012 at 08:21.

JonNik

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2012, 08:22
They shoot at collecting more than $150k and see their project requiring more than 150k.

Past the first day frenzy, they give out the first stretch goals and a dead line to reach the sum. Must do as well as the first three days to complete.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2012, 15:33
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
They shoot at collecting more than $150k and see their project requiring more than 150k.

Past the first day frenzy, they give out the first stretch goals and a dead line to reach the sum. Must do as well as the first three days to complete.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/707…-survival-rpg/

KickTraq says they are tracking on $500,000.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

June 9th, 2012, 16:08
KickTraq doesn't mean anything. He just uses a trendline to project what's happening… You can do it yourself on Excel. Theirs might be a tad more complicated, but it still doesn't mean much.

http://blog.kicktraq.com/why-you-sho…grain-of-salt/

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

June 9th, 2012, 16:52
I'm only slightly less excited about this game than I am about Wasteland 2.

Their goal will be hit - I'm just sad to see that they didn't hit it in a day or so like other games did… but then they aren't "legends in the industry" like Fargo and Schafer, so I guess it's to be expected.

I hope, unlike the other video game campaigns, they take note of what Oots, Diesel Sweeties and Zpocalypse did with new pledge tiers and stretch goals to make the campaign entertaining.

Merin

'Author'

June 9th, 2012, 17:51
I have been following kickstarter for a month…what happens is there is a rush at the beginning then a lull and by the last few days it goes crazy. This will make it's goal no problem.

There was no way it was going to it in one day, there is no huge name behind this. The games that do that usually have some big name or a history of fans that propel it forward, ala traveller or wasteland 2.

I have been waiting for this one for awhile, just a sin it couldn't be published by bethesda or bioware

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

June 10th, 2012, 14:50
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/707…-survival-rpg/

KickTraq says they are tracking on $500,000.
Pretty clean tool to monitor the evolution. A bit bad they do not store the evolution of the trend once the kickstarter is close.

I am looking to evaluate the developper's idea on the optimal budget to release their optimal vision of the game.

Clearly, $150k is the minimal budget to release the minimal vision of the game.

Stretch goals give away anytime new ideas turn into fillers in order to soak up excess of funding and justify receiving more money than needed to developp the optimal vision.

This studio is far from this point as they envision to recruit a full time artist job on the extra $30k. An addition on such a small team means at least one third of the game universe is at stake.

Much needed money.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 10th, 2012, 16:48
Glad they made a much better presentation now, this looks like something I really want to play!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 10th, 2012, 21:51
The more I see of this product, the more I want it. Looking better everytime.

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 11th, 2012, 23:14
Yeah I was really skeptical about this one based on the second/third-hand info I had about it. Really gave me the wrong idea with regard to what the game is all about; for some reason I had been under the misconception that it was a zombie-RPG in that you played zombies.

I am very much liking the look of this and the feature set they're exploring at this point. It doesn't hurt that the lead dev has worked for black-isle and troika.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2012, 09:08
The project has been updated with physical rewards. Physical.

A new promotional thread must report the news because the funding is stalling at the moment.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2012, 09:17
The first one cost $85-
The Save One for Yourself Pack (This Pack is not included in any other tier) -A metal magnum bullet-shaped USB pre-loaded with the game, etched with the Dead State logo, and on a keychain for easy transport and bragging rights. -A digital copy of the game so you don’t have to wait for delivery. -The digital soundtrack, the digital book, special thanks in the credits, and a silver forum badge (Add $10 for shipping outside of the US and Canada)
The second one cost $250-
The Splendid Box: Deluxe Edition It includes: -A Large Collector’s Box for all the stuff. -A DVD copy of the Game and a CD of the Soundtrack -The Special Edition Shirt, the USB Bullet pre-loaded with the game, the Signed Paperback of the Making of Dead State, and a real paper Manual -Collectible Game Merch, including an MMM,Bison! Kid’s Placemat, a Splendid Evacuation Notice, Friggin’ Chikin Frequent Gorger’s Card, and much more. (All sheets printed on high quality paper) -A Signed Letter from the Devs. But wait, there’s more! We’ll also give you two digital copies, a gold forum tag, and special thanks in the credits. (Add $15 for shipping outside of the US and Canada)

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 12th, 2012, 09:46
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Yeah I was really skeptical about this one based on the second/third-hand info I had about it. Really gave me the wrong idea with regard to what the game is all about; for some reason I had been under the misconception that it was a zombie-RPG in that you played zombies.
That must have been fifth-hand information, then - if not worse!

The new physical tiers are pricey - too pricey for me, I think. On the other hand I think it is good that they don't offer tiers that just eat away their time for little extra funding (after deducting production and shipping costs).
I think the stalling is rather normal. Hopefully they'll get some additional coverage or mentions on high profile sites or twitters, and there will be an additional rush over the last few days. At the current rate of $4-5k /day (judging from other game campaings it should stay more or less stable for a while now) they should reach their goal in 10-14 days. I think it has a good chance to reach > $200k in the end.

However I think making part of the stretch goal time-dependen was a bit unwise.
And how about this – if we make our stretch goal within five days, we’ll add the FOUR top weapons on our poll as a bonus. For our first stretch goal, let’s try to reach $180,000.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 12th, 2012, 12:27
The project will meet the minimal goal, few doubts about it.

The kicktraq site is a mine to learn about various projects.

So far, Dead State is a bit special when you compare to some others.

Reading the comments left by the team on their kickstarter page, several times, they mention they want to expand their team, bring more people on full time.

Starting team is small as told, any additional member means a lot of content going with.

At the current rate, they will release the minimal version of the game. And from that point, who knows what is going to happen. The settings of the game and the objectives are rather unusual, so if their project fails, it will takes years before you see a similar game coming up.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2012, 14:18
Just passed 100.000 - 2/3rd to the funding goal, 23 days to go.

Even their minimum goal would be an enormous step up from the way they were operating before, which is basically without a budget. Just getting e.g. Oscar and Nick working full time and having more money to comission more art from the other artists on the team would be a significant improvement.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 13th, 2012, 09:12
The introduction of physical items has just given the funding a second breath.
Less backers in a day but they doubled the funding from the previous day.

The more money, the better.

Kickstarter must allow developpers design, artistic integrity. The project is prepaid and therefore developpers should use the opportunity to deliver on their vision without compromizing to please the customers.

Already, when reading the comments by backers, the players are split: some wish the game to be a survival game when others wish the game to be a classic rpg set in an apocalyptic world overrun by zombies.
So far, developpers have said they wish to make this game about survival. If they do not collect enough money to release the vision they have, later, they will be in a position to compromize.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 13th, 2012, 09:51
Pcitures don't work.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 17th, 2012, 18:36
Current pace: they will cover initial funding goal plus weapon pack.

Introduction of new stretch goals might inject new blood but it might come late.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dead State - Kickstarter Passes 50%, First Stretch Goal