|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

July 12th, 2012, 11:35
"Deutsch für junge Profis", English title would be : "German for young professionals", a book on writing successful stories, given to me b a good friend who has just sent her … second ? third ? book out in search for a publisher.

She also gave me a book on writing good Exposés, but we both don't think that this book is a good one (its title is "Drei Seiten für ein Exposé").

She says that the first book is something she would call her "writing bible", and it indeed makes a very good impression on me. Its author seems to very much know his letters, so to say.

She wrote me that she gave me this book as … an acknowledgement of the work I did as an moderator in an HSP forum - and that this forum (and my work there) had effectively brought her back into writing, for which she is grateful.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 12th, 2012, 23:14
Stamping Butterflies by Jon Courtnenay Grinmwood

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

July 13th, 2012, 05:39
"500 ways to be a better writer", by Chuck Wendig.

30% of Chuck's writing is over-the-top, un-funny, rude for the sake of it nonsense. But the advice itself is fantastic.

I've never been big on self help books but if I'm going to produce anything worthwhile in the next 10 years, then some shortcuts needed to be taken.

The other one that I found value in was "The book in writing" by Paula LaRocque.

badmofo

Tired but happy

July 15th, 2012, 08:15
I just finished '72 Virgins' by Boris Johnson. That book was so much fun - like Tom Clancy minus the glaring b/w characterization, plus a lot of witty humor. Best Read in a looooong time .

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 29th, 2012, 21:05
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Next up is Sanderson's The Alloy of Law, a stand-alone volume following the Mistborn Trilogy that takes place 300 years later in a Wild West sort of era. Should be interesting!
I finished that one a few weeks back, right after reading the Mistborn trilogy. I actually liked it more than the first trilogy! Instead of being straight-up fantasy, it's more of a wild west mystery with a massive dose of magic. The main character's sidekick was particularly fun.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

July 29th, 2012, 22:31
As soon as I finish Spooks: the history of MI5 from 1915-1939 I'm going to try Anna Kereinanananana again.

this book on MI5 is full of a bunch of facts and case files. They don't make much for good storytelling. Before all the services are combined it only focuses on MI5 so it only deals with counter-intelligence on the home front, when there is a lot more intrigue going on on the continent and the Americas he could be talking about as well.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

July 31st, 2012, 14:06
Started "A Song of Ice and Fire" by GRR Martin, since I want to watch the Game of Thrones series but don't want the experience to spoil the books.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

July 31st, 2012, 14:57
Reading the Ken Scott (recording Engineer/Producer) biography 'From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust'. Fascinating look inside so many classic recordings …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 31st, 2012, 20:27
Just started the first (chronologically) of the Chris Mullin diaries ("A Walk-On Part") - he was a UK member of Parliament and junior Minister in the Blair era. As political diaries go they are very entertaining - he's a likeable character, self-deprecating and cynical with a nice dry sense of humour.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

August 8th, 2012, 16:33
Green Mars.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

August 9th, 2012, 21:53
Reading Revelation Space right now, I have to say that so far the first half is quite hum-drum. I'm hoping the 2nd half has more stuff going on.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

August 14th, 2012, 22:41
"Garou" by Leonie Swann. Nice book. The story gets heated up all too slowly, but high enough in the end to get you kind of excited. A good "filler book", imho. I've read it during a longish railway journey.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 16th, 2012, 18:10
Green Mars.
Still reading — those Mars books are quite some volumes I must say. I'm about halfway through and love it just as much as Red Mars. It's absolutely stunning how much detail the author Kim Stanley put into the whole thing (read: landscape); a fact I appreciate all the more in light of the current Curiosity Mars expedition.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

August 16th, 2012, 18:19
Been reading Count Zero by William Gibson. I'm either not in a very cyberpunkian mood or this thing just isn't all that riveting. Keep wanting to put it down and read Red Mars instead.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

August 16th, 2012, 18:57
Finally had some free time to read and decided to give Sci-Fi a try again. Reading Rendezvous with Rama right now. About 1/3 through and really enjoying it.

I also downloaded an old pulp novel I saw referenced on Cracked.com, Edison Conquers Mars. It was written in 1898 as an unauthorized sequel to War of the Worlds. I love the illustrations. Really reminds me of Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams, I wonder if any of the designers were familiar with this book?

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

August 16th, 2012, 21:40
Metro 2033. A lot more spiritual than i thought a book like this could be, love the psilocybin references, makes me remember the best (and worst) parts of my own experiments with it.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

August 16th, 2012, 21:44
Still reading — those Mars books are quite some volumes I must say. I'm about halfway through and love it just as much as Red Mars. It's absolutely stunning how much detail the author Kim Stanley put into the whole thing (read: landscape); a fact I appreciate all the more in light of the current Curiosity Mars expedition.
I've read a LOT of Sci Fi books over the years. Few characters and settings have stuck in my mind as much as those from the Red Mars series. I really like the story being told from a first person perspective, with a perspective shift to different main characters for large parts of each book, yet staying chronological. Makes it feel like a very personal story from various individuals. Glad you're enjoying it!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 24th, 2012, 18:30
Need info on 50 shades of grey. I'm seriously considering reading it.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

August 24th, 2012, 18:33
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
Need info on 50 shades of grey. I'm seriously considering reading it.
Are you a woman? If not, then I'd say avoid it, but if you are married or have a girlfriend, BUY THEM ALL FOR YOUR WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!! It will change your life.

If you're a woman, well do it for the man in your life, and if you don't have one, I predict you will very soon after picking them up!

————————————————-

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

August 24th, 2012, 18:34
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
Finally had some free time to read and decided to give Sci-Fi a try again. Reading Rendezvous with Rama right now. About 1/3 through and really enjoying it.
Just finished reading this last night. I knew going into it that it unresolved at the end and wondered how I would like that since I am a big fan of closure. Didn't bother me though. Great book, definitely going to try some more of Clarke's work.

I also downloaded an old pulp novel I saw referenced on Cracked.com, Edison Conquers Mars. It was written in 1898 as an unauthorized sequel to War of the Worlds. I love the illustrations. Really reminds me of Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams, I wonder if any of the designers were familiar with this book?
Starting to read this tonight. I'm guardedly optimistic.

————————————————-

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?