|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Paid DLC Planned

Default Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Paid DLC Planned

July 1st, 2012, 01:28
In a series of tweets yesterday, Trent Oster revealed plans for DLC for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Trent promises the full Baldur's Gate experience will be included with the initial release but they have more content - including paid DLC - planned:
We plan to support the game after release with DLC.
We'll be doing free feature improvements and existing content improvements as we go, but we are also planning some paid DLC.
We would never DLC existing content. Any DLC content we plan to sell will be all new.
DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.
Prior, Trent also said they were in a "holding pattern" for approval to release more news and that cloud saves were planned.
News-wise, we're in a holding pattern on approvals and getting new content submitted into the approvals pipeline.
We've got cloud saves in our plans. Those plans have yet to be realized. I'm hopeful, but it could be pushed post-ship.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 1st, 2012, 01:28
Didn't they mention trying to attempt to make it compatible with existing mods?

Between party AI and what the BG modding community started doing to it was the inspiration for creating Neverwinter Nights.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

July 1st, 2012, 01:36
I cast Protection from Evil

figliar

Traveler

July 1st, 2012, 02:04
Normally not a fan of dlc (heck, never bought any of it yet for any game), but this is one I would probably buy if it was done well. I'm a sucker for Baldur's Gate, so this is an easy sell.

Arkadia7

SasqWatch

July 1st, 2012, 02:16
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Normally not a fan of dlc (heck, never bought any of it yet for any game), but this is one I would probably buy if it was done well. I'm a sucker for Baldur's Gate, so this is an easy sell.
Arkadia, I have to agree. I've never been a fan of DLC either (though I do miss old style expansion packs). The price/hour of game play for them always seemed limited. IF (and its a big IF) they keep the price reasonable then I'd consider it.

Caidh

Watchdog

July 1st, 2012, 02:19
So where can I get more info? Are the graphics improved, etc?

I am free because I choose to be so-me

Kefka

Watcher

July 1st, 2012, 02:55

DeepO

deep outside

July 1st, 2012, 04:58
they are in a good position in a niche market. I'm sure they will pull it off! It will ne nice to play brand new Baldurs Gate. This is awsome!

spiraling69

Sentinel

July 1st, 2012, 05:00
by they way, it's getting close to that time!!!

spiraling69

Sentinel

July 1st, 2012, 08:49
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
So where can I get more info? Are the graphics improved, etc?
The official website for more info:
http://www.baldursgate.com/
Can't say anything with confidence. Beamdog hasn't shown any gameplay screenshots yet (at least I did find nothing) but we can be anticipant that they won't mess it up.

"Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven"
Last edited by Vahid; August 28th, 2012 at 23:33.

Vahid

The One

July 1st, 2012, 11:19
I'm pretty sure they suggested to include expanded content in their originally announced single product, in no way creating the impression I'd have to pay extra for all that.
Not sure if this is a change many players will be excited to hear.

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor

July 1st, 2012, 11:25
So now we need to wait another year for Baldur's Gate - Ultimate Enhanced Ultra Edition?

Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
I'm pretty sure they suggested to include expanded content in their originally announced single product, in no way creating the impression I'd have to pay extra for all that.
Not sure if this is a change many players will be excited to hear.
Yep, I thought it was going to be included and this was one of the main reasons for buying this version. I've waited 14 years to play this game, I suppose I can wait another year or two.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

July 1st, 2012, 16:05
Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
So now we need to wait another year for Baldur's Gate - Ultimate Enhanced Ultra Edition?

Yep, I thought it was going to be included and this was one of the main reasons for buying this version. I've waited 14 years to play this game, I suppose I can wait another year or two.
I don't think that what they are tweeting about is the extra character and other content that they originally announced. They are looking to take this and really add a lot to it. I never have a problem paying for more stuff.

jamey333

Traveler

July 1st, 2012, 16:14
Originally Posted by jamey333 View Post
I don't think that what they are tweeting about is the extra character and other content that they originally announced. They are looking to take this and really add a lot to it. I never have a problem paying for more stuff.
I just bought the GOG version of BG1 and 2 before all this was announced. I had been trying to install the mods that let you play through both games with the BG2 engine and eventually I gave up.

Playing through a stable game with the new content and improved assets would definitely be worth waiting to buy the BGEE for PC, but I'm not really inclined to buy the BGEE and then keep buying more DLC every few months.

I'll just wait to buy the whole thing, preferably after it goes on sale at some point.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

July 1st, 2012, 16:21
You people are RPG fans.Support the few devs doing stuff like this by buying full price or this new idea will disappear as did the infinity engine.

wolfen

Watcher

July 1st, 2012, 17:26
Uh… rereleasing old stuff is not really a new idea. Anyway, I'm still a fan of Baldurs Gate and might buy that, but…. I dislike the whole dlc stuff. Make one addon and I'm fine with it.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

July 1st, 2012, 17:59
This makes me rather grow my disgust of DLC in general … I feel kind of tricked into BG Enhanced Edition seeming to become merely a tool to sell DLC …

This might not have been their intentions, but this is the "message" arriving at me.

Yes, and I do know that I'm weird sometimes …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 1st, 2012, 18:51
They previously implied we would get new content as part of the Enhanced Edition. I hope this still holds true.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

July 1st, 2012, 18:59
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Yes, and I do know that I'm weird sometimes
Yes you are (and I mean it in a nicest possible way) IF BG Enhanced Edition will cover the entire original content than I don't see a problem with DLCs. After all, if you are just after the game in its original form, you don't have to bother with DLCs. Think of them as mods that you have pay for. They might be nice to have but they aren't compulsory.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

July 1st, 2012, 19:10
I hope they reconsider DLCs and make full scale expansion pack.If not I am hoping for large DLCs like those for Fallout new vegas.If they go for lot of low price/low content DLCs I won't bother with them.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Paid DLC Planned