|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Demo Available

Default Risen 2 - Demo Available

June 24th, 2012, 18:49
There's a demo available for Risen 2: Dark Waters at Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/40390/
The demo allows players to experience the beginning of the game - the world is in turmoil, the Titans have devastated everything in their path with unstoppable force. Only the city of Caldera, where the headquarters of the Inquisition are located, offers a place of refuge for the people. It is repeatedly attacked by sea monsters, and supply ships are sunk en route. Nobody knows how long the walls will hold; food and weapons are gradually running out. The nameless hero sets out on a mission to put an end to the sea monsters once and for all.
Link to GameBanshee where you can read the full press release.
http://gamebanshee.com/news/108533-r…available.html
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 24th, 2012, 18:49
Awesome news. I'm surprised though. Was a demo planned? I heard nothing about it. Anyway, since i haven't bought the game yet, this willgice me a chance to try it out.

DarNoor

Sentinel

June 24th, 2012, 18:53
As far as I know, there was a demo even prior to the release. They have called it "beta" (lying bastards).

Daddy32

Sentinel

June 24th, 2012, 20:34
6.5GBs required. Are we actually installing the whole game with parts locked like was the case with the DLCs?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 24th, 2012, 21:49
Doesn't Steam demos function this way? You try the demo out - and if you like it, you can buy the full game after playing the demo…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 24th, 2012, 22:25
Originally Posted by Daddy32 View Post
As far as I know, there was a demo even prior to the release. They have called it "beta" (lying bastards).
Demos are usually betas.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 24th, 2012, 23:46
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
Doesn't Steam demos function this way? You try the demo out - and if you like it, you can buy the full game after playing the demo…
Wouldn't know if they do. Still it's risky business if the rest of the content is as easy to unlock as the DLCs were.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 25th, 2012, 01:14
I'm pretty sure my install of the full game was significantly more than 6.5 GB. Still, that does sound like a lot for a demo.

I hope the demo gets more people to buy the full game though. It really is an underrated title imo.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 25th, 2012, 02:41
Originally Posted by Kostaz View Post
6.5GBs required. Are we actually installing the whole game with parts locked like was the case with the DLCs?
Picking and choosing just those assets required for the demo levels would be time consuming, it's probably just the devs saving time and dumping the whole lot in whether it's required or not.

People don't balk at large downloads these days I guess, at least that's what they're counting on.

badmofo

Tired but happy

June 25th, 2012, 04:15
As I have limited downloads, I do balk at 6.5 GB for a demo I'm really not totally interested in. Again, I'll pass.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

June 25th, 2012, 05:12
I'm with Corwin - I have limited downloads. I'm actually kind of sick of the underlying assumption when it's made, that we all somehow have unrestricted and unlimited downloads. It's frustrating. Some perspective on the matter is a useful thing.

That said, I'd already purchased Risen 2 a month or so back and intend to play it for the first time once the school holidays start. Really looking forward to it, actually.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

June 25th, 2012, 05:59
Don't blame game makers. Blame the ISPs for limiting our bandwidth in the first place.

sakichop

SasqWatch

June 25th, 2012, 10:06
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
As I have limited downloads, I do balk at 6.5 GB for a demo I'm really not totally interested in. Again, I'll pass.
Maybe a regional problem. Internet in Germany, where DS and PB are from, isn't always fast, but it's generally unlimited. With the exception of cellphones of course.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

June 25th, 2012, 10:20
In Sweden it is same as Germany, except it is almost always fast as well.

Most people I know have something between 10-100 mbit… but some even has 1000 mbit which is kind of ridicules to have at home, that's more than some of the companies with 1000's of employees have.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 25th, 2012, 10:28
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
In Sweden it is same as Germany, except it is almost always fast as well.

Most people I know have something between 10-100 mbit… but some even has 1000 mbit which is kind of ridicules to have at home, that's more than some of the companies with 1000's of employees have.
Are you talking about how the service is labeled or the actual download speeds? For instance, my service is 20 MB, but my actual download speed is usually around 3MB/s which is generally considered pretty good here.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 25th, 2012, 10:58
That's how it's labeled. I get around 4-8 MB/s with a 100mbit connection.

vurt

Serial Modderer

June 25th, 2012, 11:54
That's because it's bits vs bytes. All you need to do to find the actual download speed is divide it by 8. For example, a 1000 mbit line can download at 125 mb/sec. Theoretically. They rarely reach max speed.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

June 25th, 2012, 16:03
Yes if you get 8 MB/s your 100mbit is actually pretty good. You can also try to start some parallel downloads, which might add up together to get close to the max.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 25th, 2012, 16:43
I have a 1.5 DSL connection and I seem to average about 860kb/second. It'll take a long time to download this. I should get a better internet package, but I'm lazy

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

June 25th, 2012, 17:21
Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to try it.

Originally Posted by vurt View Post
That's how it's labeled. I get around 4-8 MB/s with a 100mbit connection.
I have the same (fiber optic), but I get pretty close to max DL speed, around 11-12 MB/s with Steam. Origin seems to be a little faster, steady 12-13 MB/s.

100 megabits is equivalent 12.5 megabytes, which is pretty close to my Steam DL speed. Maybe I'm located close to their servers on the West Coast? I suppose the Internet connection probably fluctuates a bit above and below 100 mbps.

Incidentally, the Risen 2 demo requires 6.5GB disc space, but the download package from Steam is only 3.6GB. It took a little under 4 minutes to complete the download in my case.
Last edited by CountChocula; June 25th, 2012 at 17:35.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Demo Available